another tranny question

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
v8rider

another tranny question

Post by v8rider »

Felt some slippage in 2nd so want to do a complete tranny and converter flush;;; will this work--- drain tranny add a couple quarts of oil disconnect return line start bike until it stops pumping oil, refill Please advise ifwill work or is there better way? I have not found the right info for doing this correctly. Thankx for the help.
SQ4MN

Re: another tranny question

Post by SQ4MN »

I would not do it like that. If you drain the trans don't start it again until you fill it back up. I don't think you need to drain the torque converter but if you think you do then I guess you could start the bike up immediately after you filled the trans with fresh oil and let it run for a minute and then drain it all out and fill it with new oil all over again. The result is you will now be out about a hundred bucks but you will have real clean oil for a few miles. In any case if it was my bike I wouldn't let it run without the trans being full of oil.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
v8rider

Post by v8rider »

thank you for the advice, I got the bike last winter its an 03 and it has about 8k on it and after checking with the 2 previous owners it has never had any maintenance other than one oil change on the motor, it still have the stop air filter. Not a good thing for 13 years, especially for something that generates heat.
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

Hi V8rider,

My 2c - do a full service yourself, leave nothing to someone else's skills/knowledge.

Oil & filter
Air filter
Trans = Canuckhoss empties the trans,
cleans the trans filter
fills with fresh,
disconnects the return line from the cooler,
runs the engine until 1 Litre comes out then stops
Refills trans (1 litre)
and cycles until it's all new

I like the idea it's only ever 1L light of oil

RE other service issues oil cables, check fasteners, mounts, belts, change coolant etc they're in the manual

As an extra for a bike that's sat asleep for long periods I'd replace the fuel lines with braided in case someone's Ethanol gassed it and I'd change the gas filter. Definitely fresh coolant too.

Have fun, you'll find out a lot about it if you set aside a day to clean every inch top to bottom, right underneath - everywhere you can get your fingers.

But I won't ask you to tap the oil pan ;-)
Gordon from England
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

v8rider wrote:Felt some slippage in 2nd so want to do a complete tranny and converter flush;;; will this work--- drain tranny add a couple quarts of oil disconnect return line start bike until it stops pumping oil, refill Please advise ifwill work or is there better way? I have not found the right info for doing this correctly. Thankx for the help.

I will PM you my flushing procedure...good luck

It might help your problem...worth a shot to eliminate the oil anyways...
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

I think Barrys method is fine but its over the top. I don't think changing every ounce of oil is necessary unless its so full of brass that the trans needs to be overhauled. If you just drain the oil, blow out the internal filter, change the Magnafine filter and add fresh oil without disconnecting any lines you will be fine. If you do it the way Barry does make sure the oil level never gets to low while its running or you might cause damage. There will always be some brass particles in the oil. The idea is to have the contaminants be as less a percentage of clean oil as possible. The best way to do this is with regular oil changes, say once a year or every 5000 miles, which ever comes first. Each owner has an opinion on this but that is mine. I also have a 2003 with slightly over 30000 miles on it and so far no trouble.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada