Trike suspension

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
knockdolian

Trike suspension

Post by knockdolian »

Next issue, the wife is complaining that the rear suspension is too firm. How good is the air ride system. Will it prevent the body rolling on bends as it would with softer springs. I have a pair of adjustable coil overs and a pair of dampers don't know if that is standard. What alternatives is there ?
Thanks
Paul
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Re: Trike suspension

Post by CanuckHoss »

Paul..

I have put lots of posts about the trike suspensions...if it is too hard then IT IS NOT ADJUSTED PROPERLY...it is that simple...unless you have the shocks set as soft as possible and it is still hard then new stock coil over shocks are in order.

I have my 57 Chev trike set at 15 threads and a Sierra set about 4 more as in the attached pictures. The 57 is perfect...will bottom out very very slightly with 2 aboard on our WORST bumps..not an issue...I am sure you don't have shit bumps like we do

Tell me how many threads your shocks are turned up please...if it is super harsh riding then screw them down 2 threads at a time and go for a ride until you find the sweet spot..one thread makes a difference but because you are saying really hard I am assuming you can drop a couple at a time.

I usually jack the trike up and put the frame on 2 stands and then let the rear end hang...that takes the weight off the shocks and makes them easier to turn down.

Also...setting the tire pressure in the rear to 15 to 17 lbs makes a big difference over the smaller expansion joints..BUT...be warned not to take the trike over 80 to 85 mph with those pressures...If you ride at higher speeds like that then keep he pressures at 20 plus or so. Experiment...once you have the shocks set good then drop the pressures to 17 and you will see the difference.

Airride?? I have ridden 2 new LS3 trikes with the Monroe airride and neither of them rode as good as my stock shocks that are adjusted properly on my 57 or any other trike I have bought and sold.

The only airride I have seen that was worth the money was the one Tim at Boss Hoss Concept sold or sells but I do not believe anyone needs to spend the money on airride for the trikes.

I don't know a lot of shit about a lot of things but I do know these trike suspensions and how to make them work...

Take a picture and post it for me showing the shocks where they adjust please.

Also just reread your post...the dampners also will make the trike ride stiffer but then maybe you can go less threads on the shocks...if you have 2 dampers they could be replaced with limiting straps as the new models have.

I am here for more questions...GOOD LUCK and make it ride like a pillow!!!

:canada: :canada: :canada: :canada:
Attachments
IMG_1347.JPG
IMG_1346.JPG
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

Thanks Barry, I've always been told that taking the adjuster up or down only adjusts the ride height and Spring bounce is down to rebound and Spring rating. I'll get a photo tomorrow and have a play. I personally don't find it hard but my wife does. As you are well aware too soft will cause body roll. Is an anti sway bar available ?
Just for information and Gordon will back me up I'm sure. We have huge pot holes !!
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Just been and took some photos and guess what?
From what you say im guessing the second set of dampers work the other way preventing roll?
image.jpeg
Attachments
On a happier note, she's happy with the arm rests I've made
On a happier note, she's happy with the arm rests I've made
And the raised foot rests
And the raised foot rests
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

knockdolian wrote:Thanks Barry, I've always been told that taking the adjuster up or down only adjusts the ride height and Spring bounce is down to rebound and Spring rating. I'll get a photo tomorrow and have a play. I personally don't find it hard but my wife does. As you are well aware too soft will cause body roll. Is an anti sway bar available ?
Just for information and Gordon will back me up I'm sure. We have huge pot holes !!
No sway bars...they are not neccesary.

Adjusting the shock by turning the threads one way or the other is not to adjust the ride height...it adjusts the firmness or softness. There is no rebound or dampning adjustments on the stock trike shocks....again not neccesary.

Ask V-man about these trikes and how I adjust them without airride...
CanuckHoss

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

OK..just saw your pictures...I counted 19 or 20 turns / threads screwed in. Way to tight..mine are 15 or 16

Go to 17 and if still rough with you and your wife go down to 16 and try it....etc etc etc.

You could also change those dampning shocks to the limiting straps and that would soften the ride but first try and get the ride soft by unscrewing the shocks...it HAS to work...

The second set of dampners / shocks are supposed to stop the "pogo" effect when you hit the throttle and the rear of the trike rises but they are not successful...
CanuckHoss

knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

Thanks Barry, you may be aware by now this is all new to me !! I'll have a play tomorrow and report back
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

knockdolian wrote:Thanks Barry, you may be aware by now this is all new to me !! I'll have a play tomorrow and report back
I know that Paul...it will get to where you will love the ride...in earlier years of trikes...1999 to maybe 2003 or 4 they only used 1 of those damper shocks so putting a set of limiting straps was not possible without welding tabs for the one side.

The good news is the quality of ride your wife is after won't cost you an arm and a leg...almost zero...
CanuckHoss

GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

Spot on Paul - potholes!!!!! we are the kings of potholes as our local councils take our taxes and cut the street lights, take our rubbish only every fortnight and don't even patch the potholes until they get damage claims!!!
Gordon from England
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

Barry, I've wound the springs down. 17 threads showing. Wasn't able to test as I've been playing with upgrading the brakes. While the wheel was off I was looking at the shocks. They are at a very steep angle for such a short swing arm. If as you say the second dampers aren't necessary I was thinking of fitting the coil over shock where the damper is ??
Attachments
image.jpeg
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

knockdolian wrote:Barry, I've wound the springs down. 17 threads showing. Wasn't able to test as I've been playing with upgrading the brakes. While the wheel was off I was looking at the shocks. They are at a very steep angle for such a short swing arm. If as you say the second dampers aren't necessary I was thinking of fitting the coil over shock where the damper is ??
That is the "normal" angle for the shocks. Those other dampening shocks are not needed as they make the ride harsher BUT when Boss Hoss took them off they replaced with a limiting strap...which limits the travel of the trike body upwards while accelerating...so you need either the dampening shocks OR the limiting straps..

An option for the limiting straps if you don't have access to easily is to put a length of chain..just plain old chain to replace the dampener shock...just bolt it where that one is. The length of the chain should be the same as the dampener extended bolt to bolt. Also get a bicycle inner tube and put the chain through it thus making the chain "rubber coated" to not rub against the frame anywhere. This is NOT my idea. Another dealer used it all the time when replacing the dampener shocks...because chain is cheaper and works as well as the straps...

My wife and I are total 300 lbs to give you an idea of our weight which makes a difference for the rear shock setting. If we were 400 lbs I would imagine one thread tighter would be in order or 1 1/2..that is where the experimenting comes in. Also my 57 body is heavier than your 32 coupe.

if you would like to leave the dampening shocks on I think you would be ok and still find that sweet spot in the shock adjustment...

I am anxious to see where you end up with the setting. You should actually be able to press on the body pretty hard and be able to get the suspension to work a bit if you are around our weight...that is the way the 57 is...if you are heavier then maybe it won't do that when sitting there.
CanuckHoss

knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

Thanks again for the detailed reply, I'll let you know how I get on. The comment about the shock angle was mearlly an observation. The more upright a shock is the more effective it is. We too weigh about 300 combined. Most of that is me !!
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

knockdolian wrote:Thanks again for the detailed reply, I'll let you know how I get on. The comment about the shock angle was mearlly an observation. The more upright a shock is the more effective it is. We too weigh about 300 combined. Most of that is me !!

Initially I did a couple trikes where I swapped the positions of the shocks and the limiting straps. The limiting straps were then on quite an angle and the shocks were almost straight up and down..rode great... I thought that was the only way to get the trikes to ride smooth. Then I played with the settings on the shocks in the layed down position.,.stock position...and had the same results if not better so I stick with that now.
CanuckHoss

jm8032

Post by jm8032 »

I had a very poor ride with the stock setup on a 2002 Coup Trike (SB). 20 Inch rims with about 2” of sidewall were switched for stock BH-9 rims (20lbs air) Helped.

Tried Monroe MA826 Air Shocks with 16” Skylifter limiting straps in Laydown position. By the time I got enough air (80 lbs as I recall) in the shocks to keep from tire rub on cornering… still poor ride.
Shared concerns with Barry ( AKA Canuck Hoss ) at 2014 Bike week and he recommended an upright stock Shock/spring and replace recoil shock with limiting straps. Thank You Barry!
Went home and did a (hillbilly engineering) temporary crossbar spring perch. 1 ½ inch ¼ inch wall box tube held down by 2 Boat trailer spring shackles. Very good ride! Left that in place till past April (13,000 miles) when I sent the BH to the factory for some repairs.

http://www.v8bikers.com/viewtopic.php?t=3202

While there, I had them weld on permanent shock towers. T.J. (shop Forman) recommended that a plate be welded over the shock mounts for added strength. Looks great. Works great! The towers were for dune buggys and ordered from Ebay. Notice the Limiting straps are adjustable via a turnbuckle over the frame. I just remove seat and adjust thru an access hole under seat pan.

Question off topic.. Did the SB 385 HP come with roller rockers? I can’t find that in going over the specs. Mine has them and I wonder what else was done “inside” the engine.

My experience with the Factory repair was super. The guys did all the things on my laundry list and then some. Recommended upgrades and kept me informed. If you don’t have a dealer nearby it is worth the trip to deal with them. TJ knows the Boss Hoss and is great to work with.
Attachments
Temporary Spring Perch
Temporary Spring Perch
Shock Mount from E-Bay
Shock Mount from E-Bay
Roller Rockers - Stock for the SB-385?
Roller Rockers - Stock for the SB-385?
New Spring towers in place
New Spring towers in place
New Spring towers in place - notice Turnbuckle for limit strap adjust
New Spring towers in place - notice Turnbuckle for limit strap adjust
Air Shock and Strap in Lay down position
Air Shock and Strap in Lay down position
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

Thanks jm8032 that looks good job. Wife and i have a 150 round trip on Saturday and I have adjusted the springs as recommend by Barey. So we will see how we get on with that. Are the shocks on yours the stock ones ? It's not for me I find the ride ok but my wife is small and finds it too firm. Nice to know there are options
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

jm8032 wrote:I had a very poor ride with the stock setup on a 2002 Coup Trike (SB). 20 Inch rims with about 2” of sidewall were switched for stock BH-9 rims (20lbs air) Helped.

Shared concerns with Barry ( AKA Canuck Hoss ) at 2014 Bike week and he recommended an upright stock Shock/spring and replace recoil shock with limiting straps. Thank You Barry!
Went home and did a (hillbilly engineering) temporary crossbar spring perch. 1 ½ inch ¼ inch wall box tube held down by 2 Boat trailer spring shackles. Very good ride! Left that in place till past April (13,000 miles) when I sent the BH to the factory for some repairs.

While there, I had them weld on permanent shock towers. T.J. (shop Forman) recommended that a plate be welded over the shock mounts for added strength. Looks great. Works great! The towers were for dune buggys and ordered from Ebay. Notice the Limiting straps are adjustable via a turnbuckle over the frame. I just remove seat and adjust thru an access hole under seat pan.

Jim..

At the time we talked I definitely felt that upright "had" to be done for the best ride...as I mentioned in my first answer here a great ride can be done laid down...but I still like the upright idea...

I really like what they did with you upright shock mounts...top notch job for sure...glad you are happy with it.
CanuckHoss

knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

Well we did 100 mile trip today and to quote my wife" I'm not getting back on that bloody thing again" so in short, not good. I'm not saying your wrong Barry. It could just be that the spring rating is too high. Next thing is to move the shocks where the dampers are. I'll see if that helps. Barry, do you know what springs you have ?
mmaupin

Post by mmaupin »

knockdolian wrote:Well we did 100 mile trip today and to quote my wife" I'm not getting back on that bloody thing again" so in short, not good. I'm not saying your wrong Barry. It could just be that the spring rating is too high. Next thing is to move the shocks where the dampers are. I'll see if that helps. Barry, do you know what springs you have ?
Sounds like a great setup. Please provide exact details......LOL :anvil:, :ohthedrama:
Regards,

Mark

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

knockdolian wrote:Well we did 100 mile trip today and to quote my wife" I'm not getting back on that bloody thing again" so in short, not good. I'm not saying your wrong Barry. It could just be that the spring rating is too high. Next thing is to move the shocks where the dampers are. I'll see if that helps. Barry, do you know what springs you have ?
You just have to experiment. If it is that rough drop at least 2 more threads. Get it to at least ride good for you. As I mentioned before I am hoping that the shocks are stock Boss Hoss trike shocks. If so it will get to a good position. Patience

I have whatever the stock ones are for Boss Hoss...yours look the same...keep dropping threads...I dont think the dampners could be making it that rough on their own..has to be the shock setting...

My wife has 6 compression fractures in her back from last year ( and lost 2 inches in height) and I am almost taking her on the trike so I am confident in our ride...yours will get there..somehow!! keep giving me the feedback and we will make it work...
CanuckHoss

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Also...it could be those damn rebound dampers causing the harsh ride...can you take them off to test something ??

If you now have a setting on the shocks less than my 502 they might be an issue. They stop the trike body from rising when accelerating harder...if you can take them off then try some settings on the shock after that to find the right position. BUT DON'T accelerate really hard to make the body rise a lot as there is nothing stopping it rising to far and MAYBE causing harm to the stock shocks when they get to the end of their travel and stop the body from rising...
CanuckHoss

knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

Well I've taken the rear dampers off. It also removed the top mount of the shock and bolted it to the damper top mount. This gives an almost upright shock. I didn't get time to test it tonight but maybe tomorrow . Barry, you say the dampers were to stop the back rising on hard acceleration. Surly the rear suspension compresses during hard acceleration as the front rises. What am I missing ??
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

knockdolian wrote:Well I've taken the rear dampers off. It also removed the top mount of the shock and bolted it to the damper top mount. This gives an almost upright shock. I didn't get time to test it tonight but maybe tomorrow . Barry, you say the dampers were to stop the back rising on hard acceleration. Surly the rear suspension compresses during hard acceleration as the front rises. What am I missing ??
By design the trikes body and frame rise upon acceleration and not the opposite. Limiting straps of some sort are a must I believe as the shocks are meant for providing the ride and not the top limit of travel
CanuckHoss

knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

Thanks again, as you can tell by now I don't know shit but always willing to learn and always looking for a reason to get my spammers out. Every day is a school day as they say . I'll bang some ratchet straps on it for the test ride. That will control body roll at least. Can't have the wife uncomfortable can we !!
Does anybody know the spring rate of the stock coil overs and did they change over the years
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

knockdolian wrote:Thanks again, as you can tell by now I don't know shit but always willing to learn and always looking for a reason to get my spammers out. Every day is a school day as they say . I'll bang some ratchet straps on it for the test ride. That will control body roll at least. Can't have the wife uncomfortable can we !!
Does anybody know the spring rate of the stock coil overs and did they change over the years

This is all I could find on the Dealer net..they are Carerra shocks

6770100A-1 shock, ASSY. TRIKE EA W/220# SPRING RATE P/C SPRING / SET INCLUDES: 1 - shock P/N 6770110, 1 - SPRING P/N 6770120-1

I have the part number at work on an invoice from a few years ago and will double check that is the one...pretty sure it is..
CanuckHoss

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

CanuckHoss wrote:
knockdolian wrote:Thanks again, as you can tell by now I don't know shit but always willing to learn and always looking for a reason to get my spammers out. Every day is a school day as they say . I'll bang some ratchet straps on it for the test ride. That will control body roll at least. Can't have the wife uncomfortable can we !!

This is all I could find on the Dealer net..they are Carerra shocks

6770100A-1 shock, ASSY. TRIKE EA W/220# SPRING RATE P/C SPRING / SET INCLUDES: 1 - shock P/N 6770110, 1 - SPRING P/N 6770120-1

I have the part number at work on an invoice from a few years ago and will double check that is the one...pretty sure it is..
Yes. That is the part number I have ordered and installed 3 times
CanuckHoss