Looking For Front Tire Options

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
V-MAN

Looking For Front Tire Options

Post by V-MAN »

I'm going to copy/paste my post from the other site, I know many here do not visit that site and I need all the options I can get on a new tire.
Well it's time for another front tire. I've not found a front tire that I have been 100% sold on yet ... I have a Bridgestone G709 (I think thats what it is) on there right now and it's "cupped" badly and has been. I run the pressure @ 45lb and I'm real consistent on checking pressures, I believe the cupping is from the weight of the bike only

I should mention I run an 18" front wheel ... open to any suggestions! So what are you guys all happy with?

Thanks

Don
IF YOU TELL THE TRUTH YOU DON'T HAVE TO REMEMBER ANYTHING

Redtro

Re: Looking For Front Tire Options

Post by Redtro »

Don, I ran the Michelin Commander for years on my B.H. and was very happy with it. It didn't seem to last as long as the Avon (crap tire) but it was very smooth and wore evenly. I don't remember (for certain) if I ran the rear tire in reverse or the front tire forward (I believe I went with the front tire). Remember that Michelin makes a front and rear tire that are about the same size and some here chose the rear tire and mounted it backwards for their front tire. I don't know if Michelin makes the same tire for an 18" rim.

Confused? Helped? Not relevant for your size rim? Probably just restated what you already know....but, I did like that Michelin tire.
V-MAN

Post by V-MAN »

Redtro wrote:Don, I ran the Michelin Commander for years on my B.H. and was very happy with it. It didn't seem to last as long as the Avon (crap tire) but it was very smooth and wore evenly. I don't remember (for certain) if I ran the rear tire in reverse or the front tire forward (I believe I went with the front tire). Remember that Michelin makes a front and rear tire that are about the same size and some here chose the rear tire and mounted it backwards for their front tire. I don't know if Michelin makes the same tire for an 18" rim.

Confused? Helped? Not relevant for your size rim? Probably just restated what you already know....but, I did like that Michelin tire.

Thanks Ricky, I never used the Commander but have run the Pilot Touring (I believe) that is an 18" tire. I don't remember the specifics from my Michelin but assume I did not like it since I have a Bridgestone now! :lol: I will check and see if the Commander comes in 18

KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

Redtro wrote:....Don, I ran the Michelin Commander for years on my B.H. and was very happy with it....
I too ran it for a couple years on my single speed bike and was more than happy with it. I would recommend it highly. Unfortunatly I can't put it on my new bike, cause the load index of the Michelin Commander is only 72, which is 2 points lower than the currently used Avon.

To german laws, once a load rating is listed in the vehicle paperworks, you are not allowed to go any lower. And it's not allowed to mount rear tires with the same size, but higher load ratings backwards over here either. So I have to stick with the Avon.

But I would change back to the Michelin without any doubts if I could. Real good tire from a top quality manufacturer.

Olaf
V-MAN

Post by V-MAN »

KrautV8 wrote:
Redtro wrote:....Don, I ran the Michelin Commander for years on my B.H. and was very happy with it....
I too ran it for a couple years on my single speed bike and was more than happy with it. I would recommend it highly. Unfortunatly I can't put it on my new bike, cause the load index of the Michelin Commander is only 72, which is 2 points lower than the currently used Avon.

To german laws, once a load rating is listed in the vehicle paperworks, you are not allowed to go any lower. And it's not allowed to mount rear tires with the same size, but higher load ratings backwards over here either. So I have to stick with the Avon.

But I would change back to the Michelin without any doubts if I could. Real good tire from a top quality manufacturer.

Olaf
Thanks guys, I did some looking around and it appears the Commander is not made for my 18" wheel.

Olaf -
I can understand them not allowing a lower rated tire (I understand BUT don't agree with them) but why not a tire with higher ratings? That is too bad it's like that, but of course our govts always knows whats best for us ... NOT! I know you guys in DE do some awesome modifications to your bikes so tires are the only thing the govt regulates, is it the same for cars/trucks also?

Don

KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

Don,
sorry for the confusion. Higher load ratings are allowed. But not if it's a rear tire, mounted reversed.

The laws over here regulate almost everything on our bikes. As example: minimal distance between turn signals, minimal surface in square centimetrs of a rear view mirror, exhaust noises, tires...etc...

Some mods over here are legalized by a TUV inspection, and others not. If the police stops us, we hope that they don't notice the not legal mods...hahahaha....that works most of the time, cause most police officers don't know how a stock Boss Hoss looks like and they don't know what came with the bike and what not. That's the same for cars, trucks and bikes. The more exotic and rare your vehicle is, the less the risk to get a ticket for a not legal mod....hahahaha :-)

Olaf
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Olaf , we have similar regulations on our bikes here in the US also but basically you can get away with anything as long as it is within reason . Of course some inspection stations are stricter than others and some cops are stricter that others . One thing is for sure , if you have 24" ape-hangers or you are wearing one of the novelty helmets you will get stopped by the police at least here in New York State .

Jack
Paul H

Post by Paul H »

Here in Delaware we have to go to a state Inspection Lanes.
I have a little bag of stuff I keep for that day. I have steel wool
and baffles for the pipes. Reflectors for the sides, front and back.
Even a reflector under the tag. Of course after I get home all
the stuff goes back in the bag till 2 years comes around again.

Paul H
Puff

Post by Puff »

Inspection??!!??!!??!!??!! :o

What is this "thing" called "inspection" ??!!??!!??!!??!! :?

We have it easy in Dyersburg, I will admit! 8-)

No inspection here! :D

Jack D., I do remember state inspections,
when I lived in N.Y., .... on Long Island. :x

Bill
Bill Van Sant

hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Here in N.Y. state if you find the right guy/inspector he will just take your money and give you a inspection tag . So far the most I've ever had to do for an inspector is blow my horn and demonstrate that all my lights were working . No big deal . The only thing I hate is the law says the inspection sticker technically is supposed to be placed on the lefy front fork leg . !#$^%& but money talks .

Jack
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

Here in Las Vegas we don't have any inspections with one exception. If you build a bike out of different parts you have to show the receipts and have it inspected only the first time it is registered. It then is registered as a reconstructed vehicle. They inspect the bike to make sure it has turn signals, lights, including brake lights that work with the rear brake pedal and the front brake lever, a working horn, rear view mirrors, mufflers etc. The lights, horn, and turn signals must also work even when the bike is not running. My HD chopper dose not have a battery, it don't need one as it runs a magneto ignition and you kick it over to start it, a two brush generator with a built in regulator powers the lights when the motor runs. I mickey moused some Honda turn signals and a horn onto the bike for the inspection process along with a hacksaw blade taped to my front brake lever wired so that when you pulled on the front brake lever the blade would ground against it and work the brake light. Then I taped a dry cell lantern battery under the bike and wired it so that the horn and lights would work with the engine not running as mandated by law. In my day choppers never met many of the requirements of the law and I had no intention of this one being my only exception. I bought the bike in for the inspection expecting to be done with this foolish waste of my precious time in just a few minutes. Everything was going well until the inspector wanted me to beep the horn. The lantern battery didn't have much juice left after all the tests it had been through and the horn barely made a noise. I tried to talk the inspector into passing the bike anyway but he assured me that his only concern was my safety and he just couldn't pass the bike. After this tragic turn of events I returned home with the bike in the back of my truck. Determined not to suffer through this again I removed the lantern battery and ran some wires from my truck battery up through a little hole in the bed of the truck to where the lantern battery was previously connected and headed back to the inspection again. This time the horn was deafening and the bike passed. Now the bike has only the bare essentials and life is good. Dave/Squirm

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
Ric

Post by Ric »

Fortunately in the Canadian Province I live in, does not have an anual inspection. Although we must have all working components on our bikes, including atleast one mirror. For the most part, there isn't much concern from the police over how your bike is configured within reason. Most cities and towns here are not overly picky... but some towns and cities sometimes comes up with a 'blitz' such as noisy pipes, improper turn signals, no horns, too high of handle bars, etc. But after a few weeks, it goes back in to happy peaceful riding for most bikers.

It seems as though, the latest concern from motorcycles are the young wheelie crotch rocket riders.

Most of us old dawgs aren't even noticed.

"Keep the magic alive!" He said.

Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, Canada
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

I remember back in the day when most everybody I knew rode a chopper with just the bare necessities . Behind the bar of his biker bar that we all hung around we had one squeeze bulb horn that each of us would use to get our bikes thru inspection then the horn would be returned to the bar for the next person who needed it . Like Squim a lot of us ran megnetos and no battery . Sure were hard starting fuckers at times and other times could be a one kicker depending on how temperamental they wanted to be . My right knee still hurts sometimes when I think about how many times I have kick started Harleys . :lol: AHHHH the good old days .

Jack
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

Jack, I still like to kick start my chopper when Im around a bunch of other bikes because they look at you like you're performing some sort of an ancient ritual. Then when it starts they look amazed like as if a miracle just happened and I feel like I just won some sort of battle. I'm always grateful if it wasn't one of those times when you've kicked it three times more than you should have before it started. It seems strange but when you fire up a bike by kick starting it you get a feeling that you've earned the right to ride it. Dave

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
Paul H

Post by Paul H »

Dave, here in Delaware we can not take the bike
through in a trailer or pickup.
Guys I have done my share of kicking and braking
of parts. I was kicking a buddies sportster and it
backfired. My leg stayed down as the kicker peddel
tried to come back up and it shattered the kicker
support on the right side of the bike. I broke a 74
kicker once but it had been welded and not to good.
A local old time HD dealer near here had a Superglide
1972 FX that he just could not get started. I asked
him if I could give it a try. I started kicking one right
after another not waiting to get it up on compression.
After about 20 or so it fired up. We were both suprised.
He reminded me about many times over the years.
I even won a Kick Start contest once with my 1974
93" Superglide. 24 starts in a minute. That bike was so
well tuned I could start it with my hand sitting on the
bike.

Paul H
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

I could spend all day telling different kick start horror stories and some good ones but I can tell you right now , I don't care if I ever kick start another bike as long as I live .

Jack
Ric

Post by Ric »

My old '78 Shovel... 84 C.I. up grade... rebuilt four times over the 30 years I ran it... the electric start quit in 1983 or so... can't remember.... it usually kicked over around the 2nd or 3rd kick. Even after spending a winter under a snow bank come spring....

My last ride on that bike was when Tom and Adrian had my transmission on the BB BH... I rode the old Shovel to the Big Valley Jamboree (Canadain Country festival) That was in 2008. So I had the bike 31 years. And sold it to my buddy Tony... who will sit it on a shelf in his garage, when comes the time when I get all nostalgic, and want it back... but not yet..... no.... not yet.

"Keep the magic alive!" He said.

Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, Canada
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Hey Ric...find a home in Lloyd for the '53 I have on the floor...runs awesome!!
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Hey Ric , your Shovel brought back memories of my Shovels . Here's a picture of one of them , a 73 Shovel that I owned all thru the late 70's until the late 80's . Loved that bike .

Jack

firstboss

Post by firstboss »

Hey Guy´s
great Pictures of Old Shovels !!
thats my Old 71 Shovel , only Kickstart ,
i Ride this over 15 Years .

Uwe , Germany
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

Dang Jack, you make that Shovel look like a Sportster :lol:
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Elvis , I'm tall but really not that big as you know ( Tan Tar Rally ) . It was a 73 Super Glide FX that I tried to make as light as possible . Also I did extensive engine work on it and it was quick for what it was . Not much of a touring bike though , 85 miles per tank . Incidentally , I made the Alum.triple clamps .

Jack
Last edited by hogv8 on Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Nice FL Uwe .

Jack
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

Here's my 48 Panhead I stretched. 103", Holley 4 barrel. Andrews, Sifton, Trock, STD
Image Image Image
KISS

Post by KISS »

Haahh,i also have had some,here is one of them! :oops:
v2.jpg
v2 II.jpg