Quadraflush

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Quadraflush

Post by Carl La Fong »

As some of you know, I've had numerous problems with my QJet. I have had it rebuilt 3 times since I've owned the bike. The first was right after I got it to cure the flooding and hard start issues. It worked......for a while. Then it began running, generally, lousy, so off it came again and went to a highly rated guy here in SoCal. It was OK, but it still didn't seem right. After the last incident with the fire and the major leakage, I finally relented and shipped it to Carb Mike. After a month, I got it back and this is what happened
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO7Tujja7To
I fiddled with it, removed the top 4 or 5 times, trying to find out what the hell was going on. Obviously a problem with the needle and seat, but what??? N/S are fine, looks good, brand new, seals just fine blowing through the inlet, nothing sticking, everything checks out. Yet, every time I reassemble it, it's like watching the video all over again. Gas spewing out, everywhere. Please don't see this as a dig at Mike. He has been in touch with me and we're trying to get to the bottom of it. But, as I told him, I don't think I can trust this carburetor any more. If it starts dumping fuel, like in the video, it'll hydrolock and probably kill my engine. This will not be good. I can't spend another dime on this carb. I have almost $800 invested in it. I would have been better off investing the money in Enron and buying a Holley
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
mmaupin

Re: Quadraflush

Post by mmaupin »

That is really weird.

Do you have the proper fuel pump? Enough excess pressure to unseat the float/needle valve?
Regards,

Mark

Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

After much head scratching and taking the carb apart 5 or 6 times, I believe I have found the problem. The float pivot pin is a "U" shaped piece of wire. One leg of the "U" is the actual pivot and the other leg fits tight against the top of the carb. I spread the legs a bit and it no longer leaks. As it was, the float was raising up, at the pivot, perhaps 1/32". This was enough to lift the float needle off of the seat. I had assumed that the plastic filler block held the pivot in place, but we all know about assuming. Right now, the bike is on the charger. We just returned from a 3000 mile jaunt to Texas, New Mexico and Arizona. The battery was a bit flat when we left and didn't have enough grunt to light it off today.
Again, let me state that I believe Mike did a good job and I expect it to run well, later today. I think I'll ride around with the main tank off until I'm pretty sure all is well.

Update;
I went down to the shop and switched it on. No leak. Hit the button and it fired immediately. It idles a tad fast and the screw is all the way out, but it is tolerable. I'll check tomorrow to see if there is something that I can bend or adjust to bring the idle down a few rpm. It responds to throttle instantly. I think I'm gonna be OK. I had to drive to the gas station and fill a can. Tomorrow I'll hot lap it around the block two or twelve times to be sure it isn't going to burst into flames.......again
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

John, how did you notice what was wrong? So glad its working for you now. Any news on why the idle is fast yet?

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
Paul H

Post by Paul H »

Does your gas cable have just little slack in it???

Just a quick thought from my old gray matter
and saw dust of a brain.

Paul H
Orlando606VetteTrike

Post by Orlando606VetteTrike »

Nice find John. Glad you found this problem.
2008 606 Corvette Trike
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

My elation was short lived. I gassed it up and took a short ride to the end of my block. The bike is nearly unrideable. It idles at about 1500 (I don't have a tach), the exhaust burns your eyes and lungs so bad that I can't stand next to it for more than 30/45 seconds. I have looked for a problem but can't find anything wrong. I sprayed ether all around the carb, looking for vacuum leaks. Nothing. I turned the distributor to drop the idle down to an acceptable speed, but it craps out and stalls. I haven't put a timing light on it, but I did set it a few months ago and it was right on spec. I am beyond discouraged and pissed off. I am seriously thinking of selling the bike and hanging it up for good. I'm not spending one more cent on this fucking carburetor or this bike. I'm beat into the ground
Jack

Post by Jack »

I've been pretty happy with my MSD Atomic... I bought it to solve a carb issue... that wasn't a carb issue at all. So, I still have ignition problems, but I have a fancy EFI system.
1998 Wild One Custom - Homebuilt
V8Bikers
Site Admin

Post by V8Bikers »

I understand you don't want to spend anymore money on it but is there a chance you can source a known working carb as a temp loaner to check it?

DeLand, FL.

"This is just one of the many reasons I love V8Bikers; able to openly display T&A, curse, say what you will;
able to be a fucking man here. Thanks Bill" - Grand Canard
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

I had very similar issues with three different carbs ... All Quadrabogs. After pissing over $1500 away in carbs and rebuilds and shipping, I Put a 650 Quick Fuel on it and have had nothing but smiles for miles. Bike starts instantly with no loud bang, idles without assistance in under 30 seconds and it responsive each and every time. Fuel mileage went from 9 - 14mpg to 20 - 22mpg consistently. A man of your knowledge and talent could probably get even better results.
You sell the bike like it is now and you will lose a pocket full of cash.
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
Jack

Post by Jack »

And while I'm thinking about it... the auto-parts store wouldn't allow a return if I ran fuel through the carb, which was fine because I was dry fitting them to see if they fit under the frame and between the tanks.
BUT - a performance shop may have a Holley or an Edelbrock sitting on the shelf they would let you try, then they could sell it to you.
1998 Wild One Custom - Homebuilt
SRF
Tech Advisorator

Post by SRF »

Last edited by SRF on Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

^^^^^Wrong thread^^^^^
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Carl La Fong wrote:^^^^^Wrong thread^^^^^
He needs to not drink when following threads...lol

Lafong...this can't be rocket science in what is wrong with the carb...do you not have a good carb shop there??

Take the tank off...run it over to them on a gallon container of gas and let them check it while on the bike??
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
Orlando606VetteTrike

Post by Orlando606VetteTrike »

John sorry to hear of your dilemma. I too like Petite have discarded the Quadrajet. I am using a BLP 650 mechanical secondary, and would never go back to vacuum. I love the ability to control my secondaries. I get about 13 mpg on the big block.
2008 606 Corvette Trike