New front tire

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
V8Bikers
Site Admin

New front tire

Post by V8Bikers »

About 3 weeks ago, I put on the new Avon Cobra tire with the 15k warranty. My previous Metzeler 888 needed replacement at 3,500 mi due to having a car tire and frequently being somewhat tilted. There was a 1in wide wear down to the wear bars on the left side - rest of the tire was fine. The tread is thicker and definitely a harder compound. It rides really well and I am happy with it. Will keep this post updated for those interested on how it wears after a couple thousand mi.
Attachments
ft tire.jpg
ft tire 1.jpg

DeLand, FL.

"This is just one of the many reasons I love V8Bikers; able to openly display T&A, curse, say what you will;
able to be a fucking man here. Thanks Bill" - Grand Canard
randy burkey

Re: New front tire

Post by randy burkey »

my avon did the same thing....wear out the left side..rear car tire..
phpBB [video]
V8Bikers
Site Admin

Post by V8Bikers »

How many miles did you get out of it?

DeLand, FL.

"This is just one of the many reasons I love V8Bikers; able to openly display T&A, curse, say what you will;
sharp1

Post by sharp1 »

crown in the road wear
randy burkey

Post by randy burkey »

V8Bikers wrote:How many miles did you get out of it?
According to my (poor) record keeping.. I 'think" between 6000-7000 miles. And I definitely blame car tire in rear for rapid front wear due to crown in roadways
phpBB [video]
Ravinsomniac

Post by Ravinsomniac »

V8Bikers wrote:About 3 weeks ago, I put on the new Avon Cobra tire with the 15k warranty. My previous Metzeler 888 needed replacement at 3,500 mi due to having a car tire and frequently being somewhat tilted. There was a 1in wide wear down to the wear bars on the left side - rest of the tire was fine. The tread is thicker and definitely a harder compound. It rides really well and I am happy with it. Will keep this post updated for those interested on how it wears after a couple thousand mi.
What size is your Cobra? For the past 15 years, I've been running several Avon Roadrunner 'AM20" 130/90/16 front tires and they get 'cups' in the tread after around 2000 miles and vibrate over 80 MPH. The tread design on the Cobra looks better.
502wingman

Post by 502wingman »

That Cobra is a nice tire, but on a heavy bike like the Boss it wont last long. On my bike I could get 4-5kmls out of it. That is with a MCrear tire and using only rear brake in day to day riding. I never use the front brake on the Boss unless I have to.
Peter the WingMan
Backnang, Germany
wag

Post by wag »

Funny, I never use the rear unless I have to due to the rapid wear on the rear pads.
V8Bikers
Site Admin

Post by V8Bikers »

Ravin, it is a 130/70/18

DeLand, FL.

Ravinsomniac

Post by Ravinsomniac »

In 130/90/16 size, the Avon Roadrunner tires have a max weight rating of 805 pounds, and the Metzeler (same size) has a max rating of 677 pounds. Any idea what the Avon Cobra will hold?
V8Bikers
Site Admin

Post by V8Bikers »

Here is what the Avon website states....
"unique pattern to resist irregular wear, an 80 load index for 992 pounds load carrying capacity and triple compound for high mileage center and more grip on the shoulders."

It also has a 15,000 mile warranty! We shall see...

http://www.avonmoto.com/products/cruise ... stom/cobra

DeLand, FL.

Ravinsomniac

Post by Ravinsomniac »

Thanks for the chart !
It says the MT90B16 replaces the 130/90/16
Gonna call my local bike shop and get one ordered tomorrow, so he can install it for me.
You da man. :thanks:
502wingman

Post by 502wingman »

@ Bill:
the 16" Cobra is the only approved by Avon for the BH here in Germany. It has a loadindex of 74H. You are saying you are using the 18". They vary between 63H and 69H. :hmmmm: My Indian chief already has a 67 front and the Roadmaster a 73. Bienes Indian Scout even has a 72 front tire......

@ Wag:
I am using the 230 Avon rear tire (which is a lot of rubber) and the Willwood brake. Lasts a lot longer than any front tire. This way I get at least 2000 extra miles out of the front tire.

May be our front tires have to take more abuse since we do have curvy roads in Europe. But they will never last 15000mls on a BH
Peter the WingMan
Backnang, Germany
502wingman

Post by 502wingman »

Copied from the Avon UK-website for search "Boss Hoss":

All models (2000 onwards)
Front Tyre
Cobra
Pressure front: 3.45bar (50psi)
Front size: MT90B16 74H or 130/90-16 73H
Rear Tyre
AM20/AM21
Pressure rear: 2.9 bar (42psi)
Rear size: 230/60B15 86H

This is what they approve. Everything else is your own experiment.....when you talk to their tech guy he will tell you that the Avon 300 is good too, but I personally have not seen that in writing. But day to day life proves that it works.
Peter the WingMan
Backnang, Germany
V8Bikers
Site Admin

Post by V8Bikers »

Ravin-you are welcome! Once you get some miles on it, please post an update. Love mine so far.

Peter, you are correct, my particular size does have a 600lb rating. The 992 lb rating was for a rear tire they offer. I highly doubt I will get anywhere near 10k let alone 15 but anything over the 3,500 I got with the Metzeler will be a bonus!

DeLand, FL.