Fuel Filter

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
mmaupin

Fuel Filter

Post by mmaupin »

The other day, I was checking the tranny fluid with the bike jacked up and running. Noticed a large puddle forming under the bike. It was gasoline from this POS filter. It had been in service for a couple of years with no problems. Then it loosened up on it's own and was leaking profusely.
https://www.facebook.com/MackChev/photo ... =3&theater

Bottom line is do not use these glass filters. If I remember correctly, a few years ago, I read on the other site that someone had a bike burn up and this type filter was suspected.

I was lucky not to have a fire.

Replaced that glass filter with an all metal one.
https://www.facebook.com/MackChev/photo ... =3&theater
Attachments
20170521_171226_001 (1).jpg
Regards,

Mark

rocketsteve

Re: Fuel Filter

Post by rocketsteve »

Good post Mark, checked mine and I have the full metal unit fitted- another possible worry off the list. 8-)
To test a man's character, give him (Hoss) power.
Orlando606VetteTrike

Post by Orlando606VetteTrike »

Mark I just removed one of those from a guys bike. It was laying on the left valve cover. Scary :(
2008 606 Corvette Trike
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

That was my '05 that caught fire and burned down 6 years ago. The insurance company sent out a cause and origin guy to inspect the bike but he was never able to determine for sure what the cause was, although I did have a glass filter that was shattered, but he couldn't tell for sure whether the glass broke before the fire or because of the fire. At any rate I would never use a glass filter again. Metal can type filter only.
2009 350/385 MBH bike
502wingman

Post by 502wingman »

I bought exactly this type of glas filter a couple of years ago because I liked to be able to see if it is dirty or so. I never installed it because that piece of crap was leaking from the first second. Never got it thight and also the construction is slowing down the flow of fuel. That filter is cutting the diameter of the line in about half
Peter the WingMan
Backnang, Germany
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

Jeg"s, Summit or any good supplier will have billet aluminum filters with replaceable 100 micron screens. I got mine from Jeg's8
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
The Mindless Philosopher

Post by The Mindless Philosopher »

I have two of those glass filters, one on the main line and one on my auxiliary. Have been using them for about two years.

The ends can came loose during installation, and went undetected for a while. I discovered a few drips from them after a few rides.

I resolved the issue by tightening the hose barbs on the end caps and then re-installing the fuel lines. I rolled the fuel lines a little, so that they naturally want to twist in the direction opposite the direction the ends/hose barbs want to turn to loosen up. The opposing forces work kind of like a rubber lock washer.

I inspect them regularly, and will continue to keep an eye on them.

Thank you for the info!
mmaupin

Post by mmaupin »

The Mindless Philosopher wrote:I have two of those glass filters, one on the main line and one on my auxiliary. Have been using them for about two years.

The ends can came loose during installation, and went undetected for a while. I discovered a few drips from them after a few rides.

I resolved the issue by tightening the hose barbs on the end caps and then re-installing the fuel lines. I rolled the fuel lines a little, so that they naturally want to twist in the direction opposite the direction the ends/hose barbs want to turn to loosen up. The opposing forces work kind of like a rubber lock washer.

I inspect them regularly, and will continue to keep an eye on them.

Thank you for the info!
Yes, when I read of Sonny's fire on the other board, the glass filter was only suspected. I like you thought with the proper installation bla-bla-bla. I would be fine.

After all, you can visually see what is going on with the filter and you can clean or replace the element when it gets dirty.

Then consider that the filter is installed 6 or 8 inches downstream of the petcock. Let's say a fire does get started in the area of the fuel filter. You most likely will not be able to get a hand on the petcock to shut the fuel off. Just has too many ill consequences.

Nothing but a steel cased filter for me.
Regards,

Mark

The Mindless Philosopher

Mine are installed about 6 inches or so behind the tank and under the seat, around 18 inches or so away from the tank's petcock, just before the three-way tank selector valve I attached to the frame behind my left leg. The trike gives me a bit more wiggle room than a bike would.

I don't know whether this would buy me much more time, but at least the drips won't be anywhere near the engine, and likely won't hit the transmission case either.

It was leaking directly onto the garage floor when I originally discovered it. Haven't had any issues since.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to argue or anything. Just stating that I will be keeping a closer eye on things, is all.
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

I don't understand why these filters are made of glass , what's wrong with clear plastic tubing .
No mater where you install these glass filters if they break and the fuel lands anywhere hot like exhaust pipes especially they are a hasard . A fuel pressure gage will tell you if you have fuel flow or not , you don't have to actually see the flow .
The Mindless Philosopher

hogv8 wrote:I don't understand why these filters are made of glass , what's wrong with clear plastic tubing .
No mater where you install these glass filters if they break and the fuel lands anywhere hot like exhaust pipes especially they are a hasard . A fuel pressure gage will tell you if you have fuel flow or not , you don't have to actually see the flow .
For the sake of seeing when the filter is getting plugged and needs to be removed and cleaned. They are designed to be re-used.

As to why they are made of glass and not a gasoline resistant plastic? I don't know.
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

The Mindless Philosopher wrote:
hogv8 wrote:I don't understand why these filters are made of glass , what's wrong with clear plastic tubing .
For the sake of seeing when the filter is getting plugged and needs to be removed and cleaned. They are designed to be re-used.

As to why they are made of glass and not a gasoline resistant plastic? I don't know.

I understand being able to see if they are dirty but they are also designed so yo u can see that yo u have fuel flow .