Edelbrock 1901 choke

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
knockdolian

Edelbrock 1901 choke

Post by knockdolian »

Hi to anyone still at home in front of the computer and not having fun in Daytona !! How does my choke work. Im all over SU carbs but these monster single carbs are a mystery to me. Ive tried an internet search with not much joy. Its an Edelbrock 1901. its a Divorced choke. How does it work please ??
Thanks
:england:
GordonBH

Re: Edelbrock 1901 choke

Post by GordonBH »

Hi mate,

It operates off a bimetallic coil spring inside a choke coil housing on the passenger's (right) side of carb.

I presume you found this - http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/mis ... 0/1904.pdf

Fig 3 shows the coil operated choke with no housing. The tight coil spring heats up and moves the choke flap actuating rod.

A better link is here - Adjustment instructions contained in the following Jegs site page -

http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInstruc ... 0-1935.pdf

I run a Holley 750 so don't have personal experience of the 1901 but it looks pretty basic and adjustment via "bending the choke rod" appears a once and for all solution.
Gordon from England
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

GordonBH wrote:Hi mate,

I run a Holley 750 so don't have personal experience of the 1901 but it looks pretty basic and adjustment via "bending the choke rod" appears a once and for all solution.
Thanks Gordon, very helpful. I like your "basic" comment. Ill have to do more reading about this carb. Having only ever played with CV and SU carbs, I took the tank off to get my head around the 1901. One look and the tank went back on !!
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

Hi mate,

The basic referrred to the choke rod adjustment NOT the carb! LOL It does look like a real bugger. at least it only has 2 idle mix screws. But like all performance carbs if you have to pull it apart then an OEM rebuild kit should do you well. Check out the you tubes too.
Gordon from England
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

I removed all of the choke related stuff from my carburetor and tossed them. I haven't looked back. A few squirts in the morning and it fires right up. I have to feather the throttle for a minute until it warms up a bit, then it runs fine. A lot of us have done this or tied the choke open with a zip tie. A throttle lock also helps with warm up. Fire up the bike, set the lock at a fast idle, put on your riding gear, check the mirror to be sure you're badass looking and hit the road
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

Seems there's a lot to learn about these monsters !!
Thanks
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

I also have NO CHOKE at all in my carb. I've ridden where its hot and also where its below freezing without having a choke. Like LaFong says just give the twist grip a few twists to make the accelerator pump shoot some fuel into the manifold on a cold morning and the bike will start. You will have to keep working the twist grip for a minute to keep it running as needed but no big deal. In the real world the bike will breathe better without the choke butterfly being in the carb at all but its so slight a gain in horsepower that the rider won't feel it. The good part is that its one more thing that won't ever cause a problem.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
Swiss V8

Post by Swiss V8 »

On the SB I have the choke operating. I also have a Edelbrock 1901.
There is one big difference to the 1904. The choke on the 1901 is fully mecanical and the choke on the 1904 is electric.
So if your choke is active on the 1901 it's good for cold starts. As soon as the motor is warm it's not needed anymore.

There is a simple thing to recognize riders with a functional choke on a 1901. They don't have hair on the back side of their right hand. :dizzy: :screwloose:

If you twist the throttle with the motor off, the choke will fall in place. But thatway you won't be able to start the motor, as it would run too rich for a hot motor.
You need to move the rod for the flabs at the carb and turn the throttle again to secure it. And that's when you touch the valve covers and burn your hairs off of your back of your hand... :? :roll:

On the BB I have no choke. It get's warm quick enough...
Last edited by Swiss V8 on Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Martin

BHRA President Europe
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

They are all correct of course, when my electronic choke played up (and it often did) I followed their advice and gave it 4 twists and hit the button - roar! then feather the throttle, you are holding open the throttle blades a bit, - just as the choke fast idle does. I personally like a manual choke - no faffing around holding the throttle, I have a few things to get sorted as it warms up. Also I wanted to get into the carb and play and make most of the manual carb parts.

And, I still give it 2 twists, pull choke, hit button, then walk away, ear plugs, helmet, yadda yadda.

The thing's a toy after all and I like to play with it... :D
Gordon from England
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

.The thing's a toy after all and I like to play with it... :D[/quote]
Absolutely. Its all new to me. Ive been playing with engines for years but this is the first Yank bit of kit ive ever even looked at. I never imagined it would all be so different to what Ive known before. Still every day is a school day !! bet your looking forward to your forth coming trip ?
Puff

Post by Puff »

La Fong,

We don't need no stinkin' chokes !
:rofl:
Bill Van Sant

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Carl La Fong wrote:I removed all of the choke related stuff from my carburetor and tossed them. I haven't looked back. A few squirts in the morning and it fires right up. I have to feather the throttle for a minute until it warms up a bit, then it runs fine. A lot of us have done this or tied the choke open with a zip tie. A throttle lock also helps with warm up. Fire up the bike, set the lock at a fast idle, put on your riding gear, check the mirror to be sure you're badass looking and hit the road
"A lot of us have done this or tied the choke open with a zip tie."

INCLUDING the Factory with new bikes a few years back...
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
Oldun

Post by Oldun »

Am briefly back home visiting the Princess Bride and Beloved Children before heading out on the Next Assignment.

I need to do some grocery shopping. It takes longer to fire up the 502 and to warm it up, than to ride to the supermarket. So logically, I fire up the 502 and ride it to the supermarket.

A parking lot random guy says "where have you come from"? I say (the suburb up the hill).

He says "so why did you ride That, Here?"

Some people, don't get it.
My 100-proof woman
A bottle of 95-proof whiskey
A tank of 90-proof gas
And 502ci of V8 bike
:ridding: