Bad gas

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
hogv8

Bad gas

Post by hogv8 »

Been here in Daytona for a week so far and the other day I took a chance on buying gas for my bike at a mom and pops 7-11 Quickstop on A1A near Dunlawton bridge . Wound up with a tank full of shit gas and bike started running like a piece of shit . So I had to buy a gas can , a length of 3/8" hose for draining , a new gas filter and a can of Seafoam gas additive . I drained the gas , changed the filter and put 5gals of good gas bought inland in the tank along with the Seafoam and now it runs like a raped ape again .
Take my advise , buy you gas inland or at least not on A1A or you may be sorry .
The Mindless Philosopher

Re: Bad gas

Post by The Mindless Philosopher »

I learned the same lesson with one of my cars in the middle of nowhere, Texas many moons ago. I could have avoided murdering the engine (oil belched all down the gullet through the air cleaner) if I had paid heed to the fact that I could not smell the gasoline while I was pumping it. That was the very first thing I noticed, but I ignored my gut. About ten or 20 miles up the road there were sudden chokes and sputters, then BLAMMO as I pulled onto the shoulder of the freeway. Had to tow the thing 300+ miles. Not fun.

So... If there's anything useful to take from my input, it is this: pay attention to whether you can smell gasoline while you pump it, even if you have to pull back the rubber nozzle cover a little. If you can't smell anything, you're likely pumping "water."

My two cents.

I'm glad your Hossy lived, Hog, and that it's running "raped ape" again! Enjoy!
Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

;) Perhaps, it was Diesel......
Life is to short, to drive small Bikes
Greg S

Post by Greg S »

My wife has looked at me in funny ways, but every time that I dispense fuel, I smell the nozzle first. This is done whether the fuel comes from a pump at a gas station, or from a 5 gallon container at my house. Primarily, I do this, to make sure that I have chosen the proper fuel type. Secondly, I do it to make sure that it smells fresh. I use regular gasoline in most vehicles, diesel in my truck and some tractors, and E85 in a bike that is turbocharged. I am sure that this unorthodox habit of mine, has saved me from experiencing some nasty surprises.

As a side note, some gas station pump nozzles have yellow handles for E85. Some have yellow handles for diesel. Very often, green means diesel, but not always. This has validated my habit of smelling the fuel every time.
Oldun

Post by Oldun »

V useful info. If we get stuck needing to gas up at a crap gas location in the US... does carrying Stabil or similar product solve the problem? Downunder I always shove some in the 502's tank whenever I can't find BP 98-octane-rated gas and so far... so good.
My 100-proof woman
A bottle of 95-proof whiskey
A tank of 90-proof gas
And 502ci of V8 bike
:ridding:
Paul H

Post by Paul H »

I think maybe a Octane booster would be better.
Staybil is more for longer storage periods of time, IMHO.
Kinda keeps the gas from going stale (BAD) and smelling like Varnish.

Paul H
Ron Radulski

Post by Ron Radulski »

That's exactly what I was thinking too, Paul.