Youtube fix for lower fork leg leak

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Youtube fix for lower fork leg leak

Post by CanuckHoss »

Does anyone have a link to that fix someone put years ago on Youtube on how to fix where the lower 12" of fork screws to the rest of the lower fork??

Thank you
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
mmaupin

Re: Youtube fix for lower fork leg leak

Post by mmaupin »

Barry,

I remember the video and used that procedure on mine. The origination of the fix was by Adrian. After some searching on the other website, it looks like the video was taken down...a shame! It was originally posted by "IowaV8". In another post from the other board, here is a written procedure:

Proceedure:
1. Remove the fender.
2. Turn the fender clamps around 180 degrees with bolts removed.
3. Get yourself a piece of steel approx. 1"x 8" in length x 1/8 " thick.
4. Drill 2 holes on the flat side in the same location as your clamp holes and the same size as well. Use your clamp as a template and for alignment ccuracy.
5. What I did was bend the 2 ends (1" on each end 90deg.) Drill a 1/2" hole in the middle of each of these 2 end flaps.
6. Bolt the flat piece to the clamp tightly with the flaps pointing outside.
7. Slide a 12+"rod from one end and thru the other to gain a leverage point to make a handle/wrench of sorts.
7a. If your flat steel is strong enough (thicker gage), put the rod thru one end only about 3" inches in. This gives you very good leverage.
8. Begin loosening to the left. The forks are pretty tight so be ready for that.
9. Loosen the fork about half turn maybe more for starters.
10. Elevate the front end sufficient to take the weight off the wheel. You may choose to do this from the begining. However, jerking on the forks while elevated may create peanut butter in your shorts if the bike moves.
Raising the front will enable you to turn the fork by hand. Otherwise, you'll be there for an hour each fork. Advise blue (Nitrile) mechanic latex gloves for good grip.
11. Unscrew the fork to expose about 1/2 inch thread.
12. Carefully clean the threads thoroughly with a brake cleaner.
13. Once cleaned, choice to either teflon tape the thread or use loctite. I used teflon.
14. Tighten the forks up, lower the bike and you're good to go.

I used medium strength thread locker (loctite) on mine. Worked like a champ.
Regards,

Mark

Sonny

Re: Youtube fix for lower fork leg leak

Post by Sonny »

I did that fix on my first BH and it worked perfectly. I just used a piece of angle iron with the holes already drilled in it and bolted it to the fender clamps. The tubes weren't hard to unscrew.
2009 350/385 MBH bike