Forking Seal Leak

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
gaston 2005 502
Location: South Texas & Working Around the World, Across The Nation And Up Your Street

Forking Seal Leak

Post by gaston 2005 502 »

Bike is apart and after my return from luxurious West Africa :lol: :shock: , i have noticed a forking oil leak below my right fork. So just a little background, during my trans pull i removed the forks, hung them up and drained them over night. reinstalled with 750ml 15 weight fork oil. rode the bike maybe 200 miles. it has been sitting for 5 weeks now.

So the question is for those that have done this, what special tool do i need to disassemble the forks to replace this seal? where do you get the special tool or is it a pain to make or easy to make?
what all parts do i need to order while i am there? Just the fork seals or what?

Experience in this and advice forwarded is appreciated.

Darryl
Darryl Campbell
SRF
Tech Advisorator

Re: Forking Seal Leak

Post by SRF »

Darryl, it depends how far you want to go with the repair. The factory sells a kit that includes bushings and seals. The bushing in the tubes I found hard to drive out. The main thing that I bought special was a fixture to hold the fork tube while I was working on it. Just replacing seals and not the bushings would be easier if you feel that is all you need. Bushing and seal driver's would be other tools I can think of that you would need. Let me know if you need more information, but hard to get too detailed as it has been a few month and I have only done it once.

Shane
SRF
Tech Advisorator

Post by SRF »

Darryl could it be just a loose lower fork tube? Several including me have had the lower tube unthread slightly then leak appearing to be a fork seal. As I remember it the first time I changed my fluid that happened on the left side. I ordered seals and when I went to replace them found the tube loose tightened it and saved the seal. Was a year or 2 later when I needed the seals.

Shane
gaston 2005 502
Location: South Texas & Working Around the World, Across The Nation And Up Your Street

Shane,
i appreciate the info. i am unsure of where it is leaking exactly. so the lower screws into the upper? so i can turn the lower to screw it into the upper? left or right or what?

Darryl
Darryl Campbell
SRF
Tech Advisorator

Post by SRF »

gaston 2005 502 wrote:Shane,
i appreciate the info. i am unsure of where it is leaking exactly. so the lower screws into the upper? so i can turn the lower to screw it into the upper? left or right or what?

Darryl
The lower section of the fork tube threads into the upper. The lower and upper I am talking about are both the smaller tube that attach to the axle and attach to the fender. The threads are normal clockwise threads. You may be able to check just by removing the fender. The 2 sections thread together just below the fender maybe 2 inches. There is an o-ring sealing it there and should be loctite on the threads keeping it from coming loose. I didn't realize mine was loose until I had the fork tube off the bike and on the bench ready to disassemble. The lower section unthreaded very easily so I replaced the o-ring(doubt I needed to but had 1) added blue loctite and tightened it up.

Shane
gaston 2005 502

Shane,

just checked and it is not the lower part that is leaking. the leak is from the seal or wiper above the fender support. so i will be pursuing parts and tool ordering during my hitch in korea and hopefully having everything for repair when i get back. i would think i will goa ahead and order a complete rebuild kit as since i am already there it might as well be done right. So i'll need the rebuild kit, and what else?

info and advice is appreciated.

Darryl
Darryl Campbell
Harold Blocker
Outdrank the Perverator

Post by Harold Blocker »

Darryl.

I had Boss Hoss send both my fork legs back to the manufacturer. They rebuilt both legs, new bushings, reamed them and installed new seals for $170 plus shipping. The Boss Hoss factory said that they could not do it that cheap. For that price, I would not touch them myself.
Harold Blocker
Southeast Missouri
hblocker@clgw.net
ImageImage
gaston 2005 502

Harold,

thanks for the info. How long did their service take not counting shipping? so you had to go through Boss Hoss?

Darryl
Darryl Campbell
Harold Blocker
Outdrank the Perverator

Post by Harold Blocker »

Darryl,

I don't know if you "have" to go through the factory, but I took it back to the factory to get it fixed. The factory was covered up at the time and Geno chose to send it back to the manufacturer. I assume that we have that option. I will find out for you. Geno said that the labor would be more for the factory to do it plus they didn't have all the "special" tools that the producer had. It was not gone very long at all. They even Fedexed them back as I had a rally coming up!

Inserting bushings in the legs and reaming them to size can be a real problem without the necessary special tools.
Harold Blocker
Southeast Missouri
hblocker@clgw.net
ImageImage
gaston 2005 502

Harold,

i appreciate this info. i am pulling my forks today to get sent off this next week. i am also gonna pull my rear shocks and send to Aldan for rebuild,,, might as well as the bike is down and i will be gone for work and all will be done and here when i get back.

W1ldman,

i know what the fork your talking about.

Darryl
Darryl Campbell
gaston 2005 502

Dang,,that must be some forking cold air in that car,,,, :shock: :roll: :lol:

must be brothers from different mothers W1ldman

Darryl
Darryl Campbell
Harold Blocker
Outdrank the Perverator

Post by Harold Blocker »

Darryl,

Read ALL of the following thread. At the end, Aldo gives some advice and addresses of potential help sites.

http://www.mybikeforums.com/forums/show ... hp?t=14225

It also looks like the rebuild price has increased, but what hasn't?
Harold Blocker
Southeast Missouri
hblocker@clgw.net
ImageImage
hosszz4

Post by hosszz4 »

I had mine redone by http://www.aftershocks-suspension.com in Livermore, California. I supplied the $100 rebuild kit. Between shipping etc (estimate $128 for shipping there and back) and around $200-$400 for repair.

Harold's option was to send it to

http://www.bikebuildersbible.com/ in Newport Beach, California and ask TED for a work order number. They are the service arm for American Suspension I believe. Around $250 for a complete rebuild. I havent actually used them...I wanted to break in a new guy for my area and be able to see the white of his eyes....

I like his style and what he did for me. But he is a motorcycle racer and away from the shop on a regular basis, so cant guarantee when he'll get the job done. My last encounter was a 14 day turnaround and I dropped it off and picked it up and supplied the rebuild kit. He is a Triumph, BMW, Ducati service center, but trainied with American Suspension a few years back.

Another option is to call Marv for a special price on a new set of forks. If you sweet talk him, he may still have a new set of forks available for under a grand. Be nice to him though and dont tell him I sent ya! :mrgreen: A good way to start the conversation may be... Marv, ole pal, a birdie whispered in my ear that you might want to part with a new set of forks for under a grand...how 'bout it?" :mrgreen:

Cheers
Aldo
Voices in my head this week...Hendrix...Voodoo CHile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoAXW30m ... re=related
40 years later..I still get goose bumps listening to this!!

gaston 2005 502

Well,, got pulled from Korea to go back to U.S. to get visa to go to china. got home thursday night and friday mailed my forks off to Aldo's bud in Livermore for rebuild. also spoke with tom last week and he stated for the 502 the 400 pound springs are the perfect fit for the aldan shocks and 502 bikes so i sent my rear shocks off to Aldan for new springs and to have em gone through. found out i go to shanghai wednesdayso when i get back in late august now all my shit should be in my sock so i can get on the road and i can't friggin wait. Hardley's riding is fun, but it's no Hoss.

thanks to all for the advice and info & i will keep you updated..

Darryl
Darryl Campbell