Hemperly-ized Boss

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
zenbiker

Hemperly-ized Boss

Post by zenbiker »

The time, detail and expertise that Jeff is putting into my Boss is amazing:

Complete Tranny rebuild with heavy duty main shaft bearing and bored out check ball hole
New front pulley
Chrome rear hub
Custom made SS battery box and 925 battery
Replaced all tranny and cooler lines with polished SS tubing beautifully bent
502 radiator
In line trans filter
Mallory Hall Effect distributor and coil
All new polished SS wheel spacers
Made much heavier polished SS front motor mounts
HID headlight
Completely rerouted and cleaned up wiring replacing connectors with high quality items
Blue Seas fuse box
Greasable swing arm bushing
Fabricating new SS alternator cover/air dam. SS radiator grille
New floating SS front rotors/resurfaced rear rotor
Rebuilt all calipers
Gorgeous SS tubular frame gussets
Repowdercoated rear half of frame
Remade alternator bracket
Knurled polished SS knobs to remove side covers and to remove seat
Replaced ignition switch plate with beautiful handmade SS item with toggle switches for headlight and reserve tank

Also many other details like replacing every steel nut and bolt he could with polished stainless items. His work is impeccable. He is a master machinist and makes most of the items himself. Clean and neat. He, basically, dismantled the entire machine and is detailing it's reassembly the right way and the way it should have been done originally.
I can't wait to get it back...Joe
hogv8

Re: Hemperly-ized Boss

Post by hogv8 »

Mike , I don't think a ball bearing or a roller bearing would be suited for the swing arm because they are designed to be applied to a rotating application . I think the bushing Idea is OK but they need to be beefier , more precision made and we definitely need to be able to lubricate them .

Jack
zenbiker

Post by zenbiker »

Jeff really did his own thing with the swing arm. Bushings are face to face and bolts are tightened. Maybe Jeff can post a graphic...Joe
AR

Post by AR »

zenbiker wrote:Jeff really did his own thing with the swing arm. Bushings are face to face and bolts are tightened. Maybe Jeff can post a graphic...Joe
Wow, dream overhaul/update..even though we quickly get used to them these are still hi-po bikes and need that sort of attention for us V8Bikers to stay confident. Please send Jeff to Sydney for a holiday :)
zenbiker

Post by zenbiker »

Rob...You know, I was really thinking about a new Boss. Then I started to think about all of the upgrades I've done over the years and realized that the cost and work in getting a new Boss to the level it is would be prohibitive. I decided this will be my "Hot rod" and I will keep working it towards perfection. It will always be a work in progress and it will never end.
I can't even begin to think of the total $$$ I have into it now (I'll guess at 70+K)...but it is MY baby and I've decided that my direction will be continued improvements.
Next year...Maybe a bigger motor and new paint...Who knows ;)
zenbiker

Post by zenbiker »

More stuff..Jeff rebuilt the alternator with new bearings and brushes and is fabricating an air dam (SS) which will protect the alternator. Also a polished SS diamond pattern grill over the new 502 radiator. Looks great!
Will post pics as things develop.Click on the pics for enlargement.
grillofchoice006.jpg
http://shutter07.pictures.aol.com/data/ ... ms0060.jpg
grillofchoice007.jpg
Attachments
grillofchoice008.jpg
AR

Post by AR »

Yep I think the black fan is the way to go. Nothing on these bikes ages them so much as a flakey pretend chrome scuffed up plasticky shitty fan. :roll: