An option to Aldan springs

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

An option to Aldan springs

Post by CanuckHoss »

I waited last summer for a couple months for 450 lb springs for my 502 bike and this year the same thing for 2 customers....ordered April 27th and they said they would be back from chromers in 2 weeks and shipped. Todate still no shocks and now they themselves told me about these shocks from Summit.

http://www.summitracing.com/dom/search/ ... toview=SKU

Bruce in Edmonton is having huge grief with his airshocks and wanted to go back to stock. I had a set of shocks with no springs as the springs were just sold to a customer in BC that was waiting for Aldans springs.

Chrome springs were not available right away from Summit but the black were so Bruce opted for black...I believe it will be a nice contrast...pic below

On a sidenote I asked Aldan last summer if they made a shock a bit longer...1 inch or so like the Hoss ones and they did not. My thoughts were that if they did I would have grabbed them with the stock weight springs so clearance would not be an issue and then the shocks could be set softer for more travel and a smoother ride...any thoughts??
Attachments
photo (7).JPG
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
mdwdvm

Re: An option to Aldan springs

Post by mdwdvm »

CanuckHoss wrote:On a sidenote I asked Aldan last summer if they made a shock a bit longer...1 inch or so like the Hoss ones and they did not. My thoughts were that if they did I would have grabbed them with the stock weight springs so clearance would not be an issue and then the shocks could be set softer for more travel and a smoother ride...any thoughts??
Barry,

Due to the set up of my rear fender and the 330 tire, clearance is a close fit for my SB bike. Accordingly, when I put the air shocks on my bike I also added shock raising blocks from Marv to get more clearance - worked like a charm. The description on his website says "USED ON ALOT OF BIG BLOCKS THAT SIT LOW OR CARRYING PASSENGER ALOT.3/4IN RAISE"

Mike

http://www.choppercity.com/eshopprod...HOCK_BLOCK.htm
Attachments
BOSS%20HOSS%20RAISING%20SHOCK%20BLOCK%203%204%20INCH%20RAISE400.jpg
Mike Wallace - Watertown, MN
Swiss V8

Post by Swiss V8 »

I use the rising blocks from Marv as well on the BB.
They lift the rear, not much, but it helps a lot!
Martin

BHRA President Europe
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Mike,

I get what you are saying but that does not give you more travel..only more clearance...and I beleive more travel at a softer setting is the answer.

With 450 lb springs on my 502 they bottom out set the softest over bigger bumps...I have tried setting one thread up at a time and there is not what I call a "happy" point that I get a decent ride. With the Arnotts I get that "happy" point...albeit not quite happy enough for my back when others might find it quite "cadillacish"

Every rider is different....some of us have good backs..some don't...some of us have good roads and some don't..some of us are lighter weight and some of us are not..so what works for one does not necessarily work for another.
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
mdwdvm

Post by mdwdvm »

You're exactly right - in my case it was clearance only. I could get to the height I needed by pressuring up the air shocks, but then I had such a stiff ride that it wasn't comfortable. In your case with the Aldan shocks it wouldn't help unless the fender was hitting the tire and creating some of your 'bottoming out'.

And I resemble being called one of the 'are nots'.................lighter weight, that is.
:hmmmm: ...........I always wondered how Arnott shocks got their name. ;)
Mike Wallace - Watertown, MN