HOW LONG

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
SQ4MN

HOW LONG

Post by SQ4MN »

I notice a lot of guys on here that sell their bike, some even more than one, yet return a year or two later with another. I also notice that some have had the same bike since I first came around about 8 years ago. RANDY, SONY, JACK, LAFONG and some others for instance. Just an observation. Another thing I notice is very few of these bikes get many miles on them. ALDO has over 100,000 miles so these bikes are capable yet they seem to be parked more than most. How about TRIKES does anybody have a high mileage trike? I only have 31000 miles on my Boss Hoss which aint nothing in 8 years.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
rocketsteve

Re: HOW LONG

Post by rocketsteve »

Maybe the mileage is more to do with the age profile of BH owners Dave?
I don't imagine the "youngsters" can afford these bikes so that alone increases owner age.
Might be alone here but I don't ride as much as 10, 20, 30 and 40+ years ago as the itch to ride has faded with time and I pick my moments to be more in tune with the weather these days ~ getting up off the floor while cleaning is harder now than getting down there! :D
To test a man's character, give him (Hoss) power.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I have 2 young kids who can't ride with me, I live in Buffalo, and life gets in the way.
I ride a '98 Wild One that my dad built and it has 7k on it.
When he built it he had a '98 Boss, I think it had something like 10k on it when we sold it. When it went back up on the market it had 11k on it.

I don't know anyone else's reason, I'd ride all the time if I could.
1998 Wild One Custom - Homebuilt
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

You may remember my first Boss (a 2005) caught fire and burned to the ground 6 years or so ago. I think it had about 23K miles on it at the time. Then I got my present '09 new from Tom at MBH and it now has 29K miles. I too am not riding as much as I was years ago and most of my rides are just close by now to the local events but would still like to ride out to the MBH Open House/Thunder in the Valley event in June, weather permitting, as that is always a good time. That's about a 900 total mile weekend of nice western PA riding.
2009 350/385 MBH bike
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

I AM LUCKY, I'm in a club with about 12 guys and we have a ride at least once a month. The club is in LA ares and I live in Vegas but I pretty much make every ride. I share the BH with other bikes but at least I get to ride it. There are two other guys in the club with Boss Hoss bikes which is amazing in such a small club. It really helps to keep my old ass actively riding to be in this club. My wife and I also ride together and that is just a little more help in riding because its something we both like. I'll be 75 in a month and I think the bikes are what keep me young at least at heart. They are always fun to ride, I never had a bad day when I was riding. The good thing about a V8 bike is they never get old or wear out. The other manufacturers add a few more cubic inches to a new model and hype the hell out of it, I have an old SMALL BLOCK in both my V8 bikes and its far from obsolete.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
Bryan Ward

Post by Bryan Ward »

Most of you guys who know me also know that I ride a lot, pretty much whenever I can weather permitting. I'm still riding my one and only 2004 small block Boss Hoss that I bought new back then. Today the bike has about 319,000 KM on it which is about 198,500 miles, so knocking on the 200 door.
And yes I've had my share of issues with it, some transmission problems that have been addressed, some other issues not so serious and some issues caused by stupidity and trial and error on my part. The bike is solid as a rock and I wouldn't hesitate to take it across the country and back tomorrow.
In the TECH section, I just posted most of the important maintenance and repairs that have been done to the bike since day one, including all the tires :mrgreen: , some of which have had a short life.
Anyway, the bike has been a lot of fun, still continues to be fun and has provided countless smiles per miles and will continue until I cant ride anymore. There's no point selling it or trading it because I wouldn't get anything for it and if I got a new one I'd have to start all over again. No thanks, I just want to ride......

Bryan Ward
Puff

Post by Puff »

I've had my '01 since new.
Bought it from the factory.
I only have about 81,000 miles on it.
I ride whenever I can, but school
teaching always gets in the way. :doh:
I plan to keep and enjoy it.
If my knees/legs ever decide to give out,
I will then look into a trike.
Bill Van Sant

Imzz4

Post by Imzz4 »

Dave, I just checked the high mileage on my 2001 trike in the garage. I'll be selling it now and looking to build a newer one. I racked up 381 mi. Seems like only yesterday when I drove it around the back of the house with no brakes and no steering....
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

UNLESS, something magic happens I will probably never get another V8 bike. I got married on my V8 Chopper and its fast enough for me and always looks bad ass in my eyes. I have all the parts brand new to rebuild the old Nesco if it ever takes a shit for the Boss Hoss. The Boss now shares the long rides with the Triumph Rocket 3 Touring model that I have, The Boss is still a great bike for the long trips, its paid for and the only thing better would be an LS motor powered V8 bike so it looks like me and the BH will remain hooked at the hip. In any case those of us with V8 bikes are a piece of living history and we are having fun.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
The Mindless Philosopher

Post by The Mindless Philosopher »

I'm no spring chicken but then neither is my '57 Chevy trike. The Hoss turned 16 years old in February. I'm owner #8, spanning 6 states, so it has had quite a life, high miles or not. Approaching only 33,000 miles on the odometer (I put on 10,000 of those since bringing it home in mid December '14). Considering how often I've had to wrench on it, it was a challenge even putting on that many.

I'm not sure whether it is more a labor of love, or Rocky's Russian opponent looking down at me and saying, "I will break you," causing me to fight back? Stange love-hate relationship I have with this big beast.

If I'd had my way, there'd be at least 70,000 miles on it by now, if not more. I can't help but wonder whether that dial has rolled over once, or if it had gone for a long period without a speedometer cable? Impossible to say.

Anyhow...

Long story short, the only thing keeping my miles low is the frequent repairs. I'm hoping that will level off soon. Until then, I just replaced a master brake cylinder, and now I have a burned out third brake light/license plate frame to contend with. Always something. At least I have functional tail/brake lights in the '57 fins, so that's not a show stopper.

Dreaming of putting quality miles behind me...
willie wilson

Post by willie wilson »

2007 bb bike 141836 mi ride'em, don't hide 'em
Bryan Ward

Post by Bryan Ward »

Well, I finally made the 200,000 mile mark last week, which works out to 321,870 KM. Still running well...

Bryan

:badtothebone:

Bryan Ward
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

Bryan Ward wrote:Well, I finally made the 200,000 mile mark last week, which works out to 321,870 KM. Still running well...

Bryan

:badtothebone:
Bryan, what major things have you replaced? Is yours a SB or BB and is it modified. Dave

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
wag

Post by wag »

Not many will beat Brian's mark, just shows what enjoyment, means and dedication will produce.
Still ride the hell out mine but not as often, my Heritage gets the brunt of usage but that's all I need these days to keep up with the wife on hers. :badtothebone:
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

Got my 05 sb from Curtis in November of 2012 with 21,000 on it. Got hit in July of 2014 and there was 28,000 on the clock. Replaced all of the Gauges (Speedo Included ) which now shows 4500. Round numbers I only put about 2500 miles a year on it. Its not the only bike in the garage but it is certainly the best bike in the garage. I run hot and cold riding it. Some days it is just more than I care to handle for one reason or another so I jump on one of the Hardly's. As Jr gets older and cares about my presence less and less I am sure than my saddle time will increase.
I have entertained thoughts of selling it but no matter what I sell it for, I could never replace it for what I would get ... so why?
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

Got mine (SB) in 2013 and ridden 10,000m in 3 active years. I like to ride all year, on dry roads by choice.

Regular riding is in the UK but last year rode to Pullman City. Great fun and my first serious wet ride - 6 hours of torrential rain on the return journey (interstate type roads) - put me off Belgium for a while their road surfaces are poor!

This will probably be my last bike, there is no other in the stable, sale will be for medical reasons only, probably the ole back. I don't think I could go back to those lightweight Harley things I used to ride :lol:
Gordon from England
Bryan Ward

Post by Bryan Ward »

Dave,

just click on this link in the TECH section and it will tell you virtually everything I've done to the bike since day one:

http://www.v8bikers.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3529

Just post a note if you have any questions.

Bryan

Bryan Ward
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

Bryan, I remember reading that some years ago, interesting log. Its good to see you are still here and enjoying your bike. I'm truly amazed at your mileage, most likely the record for any V8 motorcycle.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
SRF
Tech Advisorator

Post by SRF »

SQ4MN wrote:Bryan, I remember reading that some years ago, interesting log. Its good to see you are still here and enjoying your bike. I'm truly amazed at your mileage, most likely the record for any V8 motorcycle.
20160916_110630.jpg
20160916_110623.jpg
Not the V8 record the Wild Turkey bike had 284,542 last September at the Boss Hoss National Ralley. Glenn Boglish (doubt I spelled the name correctly) was getting close to 200,000 on his small block but not sure he got there yet due to buying a 502 and putting miles on it. Bryan is definitely in the top numbers and may be the newest bike with 200,000 on it. Seems there were a few others in the 100-150 range years ago but I don't remember who.
Bryan Ward

Post by Bryan Ward »

Yes you are correct Shane on all of the above. I was chatting with Glen Boglish at Daytona Bike week and he has about 135,000 on his small block..

I like keeping the records like that so I can keep track of the maintenance and also longevity of parts, like fuel pumps, etc. Some are better than others....The Holley pumps were a nightmare for me. Went back to the Carter and no problems, etc.

Bryan

Bryan Ward
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

It fascinates me that the same part is the Holy Grail to some and the Devil itself to others. Two examples are the
Holley Red and the Quadrajet.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada