Front Motor Mounts..Enough!

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
zenbiker

Front Motor Mounts..Enough!

Post by zenbiker »

After screwing around with the front motor mounts on my SB stroker for 10 years, even having Jeff Hemperly make heavy SS items...I've had enough. No matter what I've done always problems after a while.
The original studs broke and bent twice and the aluminum brackets cracked. I replaced the studs with ALLEN bolts and the mounts with steel. After a while, the bolts loosened and the manifold leaked...three separate times. The setup is just plain stupid. Engine vibration just has to loosen them over time producing manifold leakage.
I'm getting rid of them now and having Jeff fabricate a mount for the right side to bolt the head directly to the frame.
The left side seems almost impossible because of the minuscule clearance there but Jeff and I agree that one side should be enough to stop the motor from twisting..
Any thoughts?
Tom

Re: Front Motor Mounts..Enough!

Post by Tom »

We did Giancarlo`s old bike like that and were able to put a mount on both sides to the front of the head. Adrian may have pictures.
zenbiker

Post by zenbiker »

Tom
I thought I had pics of the setup but can't find them.
Anyone help?
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

I've often wondered about the necessity for upper mounts. The engine doesn't need them when it's in a car. Are the frames not stiff enough? Does the V-8 Chopper have upper mounts?
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
zenbiker

Post by zenbiker »

I'm told the V8 choppers hve a plate bolted to the rear of the heads to the frame. I don't know the configuration.
I'm also not sure if they are actually needed.
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

I'm going to fabricate a set of head to frame motor mounts for my SB also but I was just waiting until I had the radiator off for some reason . Back a few years ago when I installed a cam and roller rockers in my engine I rearranged the stock motor mounting nut and washer set up and it seems to be fine so far but still a mickey mouse set up .

Jack
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

If I remember right, a member of the .com site posted some pics of a frame motor mount (left and right site) a while ago....his name was "Finman" or something like that....

(15 minutes later)..... I found the pics!
http://www.mybikeforums.com/forums/show ... ght=finman

Olaf
zenbiker

Post by zenbiker »

Here are pics of Jeff's work on my front motor mounts. as always, strong, solid and bullet proof. No more leaking intake manifolds. They will be polished when done.