Hibernation

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Hibernation

Post by Carl La Fong »

It's about time that the woodland critters begin their winter nap, but for me, it's time to wake up. If anyone follows my nonsensical (link below) blog, then they know that I'm up to my armpits in a kitchen remodel. The bike has been neglected for far too long. I went into the garage yesterday and today and drug it out for a cleanup and a good tinkering. The last time that I rode it, about 3 months ago, I noticed some clutch slippage. I dismantled the linkage today and added a Zerk to the mousetrap so I could grease it. After a few adjustments, she works as slick as snot on a brass doorknob. A hot lap around the block and everything works as intended. Tomorrow I'll get out the bucket, soap, wax and rags and give it a good going over. It has a thick, protective coating of dust and spider webs right now. Sunday, if all goes well, I'll ride with Squirm to the British bike meet. Yeah, I'll have to park in the rear with all of the other non Brit stuff, but it should be cool to look at all the Triumphs, Beezers, and other Limey stuff
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Re: Hibernation

Post by Iron Maiden »

Carl - glad to hear you were able to adjust your clutch and take her for a spin!! I like all your "upgrades" that you think to do. I saw a picture in a previous post of your fuse box. Is it easy to replace a fuse box ? If you took the same time and care with your kitchen remoldeling as you did your fuse box it must look fabulous!

Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

I actually rewired the whole bike. A previous owner has done a number of modifications to the harness. He, evidently, did not own a soldering gun or a pair of crimping pliers, but did have a controlling interest in an electrical tape manufacturer. I had removed the water and fuel pumps, the electric fuel switchover valve and added a super duper, touch control, setup for the major functions usually on the handlebars (that failed). All this and the corrosion on the wires and fusebox (the bike came from Florida) led me to toss the harness and redo the whole deal. Replacing the fusebox is simple, just remove the old one, be sure to tie all the wires together that go to the same terminal, mark what they do on a hunk of painters tape and reconnect them to the new box. Replace the fuses with the recommended ones for each circuit.
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

Update:
Well, the ride went well. The show was pretty cool if you're a Brit bike fancier. A ton of Triumphs as expected, but a lot of others, also. Enfields, Velos, Vincents, BSAs, as well as a bunch of cool, non Limey, stuff. The BH was a real attention getter. At 10:00 or so, we all took off for a ride through the SoCal foothills to the small town of Acton, which is spitting distance from The Fongderosa. We stuffed ourselves with some pretty good Mexican food and then headed over Angeles Crest highway and back to the show venue. I had a tough time keeping up with Squirm, on his TR-6, and Stan, of V8 Choppers, on his Kawi W650, but I did OK with a half ton motorcycle on a twisty road. The only casualty was my kickstand spring. This is the second one that I've ground off. I have to figure out a better setup.
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

Sounds like you had a nice ride- I can't wait to hear your ideas on fixing the spring. Keep us posted.

Swiss V8

Post by Swiss V8 »

Carl La Fong wrote:I had a tough time keeping up with Squirm, on his TR-6, and Stan, of V8 Choppers, on his Kawi W650, but I did OK with a half ton motorcycle on a twisty road. The only casualty was my kickstand spring. This is the second one that I've ground off. I have to figure out a better setup.
Great, you finally get to ride your BH!

I know that feeling, following other 'smaller' motorcycles through twisties.
My spring usually lasts 1.5 to 2 years. I'm buying them at a local motorcycle shop every now and then... 8-)
Martin

BHRA President Europe