AUTOSOL boys...AUTOSOL

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

AUTOSOL boys...AUTOSOL

Post by CanuckHoss »

My F350 is 3 years old and I am buying out the Lease. Looking at the discolored tin rim covers...not rims... from our salted/ sanded winter roads I was going to buy nice rims for it. Josh said to polish with Autosol..I was hugely skeptical...well 10 minutes per rim got results I could not believe

So I also did the front trike aluminum rim...wow...would be nice to do with the tire of and the rotors off once a year...

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/autos ... 2954p.html
Attachments
IMG_1194.JPG
IMG_1192.JPG
IMG_1190.JPG
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
V8Bikers
Site Admin

Re: AUTOSOL boys...AUTOSOL

Post by V8Bikers »

WOW, looks great, what a difference :o

DeLand, FL.

"This is just one of the many reasons I love V8Bikers; able to openly display T&A, curse, say what you will;
able to be a fucking man here. Thanks Bill" - Grand Canard
Hoss97

Post by Hoss97 »

( Going to Canadian tire to buy a bottle )
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Hoss97 wrote:( Going to Canadian tire to buy a bottle )

Tube?? my stuff was in a tube...and it is really effortless..
CanuckHoss

GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

Solvol is great, always had at least one tube ready since '72, I've used it for all finishes, bare metal to get to mirror finish, used it on chrome too. On a buffer/dremel it can transform dull/rusted metal parts. Even used it as a grinding paste for scratched surfaces and prepping painted surfaces ( I know I shouldn't but it works so well).

My BH wheels are very smooth so I have converted to Mothers Billet for them (another great product) but any marks will be 'solvolled' out. Every garage should have some.
Gordon from England
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

I've been using it for years. Greate for ally but it will distort chrome over time as it's more abrasive than it feels and looks. Balgon alu ? Think that's how you spell it, is another very good ally polish
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

So guys, which is the best? Mothers Mag & Ali, Mothers billet, Solvol, Belgom Alu or another?
Gordon from England
Ron Radulski

Post by Ron Radulski »

GordonBH wrote:So guys, which is the best? Mothers Mag & Ali, Mothers billet, Solvol, Belgom Alu or another?
Mothers make my wheels look like chrome. I've had a lot of compliments on them. Been using it on my wheels for 8 plus years now.
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

Is that Mothers Mag & Ali Triker?
Gordon from England
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

GordonBH wrote:So guys, which is the best? Mothers Mag & Ali, Mothers billet, Solvol, Belgom Alu or another?
Which ever works for you Gordon....I won't try all the rest cause this worked for me...

AND thess rims were nasty nasty...not many on here drive salted / sanded winter roads for 4 to 5 months of the year
CanuckHoss

Ron Radulski

Post by Ron Radulski »

GordonBH wrote:Is that Mothers Mag & Ali Triker?
Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

Hi Barry and Triker,

I've got autosol so I'll try the Mag and Ali, this sounds sad but I'm looking forward to a comparison test...
Gordon from England
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

Gordon I am curious to what the results are- please let us know -thanks :capwin:

Hoss97

Post by Hoss97 »

I just used autsol on my bikes rims, rad, and all other Chrome and aluminum parts including the rad, huge difference.

Steve
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

Permit me to go off topic for a moment. I'm old and we geezers like to rant. It relieves stress.
It seems that, in the past 20 years, or so, what we once referred to as "wheels' has morphed into "rims". I know, English is a fluid, ever changing language, but it is not always for the best. This, sometimes forces us into clumsy, ponderous terminology. For example....a while back, on The Jockey Journal, a kid was looking for "rim hoops". Everyone thought he needed rubber rim strips that prevent chafing the inner tube. He insisted that, no, he needed rim hoops. It was, finally, determined that what he wanted were rims. Since he insisted on calling wheels, "rims", he needed to come up with a new name for what is actually, the rim. A wheel consists of a rim and something to attach it to the hub, be it spokes or a stamped or machined center. Quite often, we have one piece wheels. The rim is just the outer portion of said wheel. Again, once we had wheels, now we have rims or, God help us, "Rimz". That really gives me the runs. Now instead of hubcaps or wheel covers, we must now have "rim covers".
Early man didn't invent the rim. He invented the wheel

Rant over.....La Fong out ;)
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

How about triple stands or is it triple tree?

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

SQ4MN wrote:How about triple stands or is it triple tree?
I remember back in the day we called them triple clamps .
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

hogv8 wrote:
SQ4MN wrote:How about triple stands or is it triple tree?
I remember back in the day we called them triple clamps .

That is correct, next was triple stands, then triple trees. I used to make narrowed ones in the machine shop for glide legs. You probably remember slugs which actually would work good on BH legs today if they were 2 inches. A little more ground clearance and would prevent the fan motor from hitting the front fender on some bikes.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

I machined a set of narrower triple clamps back years ago and ended up having to machine a narrowed spool because I couldn't buy one narrow enough to fit between the lower fork legs . Turned out pretty cool .
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

They're triple clamps at my house, also. The part that goes on top is the fork crown.
Trees have leaves and squirrels.
Here's the third post that I made in my, internationally recognized and universally ignored, blog where I, again, rant about terminology. This time it is the mythical "suicide shift"
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/2007/11/we ... think.html
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

LaFong you are dead right on your rant about the suicide shift, there never was a suicide shift, it was a suicide clutch and a jocky shift which you correctly point out. The first jockey shifts were terrible because they were bolted or welded to the arm on the side of the trans that moved in close to a 180 degree arc as it selected each gear. This caused the jockey shift lever to start in low by facing the rear wheel and as each new gear was selected the lever would move farther forward until it pointed towards the front wheel. Once Harley came out with the foot shift the transmission received a new lid which let the shift arm always return to the same position, we called it the ratchet lid and now the jockey shift lever would always return to the same position no matter what gear it was in. It also made for fast shifts without missing a shift.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

Well this thread has morphed but still an interesting take on English terminology. In England it's triple trees or clamps - no hard fast rule, either will be understood. English is very like that - many words for the same thing - the same for UK or US English even richer with the US words where new words just not used here abound sidewalk, eggplant, coveralls, median strip et al.

Of course rims, spokes and hub can make up a wheel but we also "change a wheel" after a flat - but that has the previous components plus a tire/tyre so long live freedom of dialect.

p.s. Susan - the Mag & ali is even better than the Mothers Billet in my view, glides on and leaves as close to a chrome finish as I've seen.
Gordon from England