Very wierd fuel sender problem

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
GordonBH

Very wierd fuel sender problem

Post by GordonBH »

Hi all,

Confession first :twisted: - I'm so confused I have submitted this thread to both sites in the hope an answer comes my way.

I really use my fuel guage so recently I've noticed it sticking, it takes a few hundred yards to register new gallons of gas after the gas station and yesterday I ran for 60 miles at half the lights - all the time - no drop in lights, normally that would result in 2 lights and the red gas pump! So today started her up and red gas pump and 2 lights so off to gas station - put in 2 UK galls which I know will take it up to half the lights to check and no change!. I get it home and even with all the vibration still no change.

So I pulled the sender and checked it, - it moves freely - no snags, magnet securely in place and at the top of the float. Still, I rounded the edges a titchy bit and polished it and it glides up and down. I connect it and tip it up and down and the lights go right up smoothly up and down exactly to cue. Put it straight back into the gas tank and zip! one light (the base reading) and red gas pump light! What?! :banghead: The float is a black material and doesn't feel like styrofoam.

So back out it comes and I check I didn't imagine the gas level - no it's half up the left tank - I measured and with the sender base out pushed up the float to the same level and half the lights showed (as normal). Confused... I checked the holes in the sender tube letting gas in and out - all 3 clear and when I pull the sender out of the gas tank I have to let it all drain before clearing the top of the tank or gas goes everywhere! So gas flows in and out OK and yet the float doesn't appear to rise.

Now here's the wierdest thing - I wired up the sender (complete) and dipped it into a measuring jug of water next to the tank and hey Presto! lights go up and down to cue as I drop and raise the sender in and out of the measuring jug - ?!?!?! so the float works in water perfectly, not in gas?! I couldn't believe my eyes! :dunno:

Any ideas? I'm totally confused and really want a gas guage that works.
Gordon from England
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Re: Very wierd fuel sender problem

Post by Iron Maiden »

Take the palm of your left hand and gently tap the bottom of the gas tank - :toofunny:

petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The only thing that was different between the water jar and fuel tank test was the liquid and ground wire ...
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

:what she said: :toofunny:

So after tapping the gas tank...

Seriously, I decided to think on about Dennis' words and thought WTF I'll get some gas to do a better test and put a couple of gals in the beast to top it off and check with a full tank.

So went to button it all up and after seating the sender I hand threaded screw #1 (top right) and no other holes lined up! :?: so pulled the screw, turned on the ignition (1 gas light), pulled up the sender and turned it clockwise until the wires coming out of the sender were facing 3 o'clock. Then I could see 5 holes and wiggled it to check the seating - then the second light came on!, red gas pump goes off, more lights appear, up to 5! Pure joy! :rofl:

I don't know why the holes are not equally spaced unless you have to fit the sender in only 1 position. :?: and that appears to be critical when in situ.

So, it appears to be fine, especially as I took her off the axle stands and onto the sidestand and got another light!

The sender circuit board has evenly spaced resistors(?) and each inch of gas seems to equate to 1 light. In my case vertical depth of gas was 5" (5 lights) and the top of the sender is at 8" of gas (=the max 8 lights).
Gordon from England
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

GordonBH wrote::what she said: :toofunny:

So after tapping the gas tank...

Seriously, I decided to think on about Dennis' words and thought WTF I'll get some gas to do a better test and put a couple of gals in the beast to top it off and check with a full tank.

So went to button it all up and after seating the sender I hand threaded screw #1 (top right) and no other holes lined up! :?: so pulled the screw, turned on the ignition (1 gas light), pulled up the sender and turned it clockwise until the wires coming out of the sender were facing 3 o'clock. Then I could see 5 holes and wiggled it to check the seating - then the second light came on!, red gas pump goes off, more lights appear, up to 5! Pure joy! :rofl:

I don't know why the holes are not equally spaced unless you have to fit the sender in only 1 position. :?: and that appears to be critical when in situ.

So, it appears to be fine, especially as I took her off the axle stands and onto the sidestand and got another light!

The sender circuit board has evenly spaced resistors(?) and each inch of gas seems to equate to 1 light. In my case vertical depth of gas was 5" (5 lights) and the top of the sender is at 8" of gas (=the max 8 lights).
Gordon,

I have replaced probably 5 senders or so on different bikes and trikes. Never have I had an alignment problem when putting back in...set the sender down and screwed it in...just luck 5 times?? Not sure.

At least it is working....I believe tapping on the pan last year has caused other problems that are now cropping up...or maybe not...lol
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

Yes Barry, I'm sure all that tapping has done for my eyesight too LOL :toofunny:
Gordon from England