LS2, changing the alternator belt

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
KrautV8

LS2, changing the alternator belt

Post by KrautV8 »

Last weekend a Boss Hoss fellow from Hannover, 30 miles away from where I live, called me and asked if I would help him putting a new alternator belt on his 08 LS2. I said sure, and I told him that I will bring all tools we need for the job, because all tools he has are metric. Searched both V8 bike board for any info on the LS2 bikes related with changing an alt belt or at least some pics, but found nothing. I wanted to see if they changed something to see what tools I need to bring. Seems like there is not much info on the LS bikes in the boards at all.

When I arrived and after we had some coffee, we went over to the bike and I was surprised to see that the new LS2/LS3 Boss Hoss bikes have a tensioning roller between balancer and alternator. Not an automatic tensioning roller, it is a manual adjustable roller.

One more part what could leave one stranded in case the bearing fails, but sure made the belt tension easy to adjust. What I wanna say is - I have never noticed, heard or read of that change before....did you?

Olaf
SRF
Tech Advisorator

Re: LS2, changing the alternator belt

Post by SRF »

KrautV8 wrote:Last weekend a Boss Hoss fellow from Hannover, 30 miles away from where I live, called me and asked if I would help him putting a new alternator belt on his 08 LS2. I said sure, and I told him that I will bring all tools we need for the job, because all tools he has are metric. Searched both V8 bike board for any info on the LS2 bikes related with changing an alt belt or at least some pics, but found nothing. I wanted to see if they changed something to see what tools I need to bring. Seems like there is not much info on the LS bikes in the boards at all.

When I arrived and after we had some coffee, we went over to the bike and I was surprised to see that the new LS2/LS3 Boss Hoss bikes have a tensioning roller between balancer and alternator. Not an automatic tensioning roller, it is a manual adjustable roller.

One more part what could leave one stranded in case the bearing fails, but sure made the belt tension easy to adjust. What I wanna say is - I have never noticed, heard or read of that change before....did you?

Olaf
Check out this thread..... http://www.v8bikers.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1044
WM and I have both changed to the new style bracket. Seems to be a good design but before you get too excited check this one out too.... http://www.mybikeforums.com/forums/show ... ht=bracket

Shane
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

Shane,
thanks for posting. Somehow I have missed these subjects and did not knew about this new alternator bracket with tension roller.

Olaf
Ric

Post by Ric »

Hey Olaf, what are the specs on your gas tank? I like the looks of it, over the stock tank.

How many gallons? Does it interfere with the Distributor? Can you get at the Distributor with the tank still on? I can't see your guage layout because your sweetie's arms are blocking their view.

Who makes the tank?

I don't want to hi-jack this thread, so PM me if you can.

Thanks.

Ric

"Keep the magic alive!" He said.

Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, Canada
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

Ric wrote:Hey Olaf, what are the specs on your gas tank? I like the looks of it, over the stock tank.

How many gallons? Does it interfere with the Distributor? Can you get at the Distributor with the tank still on? I can't see your guage layout because your sweetie's arms are blocking their view.

Who makes the tank?

I don't want to hi-jack this thread, so PM me if you can.

Thanks.

Ric
Hi Ric,
the tank is a slightly modified Mountain Boss Hoss Stretch tank. It holds a little less than the stock tank, because of the cutout under the ram air hood. By the way - the weld on extensions at the rear are for the looks only, they hold no gas. It doesn't interfere with the distributor and you can adjust your ignition when you have small hands, but you can only feel and turn the dist with your finger tips from the side, you can't really get to the dist when the tank is on.

I posted a lot pics of the tank and the gauges here:
http://www.v8bikers.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=911
and here:
http://www.v8bikers.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=871

Olaf
Ric

Post by Ric »

Thanks Olaf.

I was considering repainting, as I have damage to my paint... so I thought I might address the Gas tank issue first.

"Keep the magic alive!" He said.

Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, Canada
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

Ric wrote:Thanks Olaf.

I was considering repainting, as I have damage to my paint... so I thought I might address the Gas tank issue first.
Ric,
one note on the tank - it was a very expensive mod. The Mountain tank alone was $2500 if I remember right. Not only that it had to be painted for $800, the labor for the new ram air scoop and the tin coating of all the weld seams was expensive, too...$600. Then I needed new gauges for another almost $1000, a new seat for 800 bucks and finally higher risers for my 1,5" Tolemar Handlebar, cause the handlebar interfered with the higher scoop.

Olaf
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

KrautV8 wrote:
Ric wrote:Thanks Olaf.

Ric,
one note on the tank - it was a very expensive mod. The Mountain tank alone was $2500 if I remember right. Not only that it had to be painted for $800, the labor for the new ram air scoop and the tin coating of all the weld seams was expensive, too...$600. Then I needed new gauges for another almost $1000, a new seat for 800 bucks and finally higher risers for my 1,5" Tolemar Handlebar, cause the handlebar interfered with the higher scoop.

Olaf
Olaf,

Looks like it was all worth it as she is so SWEEEET!!

And the bike is not bad either!HAHAHHAHA
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
ilovev8

Post by ilovev8 »

we do here north this something like that
[youtube]BQhfcdQf1QA[/youtube]
(.)<
Pete
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Looks dangerous but I wish it was that easy to change or replace a belt on a Boss Hoss .

Jack
AR

Post by AR »

Haha cool! 8-)

Reminds me of my patented 5 second solo side stand spring replacement technique...did i ever tell you about that?

(.)<