Front end chop

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Re: Front end chop

Post by CanuckHoss »

Carl is right..new fork tubes. When you use Kewl Metal trees they use the stock forks but they only go into the new trees as far as necessary to maintain the frame being level still, I believe 2 inches less than stock... and this keeps the front frame the same height off the ground. When you do as you are saying the stock forks will be too short...did I mention that keeping it stock is a real real good option? LOL
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

I hear everything said really I do. Look at the Kewl web site and see the pree 99 kit. I orderd that. that's not what comes. You need the 63mm forks for Kewl. I have 51mm forks. A company in uk billet bike bits will make custom trees and extenders for about £600. A new frame section will be about £1000-1500. Compare that to Kewl trees, $3000. 63mm forklegs ?? new spacers, fender maybe callipers. post, import duty and tax. As they say, you do the maths (yep it has an S on the end) !!!
As for the VIN plate. Its not an issue here. You just need the number stamped on the headstock. I'm surprised nobody has come forward to say they have raked the frame. I have seen V8 trikes on this forum with custom frames like the big green one. I will do all the investigating I need to do before making a decision. Barry Stock is good but this as is, isn't stock as BH didn't make this trike. When they did start building trikes the first thing they did was alter the steering to get correct trail. That's all I'm after really. 6 degree trees would put me in the ball park and rake would lighten the steering. Proper figure's from those that have done this would help. What do Chopper trikes run and how does a chopper handle compared to a BH stock ?
Thanks all again. Really I'm listening !!
Paul
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

V8 Chopper trikes are not cheap and don't really come up for sale that often. For the same year as a Boss Hoss I think you will pay more..I could be wrong. They are totally different beasts...both trikes but quite different.

They don't steer hard from the couple I have ridden...but then again neither does a 2001 up Boss Hoss trike if there are no health issues or shoulder / muscle issues...my take anyways.

Sounds like you can get it done really cheap in the UK compared to doing a Kewl setup.

Should be interesting to see what you come up with
CanuckHoss

knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

Sorry probably didn't make myself clear. I know I can't afford a chopper and not looking to buy one. Just interested in the differences and the steering geometry diggers ?
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

Another option is to just make it back into a bike again and sell the trike stuff to someone else!

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Somewhere I missed the WHY part of why you are so intent on changing the rake on an old trike....tell me again please??
CanuckHoss

knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

CanuckHoss wrote:Somewhere I missed the WHY part of why you are so intent on changing the rake on an old trike....tell me again please??
Heavy steering even with beach bars and very shaky head on uneven surfaces
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

SQ4MN wrote:Another option is to just make it back into a bike again and sell the trike stuff to someone else!
I'd still want to rake it !!