throttle stuck

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
Boom Boom & Rockstar

throttle stuck

Post by Boom Boom & Rockstar »

Rock pulling out behind me and his trottle stuck..almost took me out but then almost took himself out..someome said let DW40 run down it...any suggestions..Boom
Tom

Re: throttle stuck

Post by Tom »

Boom.... A new throttle cable is cheap insurance. I would at least pull the insert out of the cable housing and look at it. Check the throttle grip for wear as well...
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

Boom,
all what Tom said, plus another cheap insurance - a dual return spring. Not only that it is stronger pulling at the throttle plate linkage - it will safe your life in case one spring breaks...at spring break...hahahaha

I bought this one:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G1320/

What happened to Rock would scare the shit out of me. I therefore installed the dual spring even before I did the first ride on my bike.

Olaf
Last edited by KrautV8 on Sat May 01, 2010 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SRF
Tech Advisorator

Post by SRF »

What they all said, but also look at the throttle linkage under the tank and see if there is anything there for it to catch on such as misrouted wires.

Shane
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

SRF wrote:What they all said, but also look at the throttle linkage under the tank and see if there is anything there for it to catch on such as misrouted wires.

Shane
Shane,
That's what happened almost to me. The linkage of the secondarys hung at wide open throttle at the fuel hose (petcock to fuel pump). That was after some carb changes, and I routed the hose too close to the carb. I tested if the secondarys opens all the way and found out they did - but they didn't close....huuuh...fortunatly I found that out with the bike on jackstands and the engine off. Could have killed me if I were riding. Good idea to test everything precisely after some changes.

Another problem I saw were secondarys which stuck wide open at a customer's bike in Andy's shop. We found out that the guy installed some of these very thin rubber base gaskets which are supplied sometimes in cheap kits instead of the thicker 1/4" base gaskets. That thin gasket caused the carb to get closer to the manifold and the secondarys got caught by the aluminum rear edge of the manifold opening.

Olaf
sb2bb

Post by sb2bb »

I remember a while back Adrian or some one said do not use WD 40 to lube your cable, but for the life of me I can't remember the name of the right shit to use, Somebody here will know. Steve
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Best stuff I ever found, is called " Dri Slide". Wild stuff
and it works.

Purchased it at a Harley Dealer years ago.
The label says "Guardsman Products -Fremont Mich"