Any luck at all Paul??????
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
knockdolian

Re: Trike suspension

Post by knockdolian »

Sorry Barry, I was working most of the weekend and my wife was away. I did get chance to take it around the block. I'm in the country so bumpy old tracks. Much softer for me but it's all about the wife's comfort. There is more head shake but I think that is only to be expected because of body roll. That will get sorted with the raked trees and damper planned. I think I'm going in the right direction. Now I know the spring rating I can try softer ones. Hopefully I can get the wife out on the back in the week
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

knockdolian wrote:Sorry Barry, I was working most of the weekend and my wife was away. I did get chance to take it around the block. I'm in the country so bumpy old tracks. Much softer for me but it's all about the wife's comfort. There is more head shake but I think that is only to be expected because of body roll. That will get sorted with the raked trees and damper planned. I think I'm going in the right direction. Now I know the spring rating I can try softer ones. Hopefully I can get the wife out on the back in the week
I would not spend the $$ on softer springs until you have them set at one thread...if they are the same as mine then there is no way that you will have to change them out for softer...

Can you press on the body and get the springs to compress / the body to go down a bit? If you can then that setting is more than likely good for you alone and then one thread up for the two of you...
CanuckHoss

knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

Result !!! The shocks in the upright position makes a hell of a difference. We have a horrible lane where we live about 2 miles long with plenty of humps, bumps and pot holes and my wife was happy. I'll play about with the adjustments to fine tune and fit the straps. They will bolt to the original lower damper mount and a tab on the back of the sub frame with a hole in it. Seems to be redundant.
Thanks
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

knockdolian wrote:Result !!! The shocks in the upright position makes a hell of a difference. We have a horrible lane where we live about 2 miles long with plenty of humps, bumps and pot holes and my wife was happy. I'll play about with the adjustments to fine tune and fit the straps. They will bolt to the original lower damper mount and a tab on the back of the sub frame with a hole in it. Seems to be redundant.
Thanks
AWESOME...great news.

The straps were designed for the upright position with the shocks in the "stock" played down position...not sure if there is enough travel in the shocks upwards for the limiting straps to do their job....having said that I have a 2006 Green Willys trike set up exactly that way from the two years I owned it and the 2 years my customer has owned with no issues...

Now you can fine tune and truly enjoy the way these machines are supposed to ride...
CanuckHoss

Ron Radulski

Post by Ron Radulski »

Barry, Andy from BH told me a few years ago that the straps go right along side the coil over shocks in the upright position. I did this and it works great. 5 or 6 threads showing, great ride! I'm thinking of going down to maybe 4 threads showing.
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Triker wrote:Barry, Andy from BH told me a few years ago that the straps go right along side the coil over shocks in the upright position. I did this and it works great. 5 or 6 threads showing, great ride! I'm thinking of going down to maybe 4 threads showing.
OK...that is not how I have seen them here but that makes sense too that it would work well..
CanuckHoss

knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

just at the rear of the sub frame where the top rail does a complete U turn there is a tab either side facing down with maybe a 1/2" hole. Ideal mount for the strap ?? I'll add a photo later. I still can't get my head around what the straps do ( sorry Barry it's me not you)!!
If they are to stop the body rising which I'm not disputing because I don't know and want to, why when watching drag racing the fronts go up and a wheely bar is needed. As I said I'm not disputing I'm learning. Can't fix it if I don't understand it.
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

knockdolian wrote:just at the rear of the sub frame where the top rail does a complete U turn there is a tab either side facing down with maybe a 1/2" hole. Ideal mount for the strap ?? I'll add a photo later. I still can't get my head around what the straps do ( sorry Barry it's me not you)!!
If they are to stop the body rising which I'm not disputing because I don't know and want to, why when watching drag racing the fronts go up and a wheely bar is needed. As I said I'm not disputing I'm learning. Can't fix it if I don't understand it.
The straps don't stop the body from rising...it still rises on hard acceleration....the limiting straps stop it from rising TOO MUCH....they "limit" the travel upwards of the body...so that job is not put on the riding shocks...
CanuckHoss

Ron Radulski

Post by Ron Radulski »

Barry, well put EXACTLY! When in the UPRIGHT position. I have a hard time seeing the need for limiting straps keeping the coil over shocks in the lay back (stock) position just because the chrome "re-bound" anti-pogo, if you will, shocks were eliminated.
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

image.jpeg
Thanks Barry and others. Having had a read I think I understand. The straps prevent the shocks from topping out so just need to be a bit shorter than the maximum extension. As they are now they are on the softest setting I can get. Wind them down any more and I'm just lowering the back. Wife is happy for now. We have a 200 mile round trip on Wednesday for a charity event. Giving kids with terminal illnesses trike rides, so the softer the better. Straps are on order. Thanks again
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

knockdolian wrote:
image.jpeg
Thanks Barry and others. Having had a read I think I understand. The straps prevent the shocks from topping out so just need to be a bit shorter than the maximum extension. As they are now they are on the softest setting I can get. Wind them down any more and I'm just lowering the back. Wife is happy for now. We have a 200 mile round trip on Wednesday for a charity event. Giving kids with terminal illnesses trike rides, so the softer the better. Straps are on order. Thanks again
Justa question. How do you figure they are on the "softest setting"??? I see more threads in the picture to soften it more. Thanks
CanuckHoss

knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

Justa question. How do you figure they are on the "softest setting"??? I see more threads in the picture to soften it more. Thanks[/quote]
Let's say you take the shock off and wind the adjuster al the way down. The spring would be slack. Now wind it up just so there is no slack but no pre load. The shock is now on its softest setting. Fit the shock. The only pre load is then the weight of the trike body. If you now wind the adjuster down the preload doesn't change but the ride higher will. That's how I see it anyway. I could be wrong ?
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

knockdolian wrote:Justa question. How do you figure they are on the "softest setting"??? I see more threads in the picture to soften it more. Thanks
Let's say you take the shock off and wind the adjuster al the way down. The spring would be slack. Now wind it up just so there is no slack but no pre load. The shock is now on its softest setting. Fit the shock. The only pre load is then the weight of the trike body. If you now wind the adjuster down the preload doesn't change but the ride higher will. That's how I see it anyway. I could be wrong ?[/quote]

I guess that could be right. I have never done that. I know the amount of threads that gives the right ride and when we installed new shocks in replacement of the air shocks a few years back we just pre set the shocks to that thread count...never did what you are saying.

I am wondering if maybe the spring on yours is shorter than stock...or the spring is a heavier weight than stock or that is not close to a Boss Hoss stock shock in spec like what I am I am using.??? and we are trying to compare apples to oranges.

With the ride set now for me on my 57 I can put one knee on the step board / passenger board....one leg still on the ground and put pressure on the board with my body and I can make the suspension collapse and the body go up and down a bit. if I stand with both feet on the steps and bounce up and down the trike body will bounce somewhat with me...it is not solid and stiff....once Gwen starts riding I am assuming I need to tighten one thread. Put your wife on the back seat and then try what I am saying. If you can't make the body move then it is still too stiff for whatever reason.

I sure wish we were closer....
CanuckHoss

knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

Absolutely fantastic day today200 miles round trip to take disabled and terminally ill children for trike rides around a field. Very bumpy. No problems at all. My wife enjoyed the ride there and back. To be honest it couldn't be better. The kids loved it and I couldn't go fast enough for sum. A very humbling day.
Attachments
image.jpeg
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

knockdolian wrote:Absolutely fantastic day today200 miles round trip to take disabled and terminally ill children for trike rides around a field. Very bumpy. No problems at all. My wife enjoyed the ride there and back. To be honest it couldn't be better. The kids loved it and I couldn't go fast enough for sum. A very humbling day.
FANTASTIC NEWS PAUL!!!!! Congrats on seeing it through...

PS..have you tried a lower tire pressure yet..as in 15 to 17 lbs just for shits and giggles as we say here...lol
CanuckHoss

knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

We say shits and giggles here too. Small world. I've been running 20 psi as you or someone recommended and 40 psi up front I'll drop the backs to 15 and give it a go. As it's still on the same subject, suspension does anybody run leading link forks ?
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Paul,

I own a 2007 SB Sierra trike for resale. We set the shocks a few weeks ago to the setting on my 57 so the ride would be good when I took it out for a bit as it has been sitting 8 months.

The ride sucked at the same setting as my 57. I came back to the shop and adjusted the shocks 3 threads softer and figured I should be good. It was NOT better...not even a wee bit..WTF is happening I thought

So I looked and the trike had the rebound shocks and not limiting straps. I disconnected the dampers on the bottom bolt and now I could put one knee on a step and compress the suspension easily...same as the 57

The Fucking dampner shocks totally fuck up the ride...totally!!I can't believe anyone would ride a Boss Hoss trike with those dampner shocks installed.

We took off the tires tonite and removed the dampners and because I have no limiting strap kit here I decided to do what another dealer has done before and just replace them with chain the same length but cover the chain with an inner tube. I bought the chain and will do that tomorrow.

Will post a few pics if I remember to take them.
CanuckHoss

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Got it done. Rides smooooth!!! A few pics below
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpg
CanuckHoss

knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

It's good to know it wasn't just me. I'd say the same to you. For shits and giggles move the top mount of the shock to the damper mount and wind the spring down to 9 threads showing then you will have my settings. The straighter the compression angle of the spring the better it will work. I can't believe no one else has has suspension issues given the number of trikes there are unless as you say BH sorted it. Should edit the post title to THE BARRY AND PAUL SUSPENSION SHOW !!
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

knockdolian wrote:It's good to know it wasn't just me. I'd say the same to you. For shits and giggles move the top mount of the shock to the damper mount and wind the spring down to 9 threads showing then you will have my settings. The straighter the compression angle of the spring the better it will work. I can't believe no one else has has suspension issues given the number of trikes there are unless as you say BH sorted it. Should edit the post title to THE BARRY AND PAUL SUSPENSION SHOW !!
Haha. Good one Paul. I can bet that a lot just and put up with the shitty ride. I met more than one in Daytona.
CanuckHoss