Won't start now????

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Badger

Won't start now????

Post by Badger »

Put the holley red on about an hour ago...Fired right up then died....I forgot to turn the gas on,so I turned the gas on...Tried to start it but no lights no nothing but the solenoid clicking...fuses good,12 volts to solenoid good,all connections to solenoid good...just clicking.

I might have shorted something out....don't know....If it's clicking like that I assume it's dead and needs to be replaced...am I right?

I HATE being dead in the water.........

Badger Dave
Attachments
DSC01176.JPG
Ric

Re: Won't start now????

Post by Ric »

I truly hate this kind of problem. Because you only installed the new fuel pump, and all was working before... then now nothing works. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

It may be a coincidence, but then again, I'm about to switch to a new Holley red myself when it arrives in the mail.

Is there only two wires to the Holley pump? And you simply swapped the old pump out with two wires?

I know that the Holley Red has an adjustment to regulate it's pressure from 0 - 7 psi... but that shouldn't be an issue for the rest of the electrical.

It IS possible that you touched a hot lead to ground, popping a fuse. I think it would be good to check all of the fuses on your panel anyway. I think you have the older style that has 10 fuses. I have the newer style panel with 10 fuses, and room for more. But I DO have another fuse inline, but I'm not sure yet what it serves. I'll check into it.

If the fuel pump comes on, but the starter doesn't, I'd look into the starter issues.

You mentioned that you don't have a wiring schematic on here more than once... and everyone seems to want you to go to WAG's site. What you should do is PLEAD with someone with a BB the same year as yours, and have them fax or scan and e-mail you their total wiring diagrams. My '06 has about five pages of diagrams. One of under the gas tank, one of the handle bar switches, on of the main Harness... etc.

I have a little wiring savvy, but I'm also haunted with a problem that I haven't yet solved. My bike runs now... but at any time, it quits and will not start for Love 'nor Money! I usually have to trailer it home. It's a mysery-fest each time.

I'll watch both threads on this... some of the ideas guys come up with are worth a listen, even if they dont seem related.

Oh. And you'll notice that there is less response to tech fixes on this site, than there is on the .com site.

Not sure why though.

"Keep the magic alive!" He said.

Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, Canada
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Ric wrote:I truly hate this kind of problem. Because you only installed the new fuel pump, and all was working before... then now nothing works. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

It may be a coincidence, but then again, I'm about to switch to a new Holley red myself when it arrives in the mail.

Is there only two wires to the Holley pump? And you simply swapped the old pump out with two wires?

I know that the Holley Red has an adjustment to regulate it's pressure from 0 - 7 psi... but that shouldn't be an issue for the rest of the electrical.

It IS possible that you touched a hot lead to ground, popping a fuse. I think it would be good to check all of the fuses on your panel anyway. I think you have the older style that has 10 fuses. I have the newer style panel with 10 fuses, and room for more. But I DO have another fuse inline, but I'm not sure yet what it serves. I'll check into it.

If the fuel pump comes on, but the starter doesn't, I'd look into the starter issues.

You mentioned that you don't have a wiring schematic on here more than once... and everyone seems to want you to go to WAG's site. What you should do is PLEAD with someone with a BB the same year as yours, and have them fax or scan and e-mail you their total wiring diagrams. My '06 has about five pages of diagrams. One of under the gas tank, one of the handle bar switches, on of the main Harness... etc.

I have a little wiring savvy, but I'm also haunted with a problem that I haven't yet solved. My bike runs now... but at any time, it quits and will not start for Love 'nor Money! I usually have to trailer it home. It's a mysery-fest each time.

I'll watch both threads on this... some of the ideas guys come up with are worth a listen, even if they dont seem related.

Oh. And you'll notice that there is less response to tech fixes on this site, than there is on the .com site.

Not sure why though.
Hey Ric , what makes you think that the Holley Reds fuel pressure can be adjusted without a separate fuel pressure regulator . I read the complete instruction sheet that came with mine and all I can see is where it says that the Red has a built in regulator and is preset to 7 lbs. pressure . Did I miss something ?

Jack
HOGV8
502wingman

Post by 502wingman »

Jump the selenoid and see if its running. May be the selenoid is cliking but still not working ???
Peter the WingMan
Backnang, Germany
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

hogv8 wrote:
Ric wrote:I truly hate this kind of problem. Because you only installed the new fuel pump, and all was working before... then now nothing works. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Not sure why though.
Hey Ric , what makes you think that the Holley Reds fuel pressure can be adjusted without a separate fuel pressure regulator . I read the complete instruction sheet that came with mine and all I can see is where it says that the Red has a built in regulator and is preset to 7 lbs. pressure . Did I miss something ?

Jack
HOGV8
Jack,
Holy shit, I'm so glad you said this, because I installed a Holley Red and ran it for 3 years at my 99 single speed bike and when I now have read on the .com site about the possibility to adjust the pressure directly at the pump, I felt like a mega idiot not to know this and install a pressure regulator instead....hahahahaha....now that you posted that it's not possible to make any adjustents, I feel better again (.)<

But this Edelbrock "Quiet flow" fuel pump has a real build in pressure regulator and this one IS adjustable directly at the pump. I know first hand, cause Andy installed it to the black/red "Stingray II" 620cui bike. It is part number EDL-1791 and the cost is $154.95 at Summit.

Scroll down all the way to the bottom of the instructions to see the fuel pressure adjustment:

http://static.summitracing.com/global/i ... tricfu.pdf

Olaf
Ric

Post by Ric »

I don't have the HOlley red fuel pump yet Jack, however, it appears that there is an adjustment screw on the side of it, just like the Edlebrock pump Olaf posted. So, I might be talking out of school here on this pump.

I'm under the impression, that our carbs need about 5 psi, that maybe 7 is a bit much. If it turns out that they aren't field adjustable, I'll purchase a regulator to get he flow we need.

Thanks for posting that....

hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Olaf , that fuel pressure adjustment on your Edelbrock fuel pump is a nice feature for sure .

Ric, I had always ran a fuel pressure regulator with my Holley red pump set at about 5lbs. but since Adrian says we don't need no stinking regulator with the Holley red I am going to try mine without a regulator at 7 lbs. and see how it acts . If I have a problem at 7 lbs . I will go back to using my stinking regulator set at about 5 lbs.

Jack
AR

Post by AR »

hogv8 wrote:Olaf , that fuel pressure adjustment on your Edelbrock fuel pump is a nice feature for sure .

Ric, I had always ran a fuel pressure regulator with my Holley red pump set at about 5lbs. but since Adrian says we don't need no stinking regulator with the Holley red I am going to try mine without a regulator at 7 lbs. and see how it acts . If I have a problem at 7 lbs . I will go back to using my stinking regulator set at about 5 lbs.

Jack
Hehe..funny.

Unless things have changed in recent years the red wont come with a regulator but the blue does. I run the blue set too high probably around 7psi because 5 is for pussies & more is always better right? :lol:
Ric

Post by Ric »

Well Oz Rob, I think we are back to the 'other side' of the Equator thing... in North America, it's the Holley Red that has the reg. and the Blue doesn't.

Now the Holley Red in Oz doesn't have the reg, and the blue one does... so tell me, are your's left hand thread like your drivers? You know... driving on the wrong side of the road biznazz...

But a question for Jack... if we DO need a stinking regulator... which one do we need? Can you get it from Summit Racing?

AR

Post by AR »

never noticed a limit to HP for the 'red' before. hehe, this will piss some of the BB guys off. Better read the fine print. :lol:

:arrow: http://www.holley.com/types/Electric%20 ... ureted.asp

hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Ric wrote:Well Oz Rob, I think we are back to the 'other side' of the Equator thing... in North America, it's the Holley Red that has the reg. and the Blue doesn't.

Now the Holley Red in Oz doesn't have the reg, and the blue one does... so tell me, are your's left hand thread like your drivers? You know... driving on the wrong side of the road biznazz...

But a question for Jack... if we DO need a stinking regulator... which one do we need? Can you get it from Summit Racing?

Ric , Holley brand regulators are sold by Summit Racing , about $30.00 . Like I said , I'm going to try my Red at 7 lbs. without a regulator but I wouldn't be surprised if I'll be reinstalling my regulator so I can reduce the pressure to about 4-5lbs. for my SB .

I remember back a few years ago I was telling Carb Mike that my bike was running rich and he suggested reducing the fuel pressure to 4-5 lbs. and see if it helped . It did . Since then I've had the Stage II done to my carb so maybe 7 lbs. will be OK . We will see .

Jack

Jack
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Ric , I have put about 300 miles on my bike since I installed my new Holley red with no regulator and it runs great at 7 lbs. pressure . I installed a T in my fuel line leading to the carb and installed a 1" dia. fuel pressure gage so it comes out between the right side cover and the rear of the right cylinder head . Now I can just look down anytime while riding and read the fuel pressure .

Jack