Bike Update

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Bike Update

Post by Carl La Fong »

I've been up to my ears in other issues for a few months and have not found time or initiative to work on the bike. The carb problems have been documented and dealt with. So, to date, here's what I've done. New carb, coil, cap, rotor, module, plugs and wires. Timing is on the money, compression is good, although I do have one weak cylinder. Gas is squirting into the throttle bores. Absolutely no signs that it wants to start. Cranks fine, but nada, nothing. I pulled a plug wire and tried a spare plug, grounded to the engine. A weak, pissy little spark. I tested the pickup coil, last month, and it was within specs. Now, I retest it today and it shows it's bad. I have a new one coming in the morning. It is the last part that is not brand new, top of the line stuff. Everything is Accel, GM, Delco, Holley or other name brand stuff. Tomorrow will tell the tale. I'm almost afraid to try since, if it doesn't work, that's it. There are no more options left.
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
randy burkey

Re: Bike Update

Post by randy burkey »

Sounds like your on the right path to a solution..Unless your gasoline is piss.. It should fire :dunno:
phpBB [video]
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

Since its the only part that hasn't been replaced and it tests bad I think the new one will make it run.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

Fire in the hole!!!
It runs!!!
It is, woefully, out of time but it runs. I have to pull the distributor and move it one tooth so I can get it on the mark. The wires and other stuff, in the way, won't allow me to turn it enough. I'll save that for morning and, hopefully, a hot lap around the block. It's gonna feel good to get a little seat time
randy burkey

Post by randy burkey »

that's good to hear
phpBB [video]
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

GOOD NEWS,

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
Orlando606VetteTrike

Post by Orlando606VetteTrike »

Sweet. Glad to hear you narrowed it down. :-)
2008 606 Corvette Trike
Ron Radulski

Post by Ron Radulski »

Carl La Fong wrote:Fire in the hole!!!
It runs!!!
It is, woefully, out of time but it runs. I have to pull the distributor and move it one tooth so I can get it on the mark. The wires and other stuff, in the way, won't allow me to turn it enough. I'll save that for morning and, hopefully, a hot lap around the block. It's gonna feel good to get a little seat time
Good deal Carl! I have a question. Did I miss somewhere in one of your posts where you pulled out the distributor? Just wondering. Triker
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Triker wrote:
Carl La Fong wrote:Fire in the hole!!!
It runs!!!
Good deal Carl! I have a question. Did I miss somewhere in one of your posts where you pulled out the distributor? Just wondering. Triker
Don't you have to remove the distributor to replace the pick up coil ?
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

I've had the distributor out, about a zillion times, during this, latest, ordeal. I can do it in my sleep.
And, yes, it does have to come out and apart to change the pickup coil. Simple job, really. Takes less than 5 minutes
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

Did you get it in time now? Is it running good?

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

Nah. I was away all day. Just got home. Tomorrow morning I'll get to it. Still have one more (???) trip to the DMV to get plates for the truck. That's at 3:30, so I have all day, practically, to get it right.
Hopes are high.

If it doesn't work out, then I blame Obama, Hillary, Whoopie Goldberg and Comey.................and UFOs
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

Update ????

Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

I went for a ride, last month, with my club. It ran OK, but overheated. I cut the ride short and went home. I stopped at a parking lot and reset the timing, by ear. It ran better and cooler. I am thinking that the cam timing might be off a tooth. When I set it with the marks on the pulley, it doesn't run right. I think I'll set it with a vacuum gauge instead. Right now, I am busy repairing the transmission in my old truck. As I suspected, after yanking the trans out, the input shaft snapped like a twig. 100 bucks and it'll be good as new