headlight aiming the scientific way

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
bob gbur

Re: headlight aiming the scientific way

Post by bob gbur »

i just keep moving it up every day till people start flipping me off , then down a knoch
zenbiker

Post by zenbiker »

"Horizontal adjustment should center the beam ahead of the line of the bike."

Paul...I don't know what this means? What does "ahead of the line of the bike" mean??....Joe
AR

Post by AR »

Joe,

you know when youre doing one of your examinations, you get yourself smack dab right in the middle to get an eyeful right???, well thats horizontal alignment for you:!:

See, you already knew what is was we just had to put in in Gyno speak for ya :P
gaston 2005 502
Location: South Texas & Working Around the World, Across The Nation And Up Your Street

Post by gaston 2005 502 »

Aussie Rob wrote:Joe,

you know when youre doing one of your examinations, you get yourself smack dab right in the middle to get an eyeful right???, well thats horizontal alignment for you:!:

See, you already knew what is was we just had to put in in Gyno speak for ya :P
Rob,

:D :D :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: Never heard of adjusting a, a, a, headlight,,, yea,,, that's what it is,,, that way,,,, but sure would want to try,,, will have to wait till I get home though :oops: :cry: :shock: did i say head light,, what i meant to say was,,,,, :twisted: :lol:
Darryl Campbell
zenbiker

Post by zenbiker »

[quote][/you know when you're doing one of your examinations, you get yourself smack dab right in the middle to get an eyeful right???, well that's horizontal alignment for you:!: quote]
Jeez...Everyone wants to do my job :shock: :mrgreen:
Would someone please forget the vaginas for even a minute and tell me what it means to center the beam AHEAD of the line of the bike??
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Joe , I'm sure it means that lets say your bike is 17 ft. away from a wall and the centerline of your wheels are at a perfect right angle to the wall you must move your headlight either right or left without turning your forks until the center of the headlight beam is dead center to the centerline of your wheels . On my garage floor I have square tiles so it's easy for me to line the wheels up on the tiles to get the bike square to the wall or very close anyway to make this adjustment . I think the real test is riding on a back road at night for your final vertical adjustment so you can see as much of the road as you feel comfortable with .

Jack
zenbiker

Post by zenbiker »

Jack..Thanks for the straight and intuitive answer!...Joe
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Mike , yes , I followed the instructions with good results but like I said I will tweak from there the way I like it . This VRod headlight is very bright especially on high beam which is what I always use during the daylight hours . I want to be seen however I don't want to be pissing anyone off with my highbeam blinding them in their rear view mirror either .

Jack