Power Up Oil ??? Ever Use it

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Gila

Power Up Oil ??? Ever Use it

Post by Gila »

Hey All

Has anyone here heard of power-up oil products ,,, I am told they are the best of the best ,,, very expensive but the best ,,, I am told you put like an once to a gallon of oil and it makes all the difference in the world ,,,

Mike

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Re: Power Up Oil ??? Ever Use it

Post by CanuckHoss »

Gila wrote:Hey All

Has anyone here heard of power-up oil products ,,, I am told they are the best of the best ,,, very expensive but the best ,,, I am told you put like an once to a gallon of oil and it makes all the difference in the world ,,,

Mike
Mike...I used that additive when I was farming...in all the oils...hydraulic..motor etc etc...

Would have been nice to do some accurate testing like temperatures before and after but I did not.

I was buying it buy the 5 gallon pail as I truly believed.

This was all before synthetics were popular.

Should be interesting to see if any one else actually heard of it before.
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

Never heard of it before. The guy to ask would be Oil Man. The problem with that is everyone wants to seem to argue with the guy every time he offers his educated opinion so I doubt he will chime in.
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

SNAKE OIL!

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

My opinion on this type of thing is if it's truly the best stuff that makes all the difference in the world why aren't all the car manufacturers using it as standard equipment? Kind of like the balancing beads that people rave about as being the best. Why aren't they standard issue with a new car instead of the proven good old fashioned lead weights?
2009 350/385 MBH bike
Ron Radulski

Post by Ron Radulski »

Gila wrote:Hey All

Mike
Sounds like the same as "SLICK 50". Does anyone remember that stuff? I'm a firm believer in changing your engine oil and filter every 3,000 miles whether it be synthetic or regular motor oil, as long as it is a premium grade oil. IMO. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. lol
2crzy

Post by 2crzy »

Yup used it when I was farming and trucking, bought in in 5 gallon pails, expensive but I just cant tell you if it really made a difference. I know the company got sued and went broke at one time and then someone else took it over. Not sure if its still alive or not. I still have a half a pail of it. Slick 50 was very heavy stuff, this was like water and it smelled bad. Read about it on line, not sure what ever happed to it. Snake Oil !!!
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Anything that makes the claim it's the best stuff in the world yet isn't used as the automotive standard should be viewed with skepticism.
2009 350/385 MBH bike
Oil Man

Post by Oil Man »

petitemoose wrote:Never heard of it before. The guy to ask would be Oil Man. The problem with that is everyone wants to seem to argue with the guy every time he offers his educated opinion so I doubt he will chime in.
Dennis, Thank you for the compliment. I have actually been pretty busy and rarely visit the forums but I can offer at lease a good thought process on these additives.

Power up, Pro Long, Millitec, Pro Blend and many many others were at least when introduced made from a chlorinated paraffin. Chlorinated paraffins are used every day in tens of thousands of places in metal working applications. Every so often someone will use a chlorinated paraffin in an engine oil with a bearing tester make a big splash then virtually exit the market.

Historically I have told people to stay away from the additives 100% because they were not always properly inhibited in motor oil formulations and the chlorine in the presence of moisture will form Hydrochloric acid which can quickly lead to rust. I have first hand experience with this in an NHRA Pro stop car team who used Pro Long against my advice and when he had a very expensive rotating assembly on the bench and had to open his air conditioned shop on a 90 degree day with 90% humidity.... well lets just say the following morning he had a completely rusted rotating assembly.

Chlorinated Parafins are recently under attack by the EPA and a current ban of all but the longest chain molecules has temporarily been postponed. I'm not sure how that will ultimately play out for the additive people as I would have no idea which ones they use in their formulation.

There is a simple test to determine if there is chlorine in the additive/lubricant. You first clean (sand) a piece of solid copper wire. Then dip the wire in the oil or additive. Last you pass the oil coated copper in front of a propane torch. If you observe a green flash when the wire passes through the flame the test is positive for chlorine.

I was recently asked to evaluate Pro Long because one of the Pro Stock teams added it to our oil and saw an improvement. I as always threw my rust experience out there and asked if there was rust seen upon dissasembly. The answer was no. I agreed to keep an open mind and let the lab results speak for themselves. I blended the Pro Long in our drag race oil and began a battery of tests. I was sure that the corrosion tests would fail completely. At the end of the day I ran D-130 (copper corrosion), D-665 A and B (rust) and 4 ball wear. Very much to my surprise as much as I wanted to tell them to throw the additive in the trash the results said using it was OK. Both corrosion tests passed with flying colors and the 4 ball wear combined with out oil left scars on the balls that were so small we could not find their location to run them on our profilometer that we use to trace and quantify the scar.

I reported back that blended with our oil I could not give them a reason not to use the combination. I cannot say how it works in other oils because I did not test anything else nor do I have in interest in doing so. We purchase very good and very expensive corrosion inhibitors so the results may or may not be the same elsewhere.

These additives have their place. It is a very small place in the big picture. in this case it was a Pro Stock Suzuki. Anywhere you see greater than 25,000 psi load on a given part the additives will be a lifesaver if properly inhibited. EVERY top fuel team should be using a product combination that includes a chlorinated paraffin. However a lightly loaded small block may have more risk than reward.

More than anything this has taught me the importance of keeping an open mind even when you have first hand knowledge of something. Nothing is absolute.

On a side note at 9:30 eastern today on MAV TV there is a portion of the performance TV show that includes some footage in my plant. We co-brand an oil for Precision Turbo & Engine called "HPL". The interview is split between Harry Hruska who owns Precision and myself with High Performance Lubricants. You can get a quick glimpse inside our facility and half of our lab. Harry's Pro Mod is the fastest NHRA legal pro mod in the world. I am sure they will cut footage of the car in the thing somewhere. I will be watching it for the first time as well. We do not get to see previews of the show. It will also air again at 4 PM eastern on MAV TV. If you don't have MAV TV it airs tomorrow morning at 9:30 eastern on the Velocity network.

David
Oil Man

Post by Oil Man »

Here is a link to the show.

https://vimeo.com/162195020/0e9e37c905
Orlando606VetteTrike

Post by Orlando606VetteTrike »

Cool video. Thanks for sharing. I have first hand experience with your engine oil and how clean it's made the inside of my motor. Looking forward to using your trans blend very soon. Great stuff. Keep up the good work. :-)
2008 606 Corvette Trike