Mountain Boss Hoss for repair quote?

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Jack

Mountain Boss Hoss for repair quote?

Post by Jack »

I don't know that I want to haul the bike anywhere, but I'm running out of options. Mountain is about 3 hours from me, I can certainly tow it to them, but is there a shop that you guys are familiar with that would be able to give me a quote for my insurance company? I can't get anyone local to even look at it, and that is fine - at least they're being honest.

Tank, bars, both fenders need paint, clutch work, exhaust, header cover, foot pegs, turn signals, front end work, and a couple other odds and ends. I can send (and post) pics if anyone thinks that would be adequate to get a number.
Attachments
IMG_7569.JPG
IMG_7565.JPG
IMG_7558.JPG
IMG_7527.JPG
IMG_7526.JPG
IMG_7525.JPG
IMG_7524.JPG
IMG_7523.JPG
1998 Wild One Custom - Homebuilt
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Re: Mountain Boss Hoss for repair quote?

Post by CanuckHoss »

Because it is not a Boss Hoss I am thinking any Aftermarket shop close to you could do the estimate for you...treated as a "custom".
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
Grand Canard

Post by Grand Canard »

Bring it to Mountain, otherwise you’ll likely regret not doing so.

EDIT - I thought this was a Boss Hoss, just had a quick glance and didn't open pics on my phone; Mountain not going to touch that, bring it to a custom shop.
Last edited by Grand Canard on Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Work when you have to,
Quit when you can.
Follow your dream
Be your own man.
Drink when you're thirsty
Whoop when you're high.
Love a good woman...
Ride till you die."
Jack

Post by Jack »

Local shops don’t want to look at it. Harley, custom, or otherwise.

Mountain it is. I think they actually looked at the bike 20 years ago when it was damaged in shipping and blasted out of the crate damn near. Thanks.
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

The repair quote will shock you. These bikes are expensive to start with with but what you have will take a lot of fab work to recreate damaged parts OR adapt BH parts to fit. That takes time and time is big money. I was still bleeding through the bandages when the adjuster called me with stupid numbers totaling 1/4 of the actual cost. I had him go to Mike Kelly's shop where he got an education. He then called me back saying, get it fixed and send me the bill. Of Course there was more drama between the initial call and the resolution but the point is, unless you take it to someone qualified and prepared to handle the job, the Ins co. will low ball everything. Partly out of ignorance and partly out of being an Insurance Co.
If you transport the bike to Mountain, keep track of mileage ( Pic of Odometer before and after ) and gas receipts. You are entitled to be compensated for transportation to a repair facility.
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
Jack

Post by Jack »

Thanks for the heads up on the receipts... every little bit helps.

I'm expecting a fairly hefty bill based off of the fabrication needs...

I actually found an original tank for an American King V ... but because it is original, it doesn't look like my custom tank, and it is full of rust, and it is $2200. Bare steel.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Mountain doesn’t want to touch it.
Ravinsomniac

Post by Ravinsomniac »

Looking at the photos, it doesn't look that bad. I would tell the Insurance Company it will cost $9000, parts and labor to repair it. You can remove the gas tank and header cover and call around to bike shops to see who can pop the dents out and refinish them. The foot pegs you can get at an aftermarket Harley dealer or buy them on eBay. Their are tons of aftermarket Harley parts on line if you look. If the forks are bent and need replacing, contact American Suspension and tell them what you have. If the frame or frame neck is bent, you may consider selling it and just buy another bike. If it is bent, EVERYTHING has to come apart. My Kannon has many custom made and aftermarket Harley parts I have modified and installed over the years, simply because original parts are no longer available. It's what we have to face when you own a custom made, two wheel Hot Rod.
Jack

Post by Jack »

There are only 2 kinds of parts on the bike, Harley, and custom.

Most of the superficial damage is absolutely Harley aftermarket. The pegs and grips were from Amazon, and had less than 100 miles on them.
The front end is Harley... would love to replace with a wide glide, narrow chopper style front tire, nice rake, etc... Those ape hangers are Harley, will probably do taller risers and drag bars. Grips, Harley style again, Amazon, brand new.

Gas tank is 100% custom, and was just completely restored to the tune of $2k. Unfortunately, because the bike was spinning on the tank, I have no idea how much material is left... the metal is thin there - thinner now-
but how thin?

Just sucks because I literally restored the whole bike just a couple months before it was dumped. With the injuries I have from the accident, standing next to the bike and wrenching on it for months on end is probably not an option anymore... I blew my bike budget on the restore... oh well. Once my garage is done I'll drag it out of storage, get the lift setup, and start tearing into it.
Ravinsomniac

Post by Ravinsomniac »

I've seen many photos of wrecked, customized Hot Rods over the years. We have the 2 wheeled versions. You have to decide whether to part it out, sell it as is, or repair it. Kannon made their gas tanks from Harley Fat Bob tanks, cut in half and widened with a section of sheet steel down the middle. Your tank appears similar. You say you saw an original American King V tank you could buy verses repairing yours. I would guess they made their tanks similar to Kannon. Repair or replace, it's up to you. Just like a damaged Hot Rod, many mechanics won't touch it. They don't want the liability of it getting into another wreck from a unseen crack in the frame. As far as the Insurance, if no one wants to give you a written quote, I would estimate it around $9000 and see if they will go with that. I hope you heal well..
Jack

Post by Jack »

Yeah, my tanks are just that. You can see the underside here -

http://www.v8bikeriders.com/forums/atta ... 1447714454

The bike isn't going anywhere, it is all I have from my father. I documented much of my story on "the other site" but this site has had more recent activity and thought it would be a good place to try to find a service location.

I'll keep spending money on the bike, I won't ride it nearly enough to justify, but I could park this thing in my livingroom if I had to.

If that link doesn't work, I've also attached it. If you follow that link, you'll be able to see my gallery(ies) and see many more pics of the bike.
Attachments
TankBottom.jpg
JAT

Post by JAT »

Call Dick Briggs at Behind Bars Motorcycle Company, Ballston Spa, NY. He does a lot of custom work. He also does a lot of insurance jobs and knows how to deal with insurance companies.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Thanks man, will call Monday morning.
JAT

Post by JAT »

Dick Briggs says he can help you. 518-884-9591
Jack

Post by Jack »

Awesome!
I’ve been swamped building my garage, bike was out of sight out of mind. Thanks!
Jack

Post by Jack »

Spoke with Dick on the phone this morning. I think I found my guy - Thanks a ton JAT!

Hard to explain how I got him to him from a reference, but we got there!