New rear brake on Boss Hoss bikes

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
V8Bikers
Site Admin

New rear brake on Boss Hoss bikes

Post by V8Bikers »

I had not warmed up to the new setup till today. I found this pic on Mountains site on a new 606 they have for sale. Looks really good with the chrome center and caliper. Also, the caliper looks like a wildwood where the factory ones looked like they were straight off the local parts store bin. Makes me want one now!
Attachments
image.jpg

DeLand, FL.

"This is just one of the many reasons I love V8Bikers; able to openly display T&A, curse, say what you will;
able to be a fucking man here. Thanks Bill" - Grand Canard
petitemoose

Re: New rear brake on Boss Hoss bikes

Post by petitemoose »

I have the 2012 rear brake upgrade kit in my garage right now. Will lay it all out for a pic before the install.
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
Mark

Post by Mark »

Hi Bill,

here is another picture of the Brake setup:
IMG_0353.JPG
I believe it is the Boss Hoss Cologne Combo. Should be the AP racing kit with powdercoated vented disc and fully chromed. I will go for that upgrade eventually too.
235_0.JPG
There is in fact a redesigned mounting hub available. You may want to liaise with Tom at MBH or with Andy at Boss Hoss Germany.

Best regards

Mark
IMG_0723.jpg
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

Hey Petite - cant wait to see pics and a review on the new brake setup but just curious what was your reason for the the change? Did you ride a newer boss with this setup and noticed a significant difference, like the look, etc???

petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

Iron Maiden wrote:Hey Petite - cant wait to see pics and a review on the new brake setup but just curious what was your reason for the the change? Did you ride a newer boss with this setup and noticed a significant difference, like the look, etc???
The reason for the change is I grew tired of not having any rear brakes. I get on them like I need them once and the rotor turns blue and steams then I have no rear brakes for about 45 minutes. The kit pictured above looks different from what i just received from the factory. The factory sent me a Wildwood 5/8 bore master cylinder, Wagner Thermo-Quiet polished Caliper, new chromed aluminum brake pedal, Steel Braided brake line and a shiny ( not sure if its polished, nickel plated shiny or rough chromed ) brake rotor for the front right wheel of a Mustang. New Master Cylinder assy. chrome cover and a chrome cover for the exposed part of the rotor. For my application, the esthetics of the components are secondary as they will not be seen because of my saddle bags.
Will be creating an install log via pics to hopefully help any future installers. Boss Hoss does not send any Installation Instructions in the box So I will be figuring it out pretty much on my own with the exception of a few instructions regarding spacers from Doug at the factory.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6e18iljlzbv7w ... .06.42.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yyt9mbegyyivw ... 160700.jpg
Last edited by petitemoose on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

I'm sure it will be a nice upgrade, but it sounds like there was something wrong with your old brake system. It should not heat up and turn blue unless you're riding down from the top of Everest.. Under normal circumstances it should get no hotter than any other disc brake setup
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Carl La Fong wrote:I'm sure it will be a nice upgrade, but it sounds like there was something wrong with your old brake system. It should not heat up and turn blue unless you're riding down from the top of Everest.. Under normal circumstances it should get no hotter than any other disc brake setup

I agree .
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

Oh I am sure there is something wrong somewhere. Instead of spending the time and bucks to figure out what the defective part is ... I will just replace everything. The pads on the rear are new Lyndall pads and I know they were gripping because that kind of heat comes from friction. They never faded unless I used them to stop quickly from over 60 mph. Then they were toasted in about 50 feet. maybe the rotor just got hot one too many times ... who knows. in a couple days it will all just be a memory :)
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

Installed the Fluid end of the kit today and it all went well. I will start a separate thread detailing how I did the install and back it up with pics for those that want to know what it will consist of beforehand or even during their own install.
So far so good. I have a good pedal with all the new components feeding the old caliper so I know there is no reason why I shouldn't have the same or better with the new mechanicals.
Ric

Post by Ric »

I installed the factory upgrade on my bike. I had to replace the entire rotor because the buttons and the inner disc were so badly worn… it rattled when I just got ON the bike.

I had brake fade on the stock set up even after replacing the brake fluid. It's the second rotor in 50,000 miles. Maybe that's considered decent wear… but I now have 12,000 miles on the new set up… and would not consider going back.

I now have to replace my front rotors, because they too are quite worn. If they had a set up like the back brake Wilwood package I have now… I'd mount it up front even if it looked gangly. For the most part though… I don't have any real valid complaints with the Brembo front set up… because I now have 62,000 miles on them. I use my front brake at 60% and rear at 40% during normal operations.

$1,100.00 is a bit pricey for the initial exchange, but for the amount of hard riding miles I put on my bike… it's cheap insurance!

"Keep the magic alive!" He said.

Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, Canada