2010 brake line lock...

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
KrautV8

2010 brake line lock...

Post by KrautV8 »

I think about upgrading to the new 2010 unit. Has someone here tried it yet? Prices? Maybe even pics?

I never use the stock one which came with the bike for known reasons, but the new one is hopefully better.

Olaf
Ric

Re: 2010 brake line lock...

Post by Ric »

Just a casual thought Olaf.... why bother? Just don't park your bike on uneven ground. Or the 'jiffy stand' (Harley like locking mechanism) on the stock Boss Hoss kick stand will hold your bike up ok, without sliding forward or back... unless you are on STEEP terrain.

Our bikes will be fine without the brake line locks. I've been a few years without one, and if I find I'm on steep terrain.... I just park on flatter ground.

Are things different in your country that dictates a NEED for the line lock?

"Keep the magic alive!" He said.

Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, Canada
Swiss V8

Post by Swiss V8 »

I did think about something like that for 2 years already.

I did ask Petra Müller in Germany, but I have no answer yet :cry:

@Ric
I shurely know some places where you want something holding your Boss Hoss in place, the Swiss Alps :mrgreen:
Attachments
Swiss Alps
Swiss Alps
Last edited by Swiss V8 on Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martin

BHRA President Europe
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

Ric wrote:Just a casual thought Olaf.... why bother? Just don't park your bike on uneven ground. Or the 'jiffy stand' (Harley like locking mechanism) on the stock Boss Hoss kick stand will hold your bike up ok, without sliding forward or back... unless you are on STEEP terrain.

Our bikes will be fine without the brake line locks. I've been a few years without one, and if I find I'm on steep terrain.... I just park on flatter ground.

Are things different in your country that dictates a NEED for the line lock?
I do it exactly like you - I don't park on uneven ground. Didn't had a park brake on my single speed bike for years anyways and I never felt a really need for the park brake and used it only one time since I bought the 07 bike.

But from time to time there comes a situation when I thought "damn, would be nice to have a functional park brake unit now.." - like when you have to stop for more than 10 minutes uphill because of heavy traffic or an accident in front of you on a narrow road. That's an example for a situation where I would like to take the hands off the handlebar, and would like to have both feet on the ground, or better - get off the bike to smoke a cigarette or something instead of sitting on the bike and pull the front brake or push the rear brake for half an hour or so. Such situations are not often, but they happend to me from time to time.

If it's a cheap upgrade (what I think it is), and works better, why not?

Olaf
Ric

Post by Ric »

Understood Olaf and Swiss.... This is our flat roads... couldn't find a camera that would take a real steep road picture.

Jep... many reasons to have the brake lock, as you mentioned. Hope you find the device that fixes your need.

:D

"Keep the magic alive!" He said.

Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, Canada
502wingman

Post by 502wingman »

1)- pull your front brake
2)- put a 20 or 50 cent coin in the gap
3)- dont forget the coin when you come back ;-)

I know it is cheap, but it works........

Peter
Peter the WingMan
Backnang, Germany
Swiss V8

Post by Swiss V8 »

As a security, if the brake lock fails, I use a bolt which fits into the holes of the rear brake disk(the original from 2001). It is long enough to reach over the swingarm. I have a red flag on it which says: 'Remove before flight!' :mrgreen:

It saved me two or three times to run after the parked Boss Hoss. :o

I'll post pics soon. :oops:
Martin

BHRA President Europe
Swiss V8

Post by Swiss V8 »

I know it's not the brake, but WTF its a great road. :mrgreen:
Attachments
Its called the Tremola. Really old, and made of cobblestone...
Its called the Tremola. Really old, and made of cobblestone...
Martin

BHRA President Europe
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

FYI,

took some time, but I installed it today and I like it so much better than the old unit.

Olaf
Attachments
P1010238.JPG
P1010237.JPG
P1010229.JPG
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Olaf...it is not a "push" lock anymore from what I see..it is a "turn" lock...no???
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

CanuckHoss wrote:Olaf...it is not a "push" lock anymore from what I see..it is a "turn" lock...no???
Hi Barry,

yes, it's a quarter-turn plug valve. That's what all new 2010 bikes come with.

Olaf
bob4108

Post by bob4108 »

Olaf for years I used a very short bungee cord wrapped around the handlebar and front brake lever, cheap easy to use and works. :)
ImageImage
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Here's my brake lock . Clean and simple .

http://s482.photobucket.com/albums/rr18 ... ake009.mp4

Click on above link to see a video.
Jack
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Mike , Actually I have left my brake lock on for several days and it still was holding . Something must have caused yours to bleed down .

Jack
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

Jack, I too love your front park brake a lot! I already bought two used ATV controls off ebay and thought about fabricating something similar to yours. It's not as easy with my joker style controls as it was with the pre 2005 Hartley controls, but possible with some machining.

WM,
I have no part number, but it is a Swagelok valve. It has no mounting holes but comes with two small mounting brackets which fit perfect and the kit is not too expensive....about 60 dollar. The bolts and fittings are also included.

Olaf
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

bob4108 wrote:Olaf for years I used a very short bungee cord wrapped around the handlebar and front brake lever, cheap easy to use and works. :)
Bob,
good idea. A friend of mine carried a cable tie in his jacket and used it for years, that works fine, too.

Olaf
KISS

Post by KISS »

Jack,what a nice set up You have,again!!! 8-) 8-) 8-)
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

KISS wrote:Jack,what a nice set up You have,again!!! 8-) 8-) 8-)

Thank you,

Jack
bob4108

Post by bob4108 »

Jack it is a great looking setup that comes from sitting up, looking out the window on those long cold Syracuse winter nights without anything to do but dream up and setup great stuff that those of us in Fl don't seem to find the time to do. I remember those days 80 mi south of you but don't regret moving. I do miss the Dinosaur BBQ in your town, was a great place to ride to on the weekends. Haven't seen you the last few Bikeweeks but will still be on the lookout for you and the Mrs.
ImageImage
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

bob4108 wrote:Jack it is a great looking setup that comes from sitting up, looking out the window on those long cold Syracuse winter nights without anything to do but dream up and setup great stuff that those of us in Fl don't seem to find the time to do. I remember those days 80 mi south of you but don't regret moving. I do miss the Dinosaur BBQ in your town, was a great place to ride to on the weekends. Haven't seen you the last few Bikeweeks but will still be on the lookout for you and the Mrs.

Bob ,. your right about the winters up here . Cheryl and I are in Daytona Bike week , the week before and after , possibly more . Hope we meet up sometime .

Jack
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

w1ldman wrote:Olaf, that appears to be some type of Swagelok? Do you know which one?

http://www.swagelok.com/search/find_pro ... 298/type-1

Wildman,
now I have two good pics of the kit, with part number.

(thank you, Mario Keck, for sending it to me)
Olaf
Attachments
IMGP4377.JPG
IMGP4374.JPG