Avon vs. Metzler

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Harris

Avon vs. Metzler

Post by Harris »

Im not sure If I should be disappointed or not. I put 4800 miles on a brand new Avon and its worn out. :frustrated: Its a 300 on the rear and I don't do burnouts. WTF?? Is this normal?? I talked to a mechanic at a local bike shop I buy stuff from. He recommended a Metzler. he said the rubber is a little harder on the Metzler and it wears better. Naturally, (if thats true) the traction won't be as good, right? I understand tradeoffs, but am not into experimenting with rear tires being what they cost. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Harris
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Re: Avon vs. Metzler

Post by CanuckHoss »

Friend and customer here was getting maybe 6,ooo miles if he stretched it to the limit. He got tired of that and converted to the stock 230 setup..he will see 15,000 miles from it...he loves it but it is not for everyone.

From what I remember over the years 4,000 to 6,000 is the average for the 300's
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

I was told to expect 3 - 4000 miles out of the 300 series rear tire. I didn't know Metzler offered one that would fit. If so, That will be my replacement tire.
As far as harder compound meaning less wear, Not necessarily. Metzler tires tend to wear wonderfully and I would be shocked if it didn't outperform the Avon by a wide margin. Avon is not a company I respect or endorse so I am admittedly biased
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

I'm on my 4th 280-18 Metzler on my SB and typically only get about 4000 miles on them . The are not really worn out but the wear pattern is odd . Appears like the center section is humped up about 6" wide in the center and the outside areas are not warn that much but lower than the center section .I run 45 lbs. The past few years I typically only put about 4000 miles on a year so it's a new tire every winter . Oh well , what's $300.00 a year for this much fun .
V-MAN

Post by V-MAN »

I ran a couple Metz 280 on my BH before the new motor. I remember the one tire was replaced just under 2,500 miles the other was around 4,000. The 4K was really babied ... all the wide tires are thin from my experience. After the new engine I ran a car tire because traction was an issue. I'm not a Metz fan on any of my bikes ...
IF YOU TELL THE TRUTH YOU DON'T HAVE TO REMEMBER ANYTHING

hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

I'd try another brand 280-18 if there was one available.
johnny redneck

Post by johnny redneck »

I Have had a Metzler and a Avon 300 on my 09 LS3 Standard. The Metzler lasted 3,780 miles and is bald on the left side of the tire because of the crown in the road. The rest of the tire has about 2,000 miles left on it. The good thing is there is no cupping, its smooth all the way across. The Avon tire I got 4,938 miles with the same ware pattern the left side was worn out and the center and right side had about 2,000 miles left. But the tire was cupped all over the place like a tire that is out of balance. The Same thing use to happen with the 230 original tire, except I got 14,000 miles out of the Avon tire, but they cupped. I felt no difference in the performance between the two tires.
John