POLL for all big block owners!

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
BeefcakeBiker

POLL for all big block owners!

Post by BeefcakeBiker »

What IN YOUR OPINION makes the big block superior vs. ZZ4 and LS3? Why there's no replacement for displacement, even if you could pull out the same amount of horses out of LS3 too? Is it the sound, the bigger size, more intimidating look...? Please share your opinion and point of view!

I'm kinda late with this poll as I already made my choice and bought a 502 big block, but I'm still curious to hear others' opinions.

For me personally it is all of the above, but most importantly the knowledge that I can't really go bigger than that. I know, I know, there are also 572's and whatnot, but I guess you know what I mean. Since I started riding motorcycles I always wanted more and more horsepower and torque and came to realize that Harleys just won't be enough for me as I can't tune them endlessly without having troubles with the legislation in Finland. And if I would've upgraded to ZZ4 I soon would've wanted to upgrade again to something bigger. The best for me is to go as big as I can with my limited budget, so at least I don't need to change my bike anymore because of its size and power. If I hit the lottery jackpot someday, then I will surely buy more all kinds of monster machines each one bigger and meaner than the others, but for now I'm trying to tell myself I've reached the top of the hill and now it's time to just enjoy it riding the hell out of that machine!
- Coca-Cola cowboy -
2009 Boss Hoss LS3 Super Sport
:burnout:
Orlando606VetteTrike

Re: POLL for all big block owners!

Post by Orlando606VetteTrike »

I'm a 2000 Big Block bike owner. It really was all about the look and sound. Their not that fast due to weight, but the sound and feel make me love being on her whether I'm idling along at 20 or doing a 50 mpg burnout. :)
2008 606 Corvette Trike
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

502s are fast "IF" you can get them to hookup,,,not as fast as an LS3 for sure but the 502 looses traction so easily with the torque.

502 bikes are my favorite. They ride better down the road due to weight. They hold the road way better than an LS3 in the wind and for where I live there is lots of wind and the 502 rocks. The extra length gives the extra stability in all situations also.

The downsides are gas mileage and heat in stop and go traffic.

It all comes down to personal preference and mine is the 502 even though an LS or high HP small block can sound similar or even more knarly.
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
Wild Bill

Post by Wild Bill »

In my humble opinion:

- The big block is not superior to the zz4, 383 or LS3.... for some people. For some (many), those bikes/engines are the bees knees - and they would be 100% correct - for their particular wants/needs.

- For Bill Taylor, the big block is a superior choice due to... idle, handling, torque, look, sound, tire-frying ability, wow factor, etc. Again, it suits MY needs. Perfectly!

Heat is not an issue - at all. Just install a manual fan switch so that sucker isn't blowing heat on you and making noise unless absolutely necessary.

On paper, the LS3 is a better choice. Doesn't matter... not interested!

WB
"A true hotrodder wouldn't be content until he had created a vehicle so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo
Puff

Post by Puff »

buh - CHUG - guh

buh - CHUG - guh

buh - CHUG - guh

( repeat as necessary )

:badtothebone:
Bill Van Sant

SQ4MN

Its all about bragging rights.

Post by SQ4MN »

To me it seems its just about bragging rights. Not really faster and does not improve handling as its heavier but guys just love 502's. To me the LS is a better choice but it does sound wimpy next to a 502. The LS goes faster, handles better, and is smoother. The 427 in the V8 Choppers is really an animal with 575 HP stock. My bikes are little 350 Chevy ZZ4 crate motors. Quick and reliable but no braging rights unless I'm talking with a Harley guy. I rode my Chopper at 152 mph so its no slug.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
wag

Post by wag »

My vote is that I would always take a built small block over a big block. Love those RPM's :D
Paul H

Post by Paul H »

Wag, my good buddy and chief mechanic Frank is squarely
in your way of thinking. I think the biggest engine he
ever worked on personally was a 383 Dodge back in
the mid 60's. He used to beat 426 wedge engines.
Mostly because he set up the suspension, RIGHT.
I've never owned or ridden BB BH. BUT now I want
one in a trike. I love the sound, size and presents
of knowing you're riding 502 CI BB.

Paul H

PS I think I'd love the torque!!!
wag

Post by wag »

Thats all true! Especially the idle but small blocks and Ls motors have their nasty also. Thats why they make all 3 to
suit more peoples fancy.
Oldun

Post by Oldun »

wag wrote:Thats all true! Especially the idle but small blocks and Ls motors have their nasty also. Thats why they make all 3 to suit more peoples fancy.
Yep, this. I love the idle and the sound of the BB. I like the smaller footprint and the 'agility' (ha, it's all relative) of the SB. Given the need to downsize to just 1; I'd choose the BB. I don't ride either engine to its capacity anyway

Any V8 engine in a motorcycle is :ten:
My 100-proof woman
A bottle of 95-proof whiskey
A tank of 90-proof gas
And 502ci of V8 bike
:ridding:
V8Norm

Post by V8Norm »

Love to sound. And your right.... Bragging rights

My old SB 427 had a nice tone also
Norm
hossv8

Post by hossv8 »

The 502 is like a battleship vs a 57 ft fast yacht...It has presence. You just show up, dont have to do shit. Just because its outrageous. I rode with Tom Chadwell a bit and rode his bike. He just rolled up to the stop light and grinned at people. He loved blowing by me on freeway on ramps and his burnouts at Miami Oklahoma were legendary. I havent seen Norm this happy with a bike in the last 6 V8s he has owned :)
Swiss V8

Post by Swiss V8 »

I would not give away my BB

nor my SB

They both are outstanding bikes!

As said before the BB just ist the master wherever you show up, unless you happen to stop next to a 606...
I just love the sound and the rythm.
The downside is the gasmilage, but you'll forget about as soon as you are on the road :mrgreen:
Last edited by Swiss V8 on Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Martin

BHRA President Europe
Gila123

Post by Gila123 »

I own both ,,, LS3 is a SS ,,, I much prefer the sound of the BB ,,, the LS3 is much easy to ride and corners better ,,, LS3 over all is much faster and pulls on your arms hard ,,, where my 502 just burns the tire and you can actually do a full burn with just your throttle hand on ,,, have to say I love them both ,,, its all good.

Jack

Post by Jack »

Has anyone run an LS bike on the track?
1998 Wild One Custom - Homebuilt
Greg S

Post by Greg S »

Have a BB and a ZZ4 SB. Both are lots of fun! Both seem to draw the same amount of attention from wufos, in that, for the most part, the people who are coming over to take pictures, really don't seem to care what size the engine is. All that matters, is that it has a V8. As for sound, the BB cannot be beaten for shear sound pressure levels. However, the SB revs and sounds more like the V8 cars that I grew up with. If I want to sound like a cigarette boat coming down the road, I ride the BB. If I just want to take a quick cruise in a very light hearted way, I jump on the SB. I really cannot say that I have a favorite. I can only say that they each excel in their own ways.