Trans Oil

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Orlando606VetteTrike

Trans Oil

Post by Orlando606VetteTrike »

I don't know how many of you are aware of this, but David Ward (Oil Man) has blended a trans oil for us Hoss owners. Just thought I'd share.
Attachments
image.jpeg
2008 606 Corvette Trike
V-MAN

Re: Trans Oil

Post by V-MAN »

Anything coming out of David's facility will be top notch, he's a hard working dude that demands the best! On top of being a work-a-holic and perfectionist he's a great guy!
IF YOU TELL THE TRUTH YOU DON'T HAVE TO REMEMBER ANYTHING

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Interesting..thicker than what is recommended and way thicker than the auto tranny fluid ATF that some rebuilders recommend.

David knows his stuff..hopefully he chimes in with a "simple" explanation for us "simple" guys..
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

I'm sure David's new trans oil is top notch but I'm always skeptical about switching to something new when what I'm using seems to work perfectly . If I thought his new oil would be beneficial I would switch in a heartbeat . We need a guinea pig .
Orlando606VetteTrike

I'll be the guinea pig since I was fortunate enough to find such a low mileage A model trans bike.
2008 606 Corvette Trike
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

Very intrested and quite a weight, would be keen to see Dave's technical explanation.
Gordon from England
Oil Man

Post by Oil Man »

We made this fluid not based on my knowledge of Boss Hoss trannies but based on Marv Jorgensen's knowledge. In a nutshell he explained that there was a need to maintain more pressure when the trans was warm to keep the clutch pack from disengaging. We made a heavier oil for him that has worked well since. Marv feels that the heavier oil would be better for the trans overall. He has been using the trans fluid as well as the engine oil for a year and a half now. I simply made what he was looking for. He is the expert on the trans. I am not..

We have been tremendously successful in the racing world because we do not compromise or cut corners. Much of what we learn in NHRA, WoO, NASCAR, and all of the other series we work in ends up in products like these.

For this reason we make oil for people such as DART (coming in 30 days) Precision Turbo, Jon Kaase, Hughes Performance (transmissions), and Sweet Mfg. (power steering) In the V Twin world we make oil exclusively for Vance & Hines for the street market. This oil has just arrived at their warehouses across the country and will be hitting the motorcycle stores soon.

We have been working hard for 4 years now and have not been around much. We have however been making quite a good track record.

As always I'm willing to answer any questions. and make best recommendations based on our motorcycle experience coupled with 22 years of experience in this industry.

If there is something I don't have an answer to I simply have to ask our Technical director. The gentleman I hired has 40 years of experience in the lubricants industry. He has 29 domestic patents, has written 5 textbooks on lubricants and lubricant chemistry and has over 130 technical articles published. He also has a Doctorate in organic chemistry. We are very lucky to have him.

Barry, simple but long post... sorry.

David
Orlando606VetteTrike

Thank you David.
2008 606 Corvette Trike
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Simple enough dvid..thank you

Not riding any Boss Hoss bikes myself anymore or I would put this oil in myself and test...not likely it needs testing though
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

I am wondering about the shifting times from when the bike is cold. My bike shifts from first to second very slow unless the oil is warm. Normally when I first start the bike at the beginning of the day I ride it in first gear only for about ten minutes. After that my transmission oil temperature gauge starts to read about 120 degrees and then I can shift it into second gear whenever I want and it shifts instantly. If I shift it before that it takes it a second or two to make the shift and I don't think that is good for it. If the oil is heavier will it take it longer before it can shift properly since it will have to get hotter in order for it to thin out enough to shift fast. My trans has three and one half quarts of oil more than a stock Boss Hoss trans as it has an auxiliary transmission oil tank, maybe thats why it takes so long for the oil to get warm enough to shift properly, once the oil is warm it shifts fine, it never gets over 150 degrees no matter how hot it is outside or on a long grade packing my wife or anything else. I like any oil David has anything to do with as he is a fanatic about oil and I don't believe any oil could be better than his. The 70 wt is what has me wondering if it would be good in my particular case since I have the extra oil.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

I don't remember why but I remember Tom Chatwell saying that when the trans is cold it's best to shift out of first gear as soon as possible . Does anyone recall reading this ?
Oil Man

Post by Oil Man »

This particular Trans oil is not the only one we have. I have this formulation in 20w60, 15w50, 10w40, and 5w30. So the whole list is covered. It is built with extra antioxidants to handle the heat.

David
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

This loks interesting, but as always being in the UK I probably can't get a hold of it. :cry:

International postage would be crippling.

I expect a full oil change is in order too so it would take a few quarts (7/8?)
Gordon from England