ABS is coming?

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
w1ldman

ABS is coming?

Post by w1ldman »

A couple of interesting links today from visordown

:arrow: http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-new ... 21856.html

and this not related to ABS but also of interest and explains why we don't hear from French V8 bikers. Yet.

:arrow: http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-new ... 21859.html
Dip Shit 434

Re: ABS is coming?

Post by Dip Shit 434 »

i for one will not own a bike with ABS, though i am closed minded. i do know how i hate cars/trucks with ABS. my reason is with smooth road stopping i encounter no issue, but how many smooth roads do you stop on? Issue for me is when you stop and the road is bumpy and ya gotta stop pretty quick and the ABS activiates when the bumps are hit,, it has caused concerns for me in the past and am sure it will continue, ABS not for me,,,

who likes it on a bike and does this happen on bikes as well?

Darryl :crash:
502wingman

Post by 502wingman »

I think it is a very good idea to force Boss Hoss to finally install Power Brakes and ABS on their bikes because starting 2016 they will not be allowed to sell any without it to Europe anymore. The brakes on the Boss are the worst in the industry. They are not brakes, just a decelaration device.
Sit on an up to date BMW and pull the front brake with just one or two fingers and you know what I am talking about.

Peter
Peter the WingMan
Backnang, Germany
Dip Shit 434

Post by Dip Shit 434 »

Peter,, tell us how you really feel:)
when i had my Hoss the briford caliper made the rear brake functional, for the first time i could lock up the rear wheel if i wanted to. So you have ridden a bike with ABS? i have not but i do hate cars with it. If you have give us a ride report if you would. On a bike are they the same as in a car going over bumpy road during stopping and you can feel the ABS activating thus not slowing as you would without it?

Darryl :crash:
502wingman

Post by 502wingman »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfffXkoJvUU

http://www.gaskrank.tv/tv/motorrad-schu ... e-5041.htm

I have the Wilwood rear braake on my Boss and I have no problem to block the wheel. But blocking the wheel is not the point because the bike starts wagging the tail so you have to let it go and brake again (pump the brake) ABS does this a lot better.

My front brake on my Boss is a Brembo which is one of the best brakes available. No way to block the front wheel !!! So with a power brake and ABS I could defintly brake a lot harder and stop faster.

I rode a 1200 BMW GS several times in Spain and when I pull the front brake with only two fingers I almost bite in the bar.

I love my Boss and I would never trade, but when it comes to braking the Boss is just bullshit !

Peter
Peter the WingMan
Backnang, Germany
Puff

Post by Puff »

When I rode the new(2011) BMW 1600
in the Alps last summer(2011), I was impressed
with its stopping power. 2 fingers !
Peter, I like your description: "Deceleration Device" !
:mrgreen: :iagree: :ten: :what_he_said:
Bill Van Sant

Shriner

Post by Shriner »

I was on my BMW K1200 LT and had truck turn left directly into my path. When he finally saw me, he stopped right in my lane. Some of you know the feeling you get when you know you gonna wreck and i instantly got that feeling :yikes: . I grabbed all the brake i could and before i knew what happened, i was stopped about six inches from the passenger door. :thumbup:
If i had been on my Hoss or any other bike without without ABS, it would have been a serious crash and who knows what the outcome would have been.
All i can say from my personal experience, is that i will without a doubt support ABS being put on any motorcycle :badtothebone:

Gil
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

I was against ABS on bikes until my last Hardley. The 2011 RGU had ABS and on a wet day on a wet road it saved my butt. No way I would have been able to stop when and how i did without it.
As for the brakes on my Hoss ... Suck doesn't even come CLOSE to coming close to describe it how almost non existent they are! I have to clean brake pad material out of the rear rotor holes!
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
ElsV8

Post by ElsV8 »

The ABS thing could be a subject as widely disagreed on as car vs m/c tires, which oil is better, or orange bikes are faster than yellow ones. It's hard to argue the technology and with cars, it's been evidenced that ABS makes a big difference and is significantly safer.

I would opt for them 100/1 on any of my 4 wheel vehicles. On the bikes though, I don't like them, can't get used to them, and can't manage sudden stopping as well with them . Have them on the HD Electra Glide, and had them on the BMW K1200LT and don't care for them at all on either of these bikes.

Els

.................... "Too Much Of A Good Thing Is Not Enough"

... Image
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

I've never ridden a bike with ABS brakes but after seeing the side by side video of two identical bikes attempting to stop on wet pavement one with ABS and one without I was impressed .
V8Bikers
Site Admin

Post by V8Bikers »

Attachments
abs.jpg

DeLand, FL.

"This is just one of the many reasons I love V8Bikers; able to openly display T&A, curse, say what you will;
able to be a fucking man here. Thanks Bill" - Grand Canard