Gwen and my Canada Day adventure

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Gwen and my Canada Day adventure

Post by CanuckHoss »

We had an awesome day...for a while...went to Canmore which is a resort style town in the mountains that is our favorite...about 80 miles from home.. arrived about 1;30 on the trike and spent the next 4 or 5 hours doing coffees..shopping and then an early dinner. Filled with gas and headed for home

Here is a quote of mine from a day ago regarding the handy little battery kit QUOTE If my battery happens to take a dump somewhere this little package might get me the 20 miles I need to find help rather than being stranded.END QUOTE...this is where the story starts.

When leaving Canmore a block before the highway I ran over something with the front tire that sounded a bit tinny..did not see it as the car in front hid it. Looked back in the mirror to see a piece of tin moving but no biggy.

about 7 or 8 miles down the road I check all the guages as per normal and dang...less than 12 volts...WTF...pull over on the shoulder and take a quick peak and there is no belt on the alternator...dang dang!!! the tin must have dislodged it from the pulleys or broke it and it is gone. It is 50 miles to a fair sized city where I hope to get to and call someone to come with my truck and lift and rescue us.

All fingers and toes crossed as we travel along and I watch the volt meter over the next 40 miles go down and down and then about 1/2 mile before we turn north for the last 10 miles I see the 5" monster tack all over the place...low low volts so I pulled into a rest area...trike still running and I take off the seat and hook up that little battery pack and watch the volts go from a bit over 8 to over 10..I figure I am golden for at least the last 10 miles.

Hit the road and boogy into Cochrane as the tach starts fluttering again so I found the first parking lot..a church one...and pulled in and shut off the trike. Got off and had another look at the alternator but bent down further this time and WTF...there is the alternator belt still on the motor pulley..BONUS!!

I had tools with me and 15 minutes later the belt was on and I was flagging down an F350 for a boost as both batteries were all but stone dead. We let it charge for 10 minutes then fired it up and hit the road again for the last 30 miles home with a big grin as I had actually solved what I thought was going to be a rescue for me and Gwen.

It does not end here but gets better. About 7 or 8 miles down the road is a set of lights and I wait at the lights then when green I accelerate at a decent pace..quite quick but no 4 barrels...it is a 502 and I love the acceleration...

Real soon and all of a sudden there are clunking noises...the motor reving...looking in the mirrors I see smoke...so over I pull with a trail of oil on the road..THIS CANT BE GOOD I thought. Made the call for a pickup first..definitely needed. Then Gwen and I went back looking for the pieces that I saw skipping on the road behind. We maybe went 200 feet after the green light..most of that was coasting as I think 40mph was what I saw before the sheet hit the fan.

As you can see in the pictures..Gwen and I picked up a tranny seal and part of the female yoke?? that fits over the tranny output shaft and goes to the rearend. The end of the tranny housing looks quite damaged as the part that was still on the rearend was turning and gawging it.

Some one did not want Gwen and I to finish that trip for whatever reason. At the end of the day I sit here and Gwen and I are tickled pink. Sure..we have finally hit a week of nice..really nice weather and I am pretty sure the trike is down for this week with parts and then time to fix it but all in all we had an awesome Canada Day and almost got home..lol

Everything happens for a reason and those reasons are not always obvious but we go with the flow.

Any and all advice as to where I start is quite welcome.
Attachments
tranny4.JPG
tranny1.JPG
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
petitemoose

Re: Gwen and my Canada Day adventure

Post by petitemoose »

Replace the yoke and universal joints and the tail shaft and outrer seal on the tranny. About two hours at a slow to moderate pace. About $150 is all it will cost you. Now why the Yoke took a dump on you is the real question...
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

petitemoose wrote:Replace the yoke and universal joints and the tail shaft and outrer seal on the tranny. About two hours at a slow to moderate pace. About $150 is all it will cost you. Now why the Yoke took a dump on you is the real question...
My tranny guru who built this tranny is coming tomorrow..he will know if parts are readily available here...for sure the short yoke / shaft is a Boss Hoss part.

He is quite anxious to see what happened..pretty darn sure myself that this is not a problem that he may have created when he built it...

I am not all that mechanical...I can jack up the trike..remove the wheels etc but really also have to watch my back with all this as a rideable trike is no good if my back isn't as I found out last fall.. it is our busy busy season and getting stuff done even for me is a 'please help me after hours" to my techs...they help as much as possible when they can and I am grateful for that as most of my staff are not just staff..they are friends!!
CanuckHoss

Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

I love your positive attitude Canuck!!

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

My tranny builder was in Thursday and says he may be able to get a better quality yoke...harder and stronger...he may know tomorrow.

Anybody heard of this before?

I am ordering tomorrow from the factory hoping that ALL the parts are available for overnite shipping...
CanuckHoss

Elvis

Post by Elvis »

Tim with the dual 502 trike, slings them out pretty regularly.
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Elvis wrote:Tim with the dual 502 trike, slings them out pretty regularly.
hmmm..I guess that is not surprising...

I was asking about the higher quality yoke that might be available.

I have never opened 4 barrels on this trike but just accelerate really quick from lights. The previous owner was not so gentle I believe and probably caused the stress.
CanuckHoss

SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

Normally the back tires should break loose before the yoke breaks.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

SQ4MN wrote:Normally the back tires should break loose before the yoke breaks.
I have spun the tires for sure in parking lots and leaving lights but mostly just love to get on 'er.

This trike was tested before i got it..explains why the tranny went out once whielt the previous owner had it and was on its way out again when i got it. tranny is 110% now,,unbeleiveable actually so i am thinking that the yoke had already suffered some stress.

My tranny builder was i today and said that he thinks there is a chrome moly yoke available but not soon enough for now so maybe a late fall project.

Parts arrived overnite today..were all there and right...now cross my fingers on geting these guys to get it fixed this week as the BC V8 Rally is next Tuesday
CanuckHoss

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Not good news for getting this '57 on the road....the guys have not had time to fix it yet...down a tech for holidays and the others were really busy playing catch up all week...I was hoping for some after hours work but never happened..even for "DaBoss" lol

This week is our V8 Rally in BC and it was pretty bleak for haing a V8 trike for it. BUT...Friday morning a customer who bought a nice low mileage 2008 FI SB 3 years ago from me phoned and said he had ridden it only twice as he works offshore and was wondering if I would help him sell it. Conversation went on and the price he needed out of it fit good into my plans so I said yes to the purchase and said I would be out in the evening with my truck and a bank draft.

My '57 gave me grief last summer at the rally..I got 3 hours of riding on the first day and then nothing for 5 days due to huge carb issues. This year it decides to go even bigger resistance and is not fixed for the rally. I guess it just does not like BC...

Weird how things figure themselves out if you just let them.

Did a 4 hour ride today to trouble shoot and make sure the trike had no issues before heading to BC tomorrow...all is well with it especially the rear suspension. The shocks are laid down as factory installed but I remember putting on the limiting straps and taking off the rebounding shocks. This trike rides the best of any I have had...even the Willys which I have always bragged about...go figure
Attachments
photo 2 (8).JPG
photo 1 (11).JPG
photo 3 (7).JPG
CanuckHoss

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

'57 Chev trike was fixed last nite....down 4 weeks almost to the day...but overtime for my techs who I think are some of the best anywhere.

Maiden voyage tonite into Calgary and chased back by rain...ALL IS WELL!!!! Long weekend this weekend so get a few miles in the 3 days we are closed.

502s ROCK!!!
CanuckHoss

Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

That's great news!!! I hope the weather is nice all weekend - enjoy the ride and don't forget to stop at a few Starbucks along the way :P

V-MAN

Post by V-MAN »

CanuckHoss wrote:'57 Chev trike was fixed last nite....down 4 weeks almost to the day...but overtime for my techs who I think are some of the best anywhere.

Maiden voyage tonite into Calgary and chased back by rain...ALL IS WELL!!!! Long weekend this weekend so get a few miles in the 3 days we are closed.

502s ROCK!!!

Barry -

Good to see you got the trike fixed and appears better then "new". Are you bringing this trike in Oct? I know a few quiet roads (everything is flat and straight down there) maybe we can line them up :capwin:
IF YOU TELL THE TRUTH YOU DON'T HAVE TO REMEMBER ANYTHING

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Iron Maiden wrote:That's great news!!! I hope the weather is nice all weekend - enjoy the ride and don't forget to stop at a few Starbucks along the way :P
You guys know me too well...passing a coffee shop is a sin to me...lol

Don..October??? where am I supposed to be in October? Bike week??

I have a great plan for the red 2008 32 Coupe I bought last Sunday in Portland...a few weeks riding with Gwen somewhere in the US in the latter part of this year...then ship to Daytona for March Bike week, then ship to Germany for Pullman 2015 and a week or so around germany after or before and hopefully sell it to the German dealer before going home...not a bad plan hey??
CanuckHoss

Swiss V8

Post by Swiss V8 »

CanuckHoss wrote: I have a great plan for the red 2008 32 Coupe I bought last Sunday in Portland...a few weeks riding with Gwen somewhere in the US in the latter part of this year...then ship to Daytona for March Bike week, then ship to Germany for Pullman 2015 and a week or so around germany after or before and hopefully sell it to the German dealer before going home...not a bad plan hey??
That looks like you really will make it next year to the International Boss Hoss Rally in Germany. Great! :germany:
Will you have time to ride in the Alps too? :switzerland:
Martin

BHRA President Europe
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Swiss V8 wrote:
CanuckHoss wrote: I have a great plan for the red 2008 32 Coupe I bought last Sunday in Portland...a few weeks riding with Gwen somewhere in the US in the latter part of this year...then ship to Daytona for March Bike week, then ship to Germany for Pullman 2015 and a week or so around germany after or before and hopefully sell it to the German dealer before going home...not a bad plan hey??
That looks like you really will make it next year to the International Boss Hoss Rally in Germany. Great! :germany:
Will you have time to ride in the Alps too? :switzerland:
I guess it all depends on time...and logistcs...I have the time and it would be a bucket list thing to do more than Germany...would be nice for sure.

I need to get a hold of Uwe and book for his containers from Daytona back to Germany in March...fingers crossed he has room...I sent Uwe an email after Daytona but no response..anybody in contact with him at all??
CanuckHoss

V-MAN

Post by V-MAN »

CanuckHoss wrote:
Iron Maiden wrote:That's great news!!! I hope the weather is nice all weekend - enjoy the ride and don't forget to stop at a few Starbucks along the way :P
You guys know me too well...passing a coffee shop is a sin to me...lol

Don..October??? where am I supposed to be in October? Bike week??

I have a great plan for the red 2008 32 Coupe I bought last Sunday in Portland...a few weeks riding with Gwen somewhere in the US in the latter part of this year...then ship to Daytona for March Bike week, then ship to Germany for Pullman 2015 and a week or so around germany after or before and hopefully sell it to the German dealer before going home...not a bad plan hey??

Barry -

Sounds like you have a VERY GOOD plan ... it all sounds awesome too!!

Daytona ... Biketoberfest ... October ... Of course ...
IF YOU TELL THE TRUTH YOU DON'T HAVE TO REMEMBER ANYTHING

Mark

Post by Mark »

Barry,

I haven't talked to Uwe lately but his logistic company of choice is Knopftours:

Stefan Knopf
Hardtstrasse 78
Heidelberg, Germany 69124
Telephone: (49) 6221 7272308
Mobile: (49) 172 978 6218
Email: knopftours@aol.com
GPS: 49° 22.592N 008°40.478E

http://www.knopftours.com/Web-Site/Welcome.html

In fact I will be using knopftours this October for bringing over my bike to the US.

As far as accomodation at the int. Boss Hoss rallye is concerned, I already made reservations for next year. You may want to speak to Petra Müller at BossHossCycles Germany or contact PullmanCity Harz. Martin may also have some leads.

My suggestion is to book now - you can still cancel later if you must.

Just my 2eurocents

Mark
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Mark wrote:Barry,

I haven't talked to Uwe lately but his logistic company of choice is Knopftours:

Stefan Knopf
Hardtstrasse 78

In fact I will be using knopftours this October for bringing over my bike to the US.

As far as accomodation at the int. Boss Hoss rallye is concerned, I already made reservations for next year. You may want to speak to Petra Müller at BossHossCycles Germany or contact PullmanCity Harz. Martin may also have some leads.

Just my 2eurocents

Mark
Mark...I booked a room a few weeks ago...now for the shipping...thanks for the info...fingers crossed that everything works.

I still want to sell whatever I take over to Germany which as of now looks like a low mileage 2008 FI Red SB 32 Coupe.
CanuckHoss

Mark

Post by Mark »

CanuckHoss wrote:

Stefan Knopf
Hardtstrasse 78

Just my 2eurocents

Mark
Mark...I booked a room a few weeks ago...now for the shipping...thanks for the info...fingers crossed that everything works.

I still want to sell whatever I take over to Germany which as of now looks like a low mileage 2008 FI Red SB 32 Coupe.
Hi Barry,

so you are (almost) all set! Great!

On the topic of selling your vehicle: There are actually not many trikes on the market if you consider selling. I am sure that Andy will help you with it - in particular making the trike street legal for a German buyer. The trike has the Holley TBI Fi - that is actually very good and required over here.

Best regards

Mark
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Mark wrote:
CanuckHoss wrote:

Stefan Knopf
Hardtstrasse 78

Just my 2eurocents

Mark

Hi Barry,

so you are (almost) all set! Great!

On the topic of selling your vehicle: There are actually not many trikes on the market if you consider selling. I am sure that Andy will help you with it - in particular making the trike street legal for a German buyer. The trike has the Holley TBI Fi - that is actually very good and required over here.

Best regards

Mark
Thanks Mark...COOL THAT THE FI WILL HELP...I will send him an email and see if him and I are on the same page price wise...thank you
CanuckHoss