ANOTHER BIKE

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
SQ4MN

ANOTHER BIKE

Post by SQ4MN »

Some of you older guys might remember these. Its a 1970 Triumph TR6 TIGER 650. These bikes unlike the earlier Triumphs were a unit construction meaning the engine and trans shared the same case. In 1970 they were still 4 speed transmissions but that changed in 1972 to a 5 speed transmission. LaFong and I were at the Vegas bike auction for three days last month and the kid came out in me again and I purchased this one. It is getting a five speed transmission put in the stock case along with a rebuild to freshen it up. I'll also have the main case bead blasted and the primary case, timing cover, and transmission cover polished. I had many Triumphs before I had Harleys while growing up and have always loved them. They only had 40 cubic inches motors and about 42 hp yet could squeeze out 100 miles per hour even in 1959. They weigh about 380 pounds so are lots of fun on twisty roads. Nothing to do with V8 bikes but most of you guys like all motorcycles so I thought I'd post this.
Attachments
tiger apart 1.JPG
tiger apart 3.JPG
TIGER 4.JPG
TIGER 1 copy.jpg
TIGER 2 copy.jpg

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Re: ANOTHER BIKE

Post by Carl La Fong »

I knew your OCD would kick in right away. A nice, clean, original Triumph. The average guy would go over it, check for anything needing some attention. Check the oil, clean out the tank and gas it up. Make sure the tires are good and the air pressure is at spec. Stick in a battery, give it a few kicks to loosen it up and then, switch on and kick like you mean it. Ride it around with a big ol' grin. As always, you have to take it to the next level. I wish I had some of that disease, myself. It's gonna be a nice bike when you're done with it
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

John the bike started and ran ok but I'm never satisfied. There was 5 pounds difference in compression between the cylinders. The crank had a little up and down play in it. The cases have never been apart so its a low mileage original motor with a cosmetic restoration. I want it to gleam and to have a 5 speed so apart it comes. It already has restored wheels, a new exhaust, new wire loom, and new paint but the clutch sticks probably from sitting, and the tank and carb need cleaning and a few other little things can be improved. It will be really nice when finished and should be fun to ride on the Hanson Dam Ride. I bought a brand new 5 speed gear cluster yesterday for it so I'm committed now.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

That is one cool scoot! A lot of people would look at it and think its an old POS. No Cruise, no Fuel Injection, no loud pipes or fairings. Glad you are bringing it back to life with style :thumbsup: :capwin:

Question ... How do you measure the torque to attach the jugs to the case? Looks like nothing but a 12pt box end wrench will fit on those nuts.
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

petitemoose wrote:That is one cool scoot! A lot of people would look at it and think its an old POS. No Cruise, no Fuel Injection, no loud pipes or fairings. Glad you are bringing it back to life with style :thumbsup: :capwin:

Question ... How do you measure the torque to attach the jugs to the case? Looks like nothing but a 12pt box end wrench will fit on those nuts.
Inch pound torque wrenches and sockets work. In 1970 the Triumphs nuts and bolts were all SAE or USS, no metric. This was the last year of BASIC motorcycles. The following year had turn signals. These bikes still had kick starters. This bike was considered modern as it had a 12 volt battery. Old bikes are lots of fun with drum brakes crude carburetors and kick to start motors. Ignitions were still coil and points and they sounded good as there wasn't many rules and regulations until right about then.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
Ron Radulski

Post by Ron Radulski »

Nice looking old Triumph. My O.C.D. is now kicking in. In all due respect: Motorcycles manufactured after January 1, 1973 SHALL have turn signals. Good luck with the 5 speed conversion and engine rebuild project.
Imzz4

Post by Imzz4 »

Dave, that is really clean and in such good condition !! No wonder you had to get it. I worked at Bucks County Triumph in Bristol Pa. in 1970 for a guy named Smitty. Bill Smith was also into drag racing ,and his top fuel drag bike did a 10.0 140mph on fuel. I think the tire was 4" wide. I worked on lots of Triumphs there in his shop with him. I too bought a few 650s. The big thing back then was putting a Sonny Route 750 or 800 cc big bore kit on them. the only giveaway was the 1/4-20 socket head bolt between the cylinders. I regret only having one small Polaroid picture of my bike. I welded a hardtail onto the frame, raked the neck a little for 6 in tubes, drag bars , and a Sportster tank. Had the cases bored for the 800 jugs, norris cams, 2 Mikuni's and a Joe Hunt magneto. I put a small Sebring battery eliminator on it . I laced a 16" rim to it and had the drag pipes black chromed... so many fun memories with it... and man did it vibrate. I bet i still have some British standard wrenches and the tool you screw into the case to find TDC !
Back in those days , a good running Triumph, Norton, or a Royal Enfield was quite a fast machine.
There was also a twin engine BSA triple in the shop that was a friend of the owner. I remember looking at it and thinking the guy was fucking nuts driving a motorcycle with 6 pistons. I would never do that in a hundred years.
Enjoy your new ride .
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

Triker wrote:Nice looking old Triumph. My O.C.D. is now kicking in. In all due respect: Motorcycles manufactured after January 1, 1973 SHALL have turn signals. Good luck with the 5 speed conversion and engine rebuild project.
My memory leave a lot to be desired. I thought the turn signals came out stock on the 71 Triumphs. I always used hand signals back in the fifties and sixties but if I use them today people think that my arm must have went to sleep or I'm pointing at something. We have a 1938 Buick that we drive and it also has no turn signals so I use hand signals, I might as well use Morse Code for all the good it does me.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

Imzz4 wrote:Dave, that is really clean and in such good condition !! No wonder you had to get it. I worked at Bucks County Triumph in Bristol Pa. in 1970 for a guy named Smitty. Bill Smith was also into drag racing ,and his top fuel drag bike did a 10.0 140mph on fuel. I think the tire was 4" wide. I worked on lots of Triumphs there in his shop with him. I too bought a few 650s. The big thing back then was putting a Sonny Route 750 or 800 cc big bore kit on them. the only giveaway was the 1/4-20 socket head bolt between the cylinders. I regret only having one small Polaroid picture of my bike. I welded a hardtail onto the frame, raked the neck a little for 6 in tubes, drag bars , and a Sportster tank. Had the cases bored for the 800 jugs, norris cams, 2 Mikuni's and a Joe Hunt magneto. I put a small Sebring battery eliminator on it . I laced a 16" rim to it and had the drag pipes black chromed... so many fun memories with it... and man did it vibrate. I bet i still have some British standard wrenches and the tool you screw into the case to find TDC !
Back in those days , a good running Triumph, Norton, or a Royal Enfield was quite a fast machine.
There was also a twin engine BSA triple in the shop that was a friend of the owner. I remember looking at it and thinking the guy was fucking nuts driving a motorcycle with 6 pistons. I would never do that in a hundred years.
Enjoy your new ride .
Many of the early choppers were Triumphs and some were really cool. In the early sixties Triumphs could beat Harleys in a light to light race where most all racing was done anyway. Many custom Triumphs had hardtail frames and a popular modification was to lace up a 16 inch Harley wheel to a Triumph Sprung Hub and run it on the back of a hardtail Triumph. I had many Choppers in my life and maybe thats why I have such a connection to my V8 Chopper, to me its the King of Choppers. I love all bikes, never rode one that didn't make me happy. EVEN MOTORBIKES AND MOTOR SCOOTERS PUT A SMILE ON MY FACE. I would push a bike or scooter for 1000 feet trying to start if it would just run for 100 feet with me on it. I called Haggertys today for 10000 dollar comprehensive insurance with no deductible and the price was 67 dollars a year for the classic old Triumph.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
rocketsteve

Post by rocketsteve »

Are you able to find bike parts in the States?

If not, we should be able to help you source bits over here... :thumbup:
To test a man's character, give him (Hoss) power.
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Back in the day I flat tracked , TT Scrambled , sportsman hill climbed and rode Enduro's all with BSA's . I started out with a BSA Goldstar 500 cc theN a 1967 BSA 650Hornet Scrambler and enduroed with a 441 BSA Victor . Most of my racing days were early 60,s - early 70's . Triumph were my biggest competition but mostly Triumph TT Scramblers .
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

RocketSteve wrote:Are you able to find bike parts in the States?

If not, we should be able to help you source bits over here... :thumbup:
Thanks for the offer Steve I do appreciate it. We actually have no problem over here with parts, there is a large following of enthusiasts into the classic bike world. I have actually been involved with classic British bikes since about 1978 and have built up some nice collections and then sold them and then did it again and then sold them and here I am again. This time I don't plan on getting any more, to many bikes once again as it is.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

hogv8 wrote:Back in the day I flat tracked , TT Scrambled , sportsman hill climbed and rode Enduro's all with BSA's . I started out with a BSA Goldstar 500 cc theN a 1967 BSA 650Hornet Scrambler and enduroed with a 441 BSA Victor . Most of my racing days were early 60,s - early 70's . Triumph were my biggest competition but mostly Triumph TT Scramblers .
Jack, motorcycles are in your blood.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
rocketsteve

Post by rocketsteve »

Okay Dave, I know what you mean about too many bikes - this is where a hobby becomes a disease :D

I'll need to sell my Rocket 3 and maybe the Triumph Trophy SE if I'm going to get my BH into the workshop :roll:

EDIT: Or I could move to the States and get a bigger Garage. 8-)
Hoss97

Post by Hoss97 »

Great looking bike, I've always liked the old triumphs
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

RocketSteve wrote:Okay Dave, I know what you mean about too many bikes - this is where a hobby becomes a disease :D

I'll need to sell my Rocket 3 and maybe the Triumph Trophy SE if I'm going to get my BH into the workshop :roll:

EDIT: Or I could move to the States and get a bigger Garage. 8-)
STEVE, I have a touring model Rocket 3, which one do you have? I'm really impressed with this bike. Its probably the best touring bike I ever rode. I rode mine with my wife on the back 600 miles in one day a few months ago, I have a hard time driving a car 600 miles in a day. The bike is also fast and torque is amazing. I got a cruise control out of Australia made for the Rocket and that was a great addition. Normally I use the Boss Hoss for my long distance rides but sometimes its fun to ride a smaller bike with a clutch and gears that handles good and stops good. Really can't compare it with a Boss Hoss as its apples and oranges, about the only thing in common with the BH and other motorcycles is they all have two wheels.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
rocketsteve

Post by rocketsteve »

I have the original 2004 unit, bought it new when they 1st came out and now lives in a VacBag so now it's virtually just a Space Invader, Ha!
I can only imagine the BH will spin while the R3 wheelies down the road...

SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

RocketSteve wrote:I have the original 2004 unit, bought it new when they 1st came out and now lives in a VacBag so now it's virtually just a Space Invader, Ha!
I can only imagine the BH will spin while the R3 wheelies down the road...

Steve your Rocket looks NEW so I know you take care of it and treasure it. My Boss still looks new and I have ridden it in all the western states and up to Canada. it is definitely faster than the Rocket but not as much as many would think. The damn Rocket hauls ass and it does it with only
eight to one compression. There is a guy here in New Jersey that takes a stock Rocket and does headwork, raises the compression and a cam and gives the bike back to you with 275 horsepower at the rear wheel for about eight grand. Its so reliable he will sell you a new one for eight grand over the MSRP and Triumph still keeps the warrantee.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada