BH trans rumors

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
V8Bikers
Site Admin

BH trans rumors

Post by V8Bikers »

I see SQ4MN posted that Boss Hoss has a new tranny :goodidea: in the works by Winter Engineering?? SQ4MN or anyone else, can you elaborate?

DeLand, FL.

"This is just one of the many reasons I love V8Bikers; able to openly display T&A, curse, say what you will;
able to be a fucking man here. Thanks Bill" - Grand Canard
SQ4MN

Re: BH trans rumors

Post by SQ4MN »

I'm not sure whats up but I did see a picture of it and its real. I heard some things about it but second hand. Winters is open tomorrow and someone could call them and get some info right from them instead of a rumor from me. It might be a good thing for Boss Hoss guys. Winters Performance is a major manufacturerof quality parts thats been in business for years. Go to google and look up Winters Performance and check out their catalog. You will still have to get your food processors from Nesco.
Last edited by SQ4MN on Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
Buck
$ite $upporter

Post by Buck »

SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

A little more of the rumor that could be real or not is that this trans will be available to anyone direct from Winters which might make the price much more reasonable.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
V8Bikers
Site Admin

Post by V8Bikers »

I will call tomorrow but hoping it is a direct bolt in.

DeLand, FL.

"This is just one of the many reasons I love V8Bikers; able to openly display T&A, curse, say what you will;
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

photo 2.JPG
Transmission1.jpg
Diablo.Transmission.jpg

HERE ARE SOME PICTURES
Last edited by SQ4MN on Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
randy burkey

Post by randy burkey »

Squirm, Thanks for the info. I never heard of this before. The trans sure looks good (but then a new nesco looks good on a work bench too) Do you know if it's a 5 or 6 speed? I would sure like to get 50 mpg from my big block! Can't wait for more info! :rofl:
phpBB [video]
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

Its a two speed but second gear is direct not an overdrive like the Nesco. It has a six pin planetary gear which is stronger. The picture of it in a Boss Hoss frame shows that it fits. I don't know what it costs.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

WOW- this seems like really BIG news for Boss Hoss! I wonder why it hasn't been announced yet or at least talked about. :hmmmm:
Great photos SQ4MN! Thanks! Can't wait to hear about a first ride report!

Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

I never thought I'd see it. Sounds good. If it is not a proprietary trans and anyone can buy one, I see a lot more homebuilts. It might also be what Sabertooth needs to stay alive. I think we'll all be watching this very closely
BTW Dave,nice move to get others to come over here to have a look. Maybe a few will stay
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

Boss Hoss has nothing to do with this is why you haven't heard from them. I thought you'd like the site thing LaFong, I too hope it will help this unmoderated site. There is much more to this story that will come out in time. It might or might not be so good for BH, Nesco or the dealers but for sure it will be good for lots of riders.
Last edited by SQ4MN on Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
Clint44

Post by Clint44 »

Those photos are from the big PRI show. Wow,that is big news,if true,and the photos don't lie.
Clint & Sherry
2006 Boss Hoss 57 trike (sold)
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

SQ4MN wrote:Boss Hoss has nothing to do with this is why you haven't heard from them. I thought you'd like the site thing LaFong, I too hope it will help this unmoderated site. There is much more to this story that will come out in time. It might or might not be so good for BH, Nesco or the dealers but for sure it will be good for lots of riders.

BIG NEWS for sure no matter how you look at it..should be an interesting follow...

I have my guess about it.....
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
Ric

Post by Ric »

2nd gear as a direct drive… I wonder how that will translate to engine RPM's at 70 or 80 mph? At least with the goofy Nesco's over-drive, the RPM's on my 06' big block are about 2300 rpms doing 80.

Like others mentioned… I'll keep my finger on the pulse of this new intel!

"Keep the magic alive!" He said.

Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, Canada
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

Ric, a larger drive sprocket or smaller rear sprocket could keep it at the same rpm although a possible belt change may be required. After tomorrow some more will be learned by those that call and then post.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

When I switched to the Ranger, I went to a larger front pulley. I don't have a tach, but it works out to 1800 RPMs at 65
Ric

Post by Ric »

John, did you have to farm out for a new drive belt? Or was the changes in your swing arm you've made, suited for the stock belt?

"Keep the magic alive!" He said.

Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, Canada
V8Bikers
Site Admin

Post by V8Bikers »

I have a call into Winters, will report when I hear back from them.

DeLand, FL.

Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

Ric wrote:John, did you have to farm out for a new drive belt? Or was the changes in your swing arm you've made, suited for the stock belt?
I found a Gates GT Carbon belt (the blue one) that fit. It only came in 90 mm width, so I had to bandsaw it in half, so I have a spare belt
V8Bikers
Site Admin

Post by V8Bikers »

Update,
I spoke with Winters Performance who directed me to Tom from Mountain Boss Hoss. I had a nice conversation with Tom and was given permission to let you know that this 2 speed transmission is in the works and hopefully will be tested in Jan/Feb time frame on a Boss Hoss. If all goes well Tom will have the tranny in a bike at the Daytona Bike Week Rally in March 2014. It will be a direct replacement for the Nesco without any modifications needed, and Mountain will be the exclusive dealer. This is great news!! :thumbup:

DeLand, FL.

Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

Hmmmm, I'm wondering if Mountain is going from dealer to manufacturer. The transmission is the stumbling block if you want to build a two wheeled V8 bike. If this is a Mountain deal and not something from BH, which it seems it's not, they might be gearing up for something. All they need is a frame, which is no big deal in comparison to a trans. I think there is more to the story and I think BH is not a part of it. I know that BH is not thrilled about dealers doing trans swaps and I think they have been clear to their dealers that it is a no no. If Mountain is going to offer this trans, as a replacement for the Nesco, then they risk losing their dealership. So, what are their options? Building their own Mountain V8 bike.
We'll see
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

This looks like great news alright, in the UK we can get the zz4 sorted but any trans issues I have to split my frame and pay heavy haulage to Germany for Andy to fix/upgrade and that's a very big bunch of Euros. :cry:

I am guessing any problems arise and I'm buying from MBH. Sounds like a clever business move on their part. I can see great demand for replacements, if only for peace of mind. 2 real gears! And as long as you're not stupid it could support a whole new saying: Play in 1st, play in 2nd.

Yes Carl, that is a keenly observed scenario - maybe MBH are thinking just that, "Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door"
:england:
Gordon from England
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

WOW....can't wait to sit and BS with Tom in Daytona...
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
SQ4MN

Re: BH Trans Rumors

Post by SQ4MN »

My guess is being that its built by a company that specializes in gear products it will be a good one. The other reason why I was excited when I learned about this was I ASSUMED it would cost less, maybe like 3000 dollars. If it costs more than a Nesco than some of my excitement will be tempered. The transmissions that Tom Chadwell rebuilt are still together without problems. If the new one costs significantly more than rebuilding the old Nesco than it might not be such a godsend. If Mountain has the exclusive rights to it than it seems to me we might be in the same boat as Boss Hoss having the exclusive rights to the Nesco. If Mountain sells it at a reasonable price then it will be great for us, the riders. If its gonna be another six or ten thousand dollar trans then we're right back where we started from. Mountain normally sells high dollar but quality bikes. I expect that the tranny if its a quality product will also cost more than I had hoped for when I thought it was going to be available to anybody directly thru the manufacturer. Stan doesn't even sell his transmissions, whats to say Mountain will. Maybe Mountain will start building their own bikes, they already build all the bodywork. A frame is all they're lacking. Lots of questions still, maybe some of you guys that know Tom at Mountain already know the answers to.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
petitemoose

Re: BH Trans Rumors

Post by petitemoose »

SQ4MN wrote:My guess is being that its built by a company that specializes in gear products it will be a good one. The other reason why I was excited when I learned about this was I ASSUMED it would cost less, maybe like 3000 dollars. If it costs more than a Nesco than some of my excitement will be tempered. The transmissions that Tom Chadwell rebuilt are still together without problems. If the new one costs significantly more than rebuilding the old Nesco than it might not be such a godsend. If Mountain has the exclusive rights to it than it seems to me we might be in the same boat as Boss Hoss having the exclusive rights to the Nesco. If Mountain sells it at a reasonable price then it will be great for us, the riders. If its gonna be another six or ten thousand dollar trans then we're right back where we started from. Mountain normally sells high dollar but quality bikes. I expect that the tranny if its a quality product will also cost more than I had hoped for when I thought it was going to be available to anybody directly thru the manufacturer. Stan doesn't even sell his transmissions, whats to say Mountain will. Maybe Mountain will start building their own bikes, they already build all the bodywork. A frame is all they're lacking. Lots of questions still, maybe some of you guys that know Tom at Mountain already know the answers to.
My thoughts exactly. IMO Mountain seems to charge a LOT more than anybody else for comparable items. If by some miraculous chance they price it less than the factory Nesco unit, then I can see them selling about 4 times as many as if they stick to their normal outrageous pricing structure. That ,of course would actually bring in more money and they would look a lot better to the Manufacturer of the tranny and insure they retain the exclusive rights.
Time will tell ... Most new releases have bugs and it is up to the manufacturer on how well the bugs are fixed and the existing customers cared for.
My scoot is showing no signs of needing help but it would be nice to have options if / when it does ;)
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...