Thermostat Change

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
zenbiker

Thermostat Change

Post by zenbiker »

I replaced my 160 thermostat with a 180 today. This will keep the motor at 180 at least. My FS-0120 fan switch turns on at about 200 and off at about 185-190 so my engine temps should now always run in the 180-200 range...Just where I want it to be. I never believed that cooler is better and after replacing my small block radiator with the BB item, the temps were always in the 160-165 range....Joe
AR

Re: Thermostat Change

Post by AR »

Joe,

curious as to what you were trying to achieve here - BB radiator would provide additional cooling power but then the higher temp fan thermostat would maitain a higher temp. Is there another benefit from the BB rad?..other than doing it 'for the hell of it' which i understand perfectly. 8-)
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Joe , I'm running a 160 stat which keeps my temp at 180 all the time unless stopped in traffic of course . If so my fan will come on at 205 and shut off at 185 . So my fan hardly ever runs under normal riding conditions . With your set up if your running at 200 most of the time and your fan comes on at 200 it seems that your fan must be running almost constantly . Yes , your fan will cool it down enough so the fan will shut off but as soon as your fan shuts off your temp again starts climbing back up to 200 and the fan comes on again . Seems like you would want to be running at a lower temp than your fan turn on point .

Jack
HOGV8
zenbiker

Post by zenbiker »

Jack
What makes you think I'm running at 200 with a 180 degree thermostat?
First of all, for some unknown reason, my FS-120 fan switch turns on at 205 and off at 190 :shock: I don't know why but it does. When I put it in several years ago it was 195/180 but for two years it has decided 205/190 is what it wants to do.
Second...The BB radiator kept me running at 160-165 with the 160 thermostat. This new radiator dropped my temps 15 degrees! What a difference in cooling capacity!
Now with the 180 thermostat it runs at 180 and in traffic the fan doesn't turn on until 205 and shuts off at 190.
Since the fan always turns on and off at the same temp, why would you think my fan is running more? It turns on and off at the same temperatures it did with the 160 thermostat. The only difference is the minimum running temp is higher. The fact that the running temp is higher doesn't make the engine get to fan turn on temp any faster. That's dictated by heat and conditions. The BB radiator makes the transition from 180 to 205 (FS turn on temp much longer)
What I wanted to accomplish is a minimum engine temp of 180. That's what thermostats do...establish minimum temps.
But, of course, the thermostat I put in is not closing and sometimes is not opening. I may need to replace it again. :cry:
PS. My fan does what yours does. On when hot and off when cooler. Mine turns on and off at high temps like yours. I'm not sure I understand your message. Why does setting a minimum of 180 make the fan turn on any more?? My turn on point is 205 and my thermostat is 180. My motor will not get hot enough to turn on the fan any faster than yours...In fact it will take longer due to the big radiator :) .. ..Joe
Last edited by zenbiker on Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Joe , sorry , I misunderstood .

Jack
zenbiker

Post by zenbiker »

Jack
Actually I was worried that the the fan might not shit off before until 180 and that the thermostat might not allow temps below 180 so that the fan would never shut off but as I said, my FS-120 only cools it down to 190 so no problem...Joe