SB valve covers

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
GordonBH

SB valve covers

Post by GordonBH »

Hi all,
Searched the archives but didn't find what I'm looking for - my SB 07 oil cap is on the right valve cover at the front and rubs against the gas 90deg. overflow tube. Can I simply swop the valve covers?

I've seen photos of SBs with the filler on the left. Swapping would put the filler cap at the rear left but what about the breather tube that currently is at the left side moving to the right?

I read about it being tight on space in there.

:england:
Gordon from England
Buck
$ite $upporter

Re: SB valve covers

Post by Buck »

do a web search and you can easily locate some valve cover caps that are much shorter than the OEM ones. It makes no difference which side you use for oil filling. On my old '02 I filled on the right side.
Buck
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

Thanks Buck
Gordon from England
Buck
$ite $upporter

Post by Buck »

GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

Hi Buck,

Thanks for your generous offer of help, it can be really challenging for us in the UK to get parts for our dream machines. I've jumped the gun a bit after your great advice on seeking out alternative caps vs the OEM and bought a low profile PROFORM chromed cap for the Chevy rockers that'll do the trick.

Thanks again, you've always come up trumps for me in my questions on the forum, hope you're riding nicely in the 20s to 30sC temps you have now. We're struggling with 15s to 18s here but summer's just around the corner.
Gordon from England
Swiss V8

Post by Swiss V8 »

Hi Gordon,
I know I'm a little late with that suggestion, but have you ever thought about rising your tank a bit?
It also gives you more room for a different airfilter, which will allow your motor to breathe better...
Martin

BHRA President Europe
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

Hi Martin,

The tank height is right for me - I like the look of it closer to the covers and the new cap is much lower. But I am thinking of buying a K&N E2500 so it will fit in there anyway.

I have spent the last 2 days fighting with the fast idle screw as it was firing up and running at 2,200rpm! way too loud for my retired neighbours - and too fast from cold for any engine. Getting at that screw was a swine but I eventually cut a 1/4" spanner in half, drilled the cut end and linked it to a wire to adjust it as it idled - got it down to a nice 1,000rpm.
Gordon from England
randy burkey

Post by randy burkey »

Gordon, I wonder what happened to cause your idle RPM to go up to 2200?? I don't think it's always been that high, and idle adjustment screws usually don't raise RPM's when out of adjustment..Sounds like something else caused your increase.. Do you have a functional choke? Does it change idle RPM when warm? Randy
phpBB [video]
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Randy has a good point . Make sure your choke is staying completely open and check the return springs on you throttle linkage . I have a spring on my choke linkage also to insure the choke is held wide open except when using my mechanical choke .
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

Good points guys,

It has always idled that high on fast idle since I imported it in October 13. It always settles down to 750 with a blip but of course if I blip it too early it needs a bit of feathering to keep running.

Re the choke, any tips on how to check it's fully open with the tank in situ?

The throttle linkage is returning it to idle OK but I'll check the return springs specially, I can fully control the idle curb screw so that seems OK.

We have odd weather here at the moment so I haven't ridden her properly - we have very fine sand from the Sahara mixing with smog so don't want to drag that mix through my air filter, but hopefully get her out on Monday for a good trial.
Gordon from England
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

Gordon -I would love to hear a ride report after Monday's ride - enjoy!!

hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

GordonBH wrote:Good points guys,

It has always idled that high on fast idle since I imported it in October 13. It always settles down to 750 with a blip but of course if I blip it too early it needs a bit of feathering to keep running.

Re the choke, any tips on how to check it's fully open with the tank in situ?

The throttle linkage is returning it to idle OK but I'll check the return springs specially, I can fully control the idle curb screw so that seems OK.

We have odd weather here at the moment so I haven't ridden her properly - we have very fine sand from the Sahara mixing with smog so don't want to drag that mix through my air filter, but hopefully get her out on Monday for a good trial.
If it's a Edelbrock carb the choke linkage is on the right side of the carb . The choke lower linkage arm should be all the back towards the rear of the carb to insure the choke is all the way open . If you can push the choke linkage rearward any amount that means your choke butterfly isn't fully opened . On this linkage is where I have a spring pulling that linkage arm rearward rearward .
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

It is a Holley 4bl doublepumper 750cfm and the choke linkage is on the right hand side too. It is well hidden by the electronic choke housing and I can only see a 10mm section of it with the seat off - looking in from the lower right side of the tank past the distributor. What I'll do so put tippex on the bit of the rod I can see and watch it as it warms up and see where it goes. The electronic choke housing is turned very much to the right (clockwise) and I believe that is geared towards a leaner setting with earlier choke off setting.
Gordon from England
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

Ride report: Weather demanded I hold off until today. Today it's Sunny, Temp 57F, dry roads.

Pushed it half way out of garage (it slopes up as soon as I'm out of garage door - I'll have to buy a new house :) )

Ignition off, twisted 1 full turn of throttle to set choke fast idle cam, Alarm off, Immobiliser off.

Ignition on, fuel on, check Neutral and kill switch and hit button.

Instant Vroom! @ 1,000rpm, lovely sound, just the right level. Wait a minute and blip to settle it down, idles a bit rough @ 800/900rpm, in a minute it smooths out @900.

Ease her up the drive, close the garage and off I go, I turn right at the end of our street and rumble easily for a few miles for a 160degree reading. Sounds great, pulls strongly. When warm I play along some of our few straight country roads. No hesitation or bogging, instant pick up, fierce acceleration, roar from open pipes = big grins!

I stop and idle when hot to check it doesn't foul up, looks and sounds right. Head off into town via our small twisties, and am reminded that this is not a vehicle for sharp bends, but it's all good handling experience. At the edge of town I took the seat off and eased down the idle to 650/700, result = chunkier but not enough to throw me left and right at the lights. In town, lots of thumbs up and people staring/pointing, it is lovely to blip the throttle a little between the street walls.

One thing, my blinkers weren't working - I think it's a result of much hacking by the electrician fitting my alarm last week as it was wired into the blinkers and he had a lot of issues. It turns out he came prepared for a motorcycle and found a "car missing 2 wheels and a body" and of course he's never seen a Hoss before. In the process of wiring up the alarm to blinkers he's shorted the blinker circuit, I've replaced the fuse and all OK (I'll keep an eye on it).

So, I'm happy again and ready for a full day's run when temps go over 65.

The main problem with my Hoss? I can't hear it rumbling past me, only others can. I'll have to get someone to film me :D
Gordon from England
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

I'm a dumbo, got my new oil cap (from Kentucky) and it's very low - it'll fit alright but I bought without thinking and checking and it's a push on cap but with no breather.

I'm no mechanic but my understanding (please correct) is the left hand is a PCV Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve as it has the tube running to the carb area and the right hand side oil cap must allow air in to balance the pressures through oil ways in the block?

So my pretty chevy bowtie oil cap is useless, lesson learnt. My new plan is to take a 10mm dia steel rod and strike the top inner curve of the breather cap - denting it - and then I can line up the new "detent" with the overflow bend. It's tucked away under the tank anyway.

It's going to be one of those one-shot moments as I don't want to distort the visible part. I can't hold it while striking as my hand will absorb energy. I will need to support the pristine side with a curve so it's not distorted and all the force goes into cleanly denting the cap.

This is the sort of thing Ric does, never shying away from a modification. I don't now if I'm in his league though. If I get it wrong I have an untidy cap until I can get a new 1.25" dia breather that's only 1 1/2" high.
Gordon from England
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

So what was making it idle high , the choke ?
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

A drill Bit on the underside of the New cap would resolve your issue and nobody would see them. :)
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

Luv luv luv the ride report!! I could feel the pure enjoyment with every twist of throttle and rumble of the engine. :ridding: :thumbup:

GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

Hi all,
Thanks for the input, I'll drill under the cap and try that, do I attempt to put some filtration over the holes? I can get some fine gauze.

Re the idle, the fast idle screw was well wound in, I backed it out 2 full turns. It's perfect now. The last owner had it that fast but would quickly blip the throttle and feather until warm. The choke seems to be fine I can hear the change over about 3 minutes of warm-up.

After spending hours trying to get at the fast idle screw (raising the tank doesn't help as the frame rail is still in the way) I've made a tool that can be used when it's in the warm up stage so I'll try to post a pic on a new thread as it may save others a lot of time.

I'm still toying with the idea of a back to manual choke conversion as I like to be in control and a timed electronic choke just isn't engine-temp related enough for me.

Sue, the ride report was for everybody but you did say the other week you wanted a ride report and so I had to comply :yourwelcome:
Gordon from England
randy burkey

Post by randy burkey »

Gordon, Glad to hear all is good with your bike..Be safe and enjoy the ride. Randy.. Oh, I liked the ride report too! :capwin:
phpBB [video]