IMPORTANT - FOR LS-3 485 HP OWNERS ONLY

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
craig haymaker

IMPORTANT - FOR LS-3 485 HP OWNERS ONLY

Post by craig haymaker »

NOTICE:
If you or someone you know has this engine config. in your Boss Hoss cycle or trike, please pay attention to what I have to say here.
If you have ANY "run ability issues", ( like dying, stumbling, rich smell on start-up, surging and the like), the most probable cause is your ECM's program "has been" compromised !
To repeat what has been said here before, due to the faulty factory's ECM wiring harness design, "VOLTAGE SPIKES CAN FRAG PORTIONS OF THE ECM's PROGRAM" !!
We have already discussed the "kill switch" usage "patch-around" in attempt to prevent such ECM issues.
But I am here to tell you this, and please repeat after me : DO NOT GO TO BH FOR A REPLACEMENT ECM.
They WILL SEND you a 445 hp. programmed ECM and
IT WILL NOT WORK ! They DO NOT HAVE the 485 hp. ECM program download !
You will need to contact Brian Macey of Horsepower Connections / The EFI Store directly @ 928-706-6112. He is THE ONLY PERSON WITH THE CORRECT PROGRAM.
Without going into a long dissertation as to "why", it was the factory's choice, that led the path in this now NO SUPPORT direction. Craig H.
Sweep

Re: IMPORTANT - FOR LS-3 485 HP OWNERS ONLY

Post by Sweep »

I had my 485 to Brian due to engine issues you described. He, and Gabe, are the best! I have no problems in the last 3000 miles.
Garry
craig haymaker

Post by craig haymaker »

Thank you Garry, for that input ! This reinforces what I have repeatedly said. I too have had the same experience as you, since my visit last September.
And those guys are indeed "The Best" !
Craig H.
3FOR2

More BS

Post by 3FOR2 »

First, Craig, thanks for your posts.
I'm posting this here, because this is the shortest thread going... So...

"The shut down procedure is something Boss Hoss has not covered with owners because I don't think they really knew about the problem before we got involved. The KILL switch must be turned off before the key switch is shut off. This properly shuts down the PCM and bike. When turning on the bike just reverse the procedure. Key on then kill on then start."

"The get-a-round "patch job" is to use the "kill switch" differently!! When "shutting off" the engine = use kill sw. FIRST then the key. When "starting" the engine = use the key FIRST then the kill switch."

I read about the shutting down using the kill switch several years ago, no problem.

But, when starting, if I turn my key on first, then my kill switch, it will start and you can run it from here to kingdom come, but, none of the gauges work, no speedo, no odometer, no nothing. So, from new, I developed the habit of shut down with kill switch, then the key, and then before/as I dismount, I put the kill switch back into the run position, so when I come back, I don't turn the key on before turning the kill switch on.

Chew on that for a bit. Am I the only one with this weird issue? Any ideas from people in the know?
Pat.
2013 Pickup, LS3-445 with Hot Cam
craig haymaker

Post by craig haymaker »

Yes Pat, your described "dead gage" thing when turning "key on" followed by the kill sw. has been an issue for a while now, since the LSx introduction I presume. And this problem occurs upon start-up not shut down, so still shut down as we have discussed here. First off, when you turn the key on, you will hear and see 3- things happen:
1. Hear the master relay energize
2. Hear the water pump circulating coolant
3. See all of your gages do a full sweep reset.
When you follow with "kill switch on", you will now hear the in-tank fuel pump energize.
All that needs to happen to be ECM safe upon start up is, "Key on first".
The following simple procedure will protect your ECM and allow the gages to work normal : The trick is "do not wait" for the gages to complete their full sweep cycle. Simply rock the kill switch to ON "while" the gages are still doing their sweep. There is no required "wait time frame" between key-on and KS-on !
You will be good to go then and this works every time ! Thanks so much Pat for bringing this up, I just last week got a call on from another member, on this very same issue ! Craig H.
3FOR2

Post by 3FOR2 »

Thanks Craig for the response. I'm kinda laughing, kinda crying. And we wonder why people would rather put 40-50 grand into building a nice trike from a 2 wheeler, rather than buy a BH??? Just a crying shame...
Pat.
2013 Pickup, LS3-445 with Hot Cam
Gila123

Post by Gila123 »

Thanks for the info Craig ,,, where do I find Mr. Macey ,,, I think I need him to look at my LS3.

Mike

craig haymaker

Post by craig haymaker »

Hi Mike, Brian's info. is included in my OP at the top of this thread. Craig H.
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

When I read this I get disgusted. How can a manufacturer
let this happen and then not permanently fix it. DID THEY NOT TEST ANYTHING BEFORE SALES. Third party is the only one that can fix it!!! Why would anyone buy one of these.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
BossHossMan

Post by BossHossMan »

Craig,
I too have been having the "dead gauges" problem. I was told to turn on the key and wait for a complete cycling before turning on the kill switch. It does not work most of the time. I tried it the way you outlined it and PRESTO! It works every time. Your the man! Thanks for the proper procedure. You saved me a lot of time and aggravation.
craig haymaker

Post by craig haymaker »

BossHossMan, I am glad that this tip has removed for you, "one of many" aggravations that we live with on these beasts !
OH and Dave, I am with you 100% brother, it is a real shame !
Craig H.