Adjusting belt

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
V8Bikers
Site Admin

Adjusting belt

Post by V8Bikers »

Is it best to adjust the belt on stands or with the bike on the ground? The manual does not say. I have done them on he ground before but am having a problem. It is the same distance on both sides and the tension is set to 400. When I walk the bike back, the belt walks into the tire in about 8 ft but goes back to center 8 ft forward. What am I missing?. it has been years since I did one. It does have the open rear pulley. Also made sure that the belt was in the middle of the pulley when it was loose before starting the adjustment process.

DeLand, FL.

"This is just one of the many reasons I love V8Bikers; able to openly display T&A, curse, say what you will;
able to be a fucking man here. Thanks Bill" - Grand Canard
502wingman

Re: Adjusting belt

Post by 502wingman »

Bill,
usually I lift the back a bit (just put a little scisscor type jack underneath the tranny) and let the engine run. Thats the easiest way to see if the belt will stay centered. Go to 450 (I would think with the 606) with the left screw and center with the right and check again.
Once you are at it you can also check the trans fluid level by putting it in gear and let it run for a couple of minutes.
Good luck
Peter
Peter the WingMan
Backnang, Germany
V-MAN

Re: Adjusting belt

Post by V-MAN »

Bill -

I always adjusted my belt with rear up on stands. Like Peter I had engine running and would watch the belt track. I didn't have an open pully on my bike but less then 500# tension my "little engine" would slip the belt. I can't imagine the open pully would allow you to run less tension :dunno:

Don
IF YOU TELL THE TRUTH YOU DON'T HAVE TO REMEMBER ANYTHING