2003 502 tach wire

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
v8rider

2003 502 tach wire

Post by v8rider »

On my 03 big block I am going to install a tach and there is a tach wire from the distributor that disappears into the wiring harness but I'll be dam if I can finded out where it comes out at. There has got to be a connection up in front of the carb somewhere I would think??? Does anyone know where it pokes out of the wiring harness at?
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Re: 2003 502 tach wire

Post by CanuckHoss »

I am doing this from memory and I am not that mechanical.

I think there is a clip with 2 wires that attaches to the right front of the distributor...one is the power and the other is the tach feed...someone please speak up if I am wrong...

Food for thought - I have actually wired an LED light just under the tank to that power wire...that way if the bike won't fire I check the LED light...if it is on then I at least know there is power to the distributor and also know that the kill switch is working...I have had faulty kill switches and there was not an easy way to tell...
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

I think he's looking for the other end
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Carl La Fong wrote:I think he's looking for the other end

Hmmm...maybe I misread Carl...thanks

For sure you can find it under the dash and tie into it there as there are 2 or 3 big bundles of wire that run into the dash
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

I can only refer to my 2007 - the tach wire is #34 (14 guage GPT) and the hot distributor wire is #9, and my #34 is attached to a type E6 (8-point) connector block that plugs into the dash harness - the wires that run into this block are (in order from point 1 to 8):
#G1
#34 (point 7)

Find any of these in your wiring and the #34 should be there or at least the pin and socket for a wire. Under the dash that #34 wire feeds to a triangular connector for the stock tach.

The connector sits to the left of the distributor, next to the other main dash harness connector. They are easy to reach with the seat off, no tank lifting. Picture taken just now with just the seat off.
Attachments
Tach wire and connector.jpg
Gordon from England
v8rider

Post by v8rider »

thank's Gorden it is the # 34 wire and there are a couple I could not ID on the plugs. this helps I know plug, that might be one of the ones I can't not read. Thank you
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

My pleasure mate, the 34 you can just see in the pic I had to pull out to show even a small part of it.

My pins run #1 top left to #4 top right, drop down to the lower row to #5 then left to #8 so mine is second left on the lower row.

They are tightly packed in there as they get bundled into the wrap in less than an inch. It unplugs easily - that might help ID the location.
Gordon from England
v8rider

Post by v8rider »

Thanks again and love the color of your bike looks awesome
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

Every once in a while my tach does not work for about a mile and then starts working and usually works for a few weeks or more and then does the same thing again. Also when this happens I sometimes rev the engine and the tach starts working only the needle is going backwards! That has happened twice in the last couple of years. Is my tach going bad? Of course I can't find a loose wire or anything to give me a clue why this happens. It might go six months before it happens again. I love this bike because its self healing.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

(Off topic) - I should have bought stock in the polish company!!! - and Mothers Billett!
Gordon from England