Tear Down

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
hogv8

Re: Tear Down

Post by hogv8 »

John , I like the fuel shut off solenoid but is there a reason why you installed it close to the carb as compared to somewhere near the gas tank petcock . I have plenty of room to install one inline after the fuel petcock between the carb and the distributor unless there's a good reason not to .

Thanks , Jack
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

I have a reserve tank, so I figured it needs to be in the line from the pump to the carb. Thinking back, it only needs to be in the line from the main tank since the reserve tank can't gravity feed. After today's usual failure, I will probably plumb it in as you described. On to today's fiasco. I thought I,d take a nice little ride since the 110 degree weather is over, for now. I got to the end of the block and again, and for the umteenth time, it started running like crap. Back to the shop. Again, it is barely idling, belching black smoke all over the place. I don't need to go into how many carburetor rebuilds, how many carburetors, how many fuel pumps I've gone through. I have spent months and months and thousands of dollars trying to get this POS to run for longer than 1/2 mile from the house. Checking the pressure gauge, I see that my brand new fuel pump is putting out about 15 PSI. Too much, according to Holley. So, now I have to either get another pump (number 4) or add a regulator which makes more sense. I do have one of those little square pumps which I will try tomorrow to see if too much pressure is the problem. If that solves the issue, then I'll get a regulator. I gotta tell you, the fun is over. This has become such a PITA that I am thinking of quitting. It has been almost a year since I have ridden this thing farther than to the end of my block.
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

Most parts houses sell the small square pumps I think you are referring to. Some put out 5 - 7 psi ( What we need ) and others put out 15+. I hope yours is the lower :)
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
Puff

Post by Puff »

I have some extra(NEW) E8012S's

Would you like me to send one or two to you?

I bought like 2 dozen of them.
They are what came on my 2001 when it was new.
5 to 7 psi

Lemme know.......

Bill
Bill Van Sant

hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

I run a Holley Red as my main fuel pump but I also have a small NAPA fuel pump plumbed into my system via Y fittings and a switch where if my Holley pump fails I can simply switch over to the NAPA pump to keep me going . I also have a separate fuel pressure gage for each pump so I can see what's happening. I've switched from one pump to the other going down the road and it works great .
Nothing worse than a fuel pump failure on the road or especially in traffic .
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

Puff wrote:I have some extra(NEW) E8012S's

Would you like me to send one or two to you?

I bought like 2 dozen of them.
They are what came on my 2001 when it was new.
5 to 7 psi

Lemme know.......

Bill
That would be swell. :yourock: I'll PM my info to you. I gotta ask though........you bought 2 dozen of them?!?!?! There has to be a back story
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

So.....anyhoo...I Mickey Moused the little Purolator pump on this morning. According to specs, it puts out around 4 PSI. A hot lap to the end of the block (I've worn a groove in the road by now) was without drama. Ran almost perfect down and back. I think I still have to tinker with the timing a bit, but this has promise. The lovely and desirable Lady LaFong has an appointment this afternoon so I can't do anymore riding without my support team ready to pick my sorry ass up when the bike craps out. I have a 200 mile ride coming up soon and I want to be sure, as I can, that I won't be stranded somewhere north of Mojave
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Carl La Fong wrote:
20170905_162917.jpg
The bike has been together for a week, or so. Everything seems good, so far. I stripped off all of the old black paint. Time for a change. It's in primer, right now. I'll get to the paint later this year or early 2018. I decided to redo my fuel lines with AN fittings, like I had before. It took all day to do one line. At the pump outlet, I plumbed in a gauge, then a short line to the filter, then another short line to the electric shut off. In 55 years of riding, I have never gotten into the habit of shutting the gas off, so this will solve that problem. Then another short line to the carb. I had to make an adapter to connect the AN to the carb. Just a flare fitting and a 3/8 pipe fitting, soldered together. Easy peasy. Fired it up and, amazingly, no leaks. I have to order some more braided hose for the tank to pump line so, for now, the auto parts store rubber hose will do
John , I plan on installing a fuel shut off valve like you did . I tried to blow up your picture for a part # but not sure . Did you used a AFC - 123 valve ?

Thanks , Jack
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

It's an AFC 121.
I went ahead and moved it to the main tank line. Gets it out of the hot engine valley and is more accessible if I have a problem down the road
Puff

Post by Puff »

La Fong,

My fuel pump was going out about once
each summer. It is HOT here !
So I saw them on sale at on Summit's
website for dirt-cheap. I figured I would
go through one per year, so I ordered
2 dozen. I should be good for a couple
of decades !
Since then, I have figured out how to
get fresh air to the fuel pump area under
the seat. Working better than before.
So, I will get to the post office soon.....
:ridding:
Bill Van Sant

Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

Sounds like me and Costco lemon ginger sesame salad dressing. It's only available for a month or so each year, so I get a case of it every year. Can't be too careful
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Carl La Fong wrote:It's an AFC 121.
I went ahead and moved it to the main tank line. Gets it out of the hot engine valley and is more accessible if I have a problem down the road
Thanks John , I see them on ebay .
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Installed the fuel shut off solenoid in the fuel line between the carb and the distributor . Seems to work great . Now to remove the carb inlet filter with the little check valve .
Puff

Post by Puff »

La Fong,

I put one fuel pump in the mail today.
It should get to you by Thursday(21Sept2017).
I am still looking for the box with the 2 dozen
other new fuel pumps.
My wife has a bad habit of "moving" my stuff,
and NEVER telling me where she put things.
I will find the rest of the pumps.... SOMEday !
Lemme know when it gets to you.

Puff
Bill Van Sant

Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

Thanks, Bill. I'll keep an eye out for it