V8 Chopper Vs Boss Hoss

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
ventury

V8 Chopper Vs Boss Hoss

Post by ventury »

Chopper Vs Boss Hoss

Firstly, the above is a contradiction in terms because I feel they can't or shouldn't be compared against each other. After now owning both I can quite clearly see they compliment each other. I will never forget the first time I straddled my first V8, it was the first one I''d seen in the flexh and the first time I threw a leg over was after I paid the biggest fortune I have ever paid for any vehicle. I remember just trying to drink in the view of looking down over the iconic legendary durable V8. It was like something had touched me deep inside, something primeval. It was a "when cave men first saw fire" moment for me.

I could have and still to this day, can happily sit on a Boss Hoss without the engine running and just lose myself for a while. The engineering feat of many, many moving parts all coming together harmoniously to give the V8 roar and acceleration controlled by fine hand control. It's a feeling and experience I had then and still do to this very day

When I first sat on Tom's chopper it was the time I was taking ownership. It gave me the same sense of awe, no difference, just a feeling of deep contentment. The sound, the feel, the smell was and still is almost symphonic. The chopper has you sitting in a very commanding outstretched posture which I found to be comfortable. The hard tail I thought would be a nightmare. I'm a heating engineer and although i have a strong back, care and consideration to the old back muscles is always a priority, a hard tail works extremely well on the V8 chopper. On smaller bikes a hard tail just turns my back column into a suspension strut, almost rattling the teeth in my head, not nice. But with the chopper it made the whole bike rigid giving a feeling of a very sure footed ride through traffic at slow pace.

Meandering and weaving was easier than the Boss Hoss as they are often prone to a slight wallow or a slight delay, the hoss is a very cushioned ride which is great and I'm not complaining. At high speeds I found the hard tail chop to be steadfast and very positive in its direction and handling. Control felt very accurate.

In short the chopper gave me a new dimension of the V8 on two wheels riding experience. Are they comparable? No not in my view. Is one better than the other? No not in my view. What they do do is compliment each other and I am one very grateful human being to have both in my stable

ride safe

Ventury
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Re: V8 Chopper Vs Boss Hoss

Post by Iron Maiden »

:thumbup: congrats Ventury!! Great write up and "comparison"!! Your biggest decision every day will be which one to ride ;)

We missed you in Pullman City :cry:

mmaupin

Post by mmaupin »

Having only ridden the Boss Hoss, I always wondered about the V8 Chopper........

Nice write up!
Regards,

Mark

ventury

Post by ventury »

Iron Maiden wrote::thumbup: congrats Ventury!! Great write up and "comparison"!! Your biggest decision every day will be which one to ride ;)

We missed you in Pullman City :cry:

Hi
I was pleased the weather was good for you guys,work commitments mainly my end,,,,,,,BUT sadly whenever I get to Pullman it rains and rains and rains some more
Europe is a jewel when we are spared the rains
John
ventury

Post by ventury »

mmaupin wrote:Having only ridden the Boss Hoss, I always wondered about the V8 Chopper........

Nice write up!
Hi
I think its simply the V8 on two wheels concept,thats the attraction,,,,,,,,,,i don't get why many wont even consider riding one.My best quote from a buddy was,,"it scares the shit out of me parked up,let alone riding it"
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

ventury wrote:
mmaupin wrote:Having only ridden the Boss Hoss, I always wondered about the V8 Chopper........

Nice write up!
Hi
I think its simply the V8 on two wheels concept,thats the attraction,,,,,,,,,,i don't get why many wont even consider riding one.My best quote from a buddy was,,"it scares the shit out of me parked up,let alone riding it"
John,

Having promoted these beasts for the past 16 years I can tell you most seasoned motorcyclists look at the size and think they are not rideable...lots of power yes but not rideable / fun bike.

I cannot count how many guys I have let sit on my Boss Hoss bikes as a dealer..most likely thousands. It took coaxing to just get them to consider sitting on it and setting it up. Of all those only a few took a short demo ride...those all came back very excited and some purchased. Not one ever came back and said they were too hard to handle...we all know what the first ride is like and what your thoughts are after 5 minutes.

The other thing we fight as dealers is the "It is not a Harley" and that happens a lot...Harley is a marketing genius...just like Apple...if you don't have one you are nothing!! That is changing as the younger guys get in and buy Victorys and Indians...those two brands are putting Harley on the run.

We don't need everyone having a V8 but definitely a few more to keep the industry moving would be very welcome.
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
ventury

Post by ventury »

Hi Barry

Very interesting reply, I agree. My pleasure was bringing such in incredible bike to the UK and showing it to people who had never seen anything like it before. The first was my '04 Boss Hoss small block. Due to my naivety I assumed people would be bowled over, intrigued and excited as I was and still am to this very day. But I soon realised it is very much a love it or hate it here in the UK. Even some of the resentment comes from the only fact of "it's American". They are the same people who will look at a fantastic performing metric bike and claim it's 'Jap Crap'. Those Brit guys will only be happy if they are riding a Triumph, open helmet, goggles, a mouth full of flies with the obligatory oil leaking, old classic Triumph that has a natural knack of passing it's petroly oily odour onto its owner.

I, and like many others here, will enjoy a conversation with a fellow rider regardless to what two wheels he's driving. But on this foggy wet rock I fondly call home the V8 concept is too much for the majority. I think it overloads the senses here on this quaint little island. But every now and then you get the Gordon or Ventury who nearly wet themselves with excitement and is like a kid in a candy store when confronted with such a V8 growling beast. The first ride I ever had was the ride home after buying my Boss, the first one I'd ever seen was when I turned up with the money in my pockets to buy it.

Most of Europe feel slightly cautious except the Germans. I have always had a wonderful reception when riding on the German roads. The Americans are often happy to express their emotions quite openly with a 'yeehaa' or a 'cool ride bro'. In Canada the reception I've witnessed on my V8 is always good but quite reserved. The French, Belgian, Dutch is usually just a silent stare but as said, the Germans, they seem to get it instantly. If I was more intelligent I would try and figure out why but as a limited IQ heating engineer the adage of 'none so queer as folk' is the best I can do.

You are so right about the Harley perception. Oddly some folk switch off as soon as I explain for the 3rd time,my V8 isn't a Harley, I don't know why that is because in my simple way of thinking, if it looks good, interesting and the owner is happy to have a conversation, I can't think of a better way to spend an hour hearing of the pros and cons and enjoyment of any beast.

As yet I have yet to capture a young person's interest which worries me for tomorrow's future on such an iconic beast.

Ride safe and regards to you and yours.

John and Laura
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

My Riding experience on V8's is rather limited. I have ridden both version of mine ( obviously ) and a Boss Trike. I am pretty sure I will be taking a Vanquish for a ride in the near future and am really looking forward to that experience as well.
It must be the cold weather in England that is altering their emotions. When I pull into a parking lot whether it is a bike night or a grocery store, people of all ages are curious about where that noise is coming from and just what in the world is it!?!? I have heard everything from "You are a lucky guy" to "You are an idiot"
Like Barry, I do let SOME people straddle it and sit in the seat. Most everyone is amazed at how well balanced it is and a lot of the fear dissipates about riding one.
If Stan has a bike available for a test ride this year in Daytona, I may just take it for a spin. It is always good to know what is out there and available
The truth is, we are all just a little nuts to be riding these machines ... and I wouldn't have it any other way :)
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

ventury wrote:Hi Barry

Very interesting reply, I agree. My pleasure was bringing such in incredible bike to the UK and showing it to people who had never seen anything like it before. The first was my '04 Boss Hoss small block. Due to my naivety I assumed people would be bowled over, intrigued and excited as I was and still am to this very day. But I soon realised it is very much a love it or hate it here in the UK. Even some of the resentment comes from the only fact of "it's American". They are the same people who will look at a fantastic performing metric bike and claim it's 'Jap Crap'. Those Brit guys will only be happy if they are riding a Triumph, open helmet, goggles, a mouth full of flies with the obligatory oil leaking, old classic Triumph that has a natural knack of passing it's petroly oily odour onto its owner.

I, and like many others here, will enjoy a conversation with a fellow rider regardless to what two wheels he's driving. But on this foggy wet rock I fondly call home the V8 concept is too much for the majority. I think it overloads the senses here on this quaint little island. But every now and then you get the Gordon or Ventury who nearly wet themselves with excitement and is like a kid in a candy store when confronted with such a V8 growling beast. The first ride I ever had was the ride home after buying my Boss, the first one I'd ever seen was when I turned up with the money in my pockets to buy it.

Most of Europe feel slightly cautious except the Germans. I have always had a wonderful reception when riding on the German roads. The Americans are often happy to express their emotions quite openly with a 'yeehaa' or a 'cool ride bro'. In Canada the reception I've witnessed on my V8 is always good but quite reserved. The French, Belgian, Dutch is usually just a silent stare but as said, the Germans, they seem to get it instantly. If I was more intelligent I would try and figure out why but as a limited IQ heating engineer the adage of 'none so queer as folk' is the best I can do.

You are so right about the Harley perception. Oddly some folk switch off as soon as I explain for the 3rd time,my V8 isn't a Harley, I don't know why that is because in my simple way of thinking, if it looks good, interesting and the owner is happy to have a conversation, I can't think of a better way to spend an hour hearing of the pros and cons and enjoyment of any beast.

As yet I have yet to capture a young person's interest which worries me for tomorrow's future on such an iconic beast.

Ride safe and regards to you and yours.

John and Laura
Thank you John...same back
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
ventury

Post by ventury »

petitemoose wrote:My Riding experience on V8's is rather limited. I have ridden both version of mine ( obviously ) and a Boss Trike. I am pretty sure I will be taking a Vanquish for a ride in the near future and am really looking forward to that experience as well.
It must be the cold weather in England that is altering their emotions. When I pull into a parking lot whether it is a bike night or a grocery store, people of all ages are curious about where that noise is coming from and just what in the world is it!?!? I have heard everything from "You are a lucky guy" to "You are an idiot"
Like Barry, I do let SOME people straddle it and sit in the seat. Most everyone is amazed at how well balanced it is and a lot of the fear dissipates about riding one.
If Stan has a bike available for a test ride this year in Daytona, I may just take it for a spin. It is always good to know what is out there and available
The truth is, we are all just a little nuts to be riding these machines ... and I wouldn't have it any other way :)

Hi Petitemoose, a trike is the one I have yet to ride and I think I'd love to. I also think Laura would join me on the longer rides more often. The comfort for one, and I think they are more forgiving after a long day in the saddle. The UK rules make it nearly impossible to get them through and legal, more's the pity because I very much think the general public would appreciate a trike more so than a motorcycle. Sadly a number of years ago infamous bike gangs/groups ruled the roads with an awful lot of gratuitous violence. They were scary and quite a force to be reckoned with. The reputation still sticks to a lot of motorcyclists today. The mentality of 'you ride a bike so you must be in a gang' still sits with a lot of car drivers today. Whereas a trike would be appreciated by both camps.

The USA and Canada have some of the finest roads in the world whereas drizzly wet foggy UK has some of the worst in the world. Some roads here were built by the Romans, cobbled and not tarmac and the width of a horse and cart. My hard tail chop will not be going near cobbled roads, especially after a little downpour - they become as slippery as moss on a rock.

I remember Tom's good lady having a beautiful trike with nitrous and also V8 Buck's new trike. They were genuine works of art. The next time I am at a US bike show I will be begging Tom at MBH or Stan for a test ride, just for the experience.

Now a trike with nitrous, that's too far for my little brain to get round "at the moment".
I hear there is a guy bringing a Vanquish here,,they have always been out of my price range,but wow,they are another dimension,,,i gather the trans is super strong to,,Photos would be appreciated from across the pond for sure

Ride safe gents.
Ventury
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

ventury wrote:Chopper Vs Boss Hoss

Firstly, the above is a contradiction in terms because I feel they can't or shouldn't be compared against each other. After now owning both I can quite clearly see they compliment each other. I will never forget the first time I straddled my first V8, it was the first one I''d seen in the flexh and the first time I threw a leg over was after I paid the biggest fortune I have ever paid for any vehicle. I remember just trying to drink in the view of looking down over the iconic legendary durable V8. It was like something had touched me deep inside, something primeval. It was a "when cave men first saw fire" moment for me.

I could have and still to this day, can happily sit on a Boss Hoss without the engine running and just lose myself for a while. The engineering feat of many, many moving parts all coming together harmoniously to give the V8 roar and acceleration controlled by fine hand control. It's a feeling and experience I had then and still do to this very day

When I first sat on Tom's chopper it was the time I was taking ownership. It gave me the same sense of awe, no difference, just a feeling of deep contentment. The sound, the feel, the smell was and still is almost symphonic. The chopper has you sitting in a very commanding outstretched posture which I found to be comfortable. The hard tail I thought would be a nightmare. I'm a heating engineer and although i have a strong back, care and consideration to the old back muscles is always a priority, a hard tail works extremely well on the V8 chopper. On smaller bikes a hard tail just turns my back column into a suspension strut, almost rattling the teeth in my head, not nice. But with the chopper it made the whole bike rigid giving a feeling of a very sure footed ride through traffic at slow pace.

Meandering and weaving was easier than the Boss Hoss as they are often prone to a slight wallow or a slight delay, the hoss is a very cushioned ride which is great and I'm not complaining. At high speeds I found the hard tail chop to be steadfast and very positive in its direction and handling. Control felt very accurate.

In short the chopper gave me a new dimension of the V8 on two wheels riding experience. Are they comparable? No not in my view. Is one better than the other? No not in my view. What they do do is compliment each other and I am one very grateful human being to have both in my stable

ride safe

Ventury
I posted my reply on the other site and I'd like to also post it here. It ended up turning into a pissing match about the speed at which your legs will fly off the pegs amongst other things. Anyway here was my original reply to Johns post.

I also have both. I've had them both for more than 6 years. My V8 Chopper is one serial number different than yours, however yours has the hot rod engine and mine is still just a 350. I agree that there is no way to compare them, they are different. The BH is the bike I ride the most because I can ride it on trips and it holds lots of stuff and has a windshield and air ride. Its an old mans bike if there is such a thing with a V8 engine in it. It seems slow compared to the Chopper but its comfortable and isn't slow at all unless I compare it to my Chopper. I used to worry about the Nesco but after 8 years I don't any more. When and if it breaks I'll deal with it. Tom and I are friends and I'll beg him to fix it. The BH has been reliable and fun and for me its a cruiser. The Chopper makes me feel 20 years old aagain every time I ride it, no other bike has done that for me. Its fast, I rode it at 152mph last year when I was younger, I'm 73 now but still feel like 20 on the Chopper. It looks better than my BH in my eyes as long as I leave it a chopper. I will never put a windshield or bags on it. It feels fast, real fast, and its not as fast as yours. Its my favorite of the two but its useless, its just a toy. I cant ride it on long trips, it doesn't have a buddy seat for my girlfriend, all that can be fixed but then the bike doesn't look good any more, at least to me. I won't ever sell it cause its worth a million bucks to feel the way I do when I ride it. Once again I'm a young BAD ASS with an attitude and the baddest bike anyones ever seen. I LOVE THE BOTH OF THESE BIKES AND LIKE YOU I'M THRILLED WITH HAVING TWO.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
ventury

Post by ventury »

Ventury[/quote]

I posted my reply on the other site and I'd like to also post it here. It ended up turning into a pissing match about the speed at which your legs will fly off the pegs amongst other things. Anyway here was my original reply to Johns post.

I also have both. I've had them both for more than 6 years. My V8 Chopper is one serial number different than yours, however yours has the hot rod engine and mine is still just a 350. I agree that there is no way to compare them, they are different. The BH is the bike I ride the most because I can ride it on trips and it holds lots of stuff and has a windshield and air ride. Its an old mans bike if there is such a thing with a V8 engine in it. It seems slow compared to the Chopper but its comfortable and isn't slow at all unless I compare it to my Chopper. I used to worry about the Nesco but after 8 years I don't any more. When and if it breaks I'll deal with it. Tom and I are friends and I'll beg him to fix it. The BH has been reliable and fun and for me its a cruiser. The Chopper makes me feel 20 years old aagain every time I ride it, no other bike has done that for me. Its fast, I rode it at 152mph last year when I was younger, I'm 73 now but still feel like 20 on the Chopper. It looks better than my BH in my eyes as long as I leave it a chopper. I will never put a windshield or bags on it. It feels fast, real fast, and its not as fast as yours. Its my favorite of the two but its useless, its just a toy. I cant ride it on long trips, it doesn't have a buddy seat for my girlfriend, all that can be fixed but then the bike doesn't look good any more, at least to me. I won't ever sell it cause its worth a million bucks to feel the way I do when I ride it. Once again I'm a young BAD ASS with an attitude and the baddest bike anyones ever seen. I LOVE THE BOTH OF THESE BIKES AND LIKE YOU I'M THRILLED WITH HAVING TWO.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply SQ4MN.I was about to reply but my thread quickly became "not my thread"
You are right, the chop does have the reverse ageing effect. I approach my chopper as a successful 50 year old engineering firm owner, throw my leg over and the transformation begins. It starts by the 20 year old grin that crawls all over my face, hit the start, slide it into gear and pull off down the road feeling all the cares and concerns, mortgages, children, wife and many, many woes of the world falling off me. I'm a clueless 20 year old again and the big difference for me is I'm still driving with full respect to the machine I'm on and not just swinging on the throttle and holding on wondering if I'm going to be in one piece at the end of this journey, but impressing my buddies with the speed I can do it in. The feeling is better than that because although feeling a complete reversal of the ageing effect, common sense and riding with respect not only to others but to yourself is still there. It seems to me the older I get the happier with life I am.

The Boss Hoss as previously said, always has an incredible effect every time I ride, but I don't feel like I'm riding round to my girlfriend's house with the cleanest pair of jeans I've got and trying to encourage my stubble to look more like a beard. [

So totally agree, the chopper feeling is priceless. My next ambition is to encourage, promote and bring another chopper or two into the UK which is no easy feat, because as proud as I am to be British we can be a bunch of f'ing weirdoes. LOL.

Ride safe.
John & Laura (she will always be my 20 yr old girlfriend for sure)
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

John, if you and Laura ever come to Las Vegas be sure to get a hold of me, I'd like to meet you in person.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
Buck
$ite $upporter

Post by Buck »

"I'd like to meet you in person."
Dave, I don't know about that, he talks funny and his hair is long.......wait a minute, he would fit right in with this bunch.
Buck
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

You guys are all right. The feeling is unique, no other motorcycles can give so much, although I've never ridden a V8 Chopper (that reminds me I must ride down to Ventury's neighborhood :D ).

Recently one guy stopped and said he thought my BH SS was ugly, nice first comment, but in the same sentence he said he'd never have the guts to pull away and lift his feet - and as for roundabouts! He also jumped when I started her up - kind of says it all about the general public and that includes every biker I've met. Although my first real ride was in winter, 40 miles on icy roads to my vehicle test centre - that was truly scary as I had to lean it out to pass the test and then raise the idle speed to 1200 to keep it running!

I owe a lot to John (Ventury) helping me get my SS into the UK and street legal and it's been the greatest motoring experience of my life, still is every time I press that button. Every ride is a thrill and with my new pipes when I rip up to 100 then shut off the throttle the sound is just like in Bullit's fastback on overun.

In the final analysis, both have V8s and that's the killer common denominator. I also can just go to the garage and sit on her without starting her up for a few minutes...
Gordon from England
ventury

Post by ventury »

I owe a lot to John (Ventury) helping me get my SS into the UK and street legal and it's been the greatest motoring experience of my life, still is every time I press that button.

minutes...[/quote]

Gordon
it was a privilege to help a top guy like your self
Just trying to introduce the V8 here in the UK is not easy,,most folk just shy away mumbling, as if iam trying to introduce "fire" for the first time.I love being british but come on Brits,,,where is the "Dunkirk spirit"lol
ride safe bro
John
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

ventury wrote:I owe a lot to John (Ventury) helping me get my SS into the UK and street legal and it's been the greatest motoring experience of my life, still is every time I press that button.

minutes...
Gordon
it was a privilege to help a top guy like your self
Just trying to introduce the V8 here in the UK is not easy,,most folk just shy away mumbling, as if iam trying to introduce "fire" for the first time.I love being british but come on Brits,,,where is the "Dunkirk spirit"lol
ride safe bro
John[/quote]

Even over here most bike riders aren't interested in the V8 bikes. If they ride one they usually completely change their minds and all of a sudden have a whole new attitude. In the end all of us V8 riders will always be a small minority but we are different and we love it.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
ventury

Post by ventury »

SQMN4
You are right,,once ridden then the V8 bug bits.I think its good in one way we are very few in numbers
Enjoy your ride bro,Sturgis will be a blast,i don't think I can get there but last minute is my middle name,even if I have to sleep out with the stars,it would be a massive experience for me
regards
John