Fuel Shut-Off Safety Switch :-(((

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
KrautV8

Fuel Shut-Off Safety Switch :-(((

Post by KrautV8 »

The last distributor equipped bikes (06,07) are equipped with a Fuel Shut-Off Safety switch which ensures that the fuel pump is not working if there's not an oil pressure reading of at least 25psi.

After a week in the garage, the oil pressure is zero and for whatever reason my fuel bowl is dry like the Mojave desert. When I then try to start the bike, I have to crank the engine by the starter alone for minutes to reach the nessecary 25psi of oil pressure....then the fuel pump takes up it's work, and then the engine starts immediatly....that's one pain in the ass.

There are three wires connected to the shut off switch:

#58 (Starter)
#59 (Fuel Pump)
#60 (Ignition)

What and how do I have to bridge the three wires to be able to eleminate this crappy, cheap, sheet metal, safety switch?

Thanks for helping,
Olaf
AR

Re: Fuel Shut-Off Safety Switch :-(((

Post by AR »

I might be missing something here Olaf but arent you trying to fix the wrong problem...like why is your fuel bowl dry as the desert as you say?? I'm sure my bike doesnt rely on the fuel pump to supply before starting up.
:?:
Puff

Post by Puff »

Hallo Olaf,

I just spoke with Andy Gibson at the factory.
Es ist Freitag abend halb zehn uhr.
He said that if you splice in a toggle switch that connects
# 59 and # 60, it would do what you need it to do.
He suggested using a toggle switch with a light on it,
so you would know if it is on or not.
Before turning the ignition switch on, turn the toggle switch "on",
then turn your ignition switch on, and start your bike.
Then turn the lighted toggle switch off, and you are back to
the original stock settings.
Verstehen Sie mich?
I will show him your message on Monday afternoon to double-check with him.

Puff
Bill Van Sant

KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

@Aussiefahrt: you are totally right, I'm currently fixing the wrong problem. I lowered the fuel bowl level, changed neadle and seat, but the fuel bowl still drys out after a while. Most likely it drains thru the 4 aluminum plugs at the bottom of the fuel bowl. The next time I have the carb apart I will epoxy the plugs. But in the meantime a bidge would help. I don't think I need this safety switch, and it's an additional potentially source of problems, which may left me stranded somewhere, someday - so I would like to throw it out in any case. ´

@Bill: Thanks for asking in the factory, Bill. Yes, I can bridge 59 and 60 to make the fuel pump working all the time. But what for is the wire #58 (starter)? What do I have to do with this wire? I would like to remove the switch at all, I don't want to leave it in the circuit.

Thanks, Olaf
Puff

Post by Puff »

Olaf,

I will ask Andy Gibson your question
about # 58 wire(starter) on Monday,
and will get back to you.

Bill
Bill Van Sant

SRF
Tech Advisorator

Post by SRF »

Olaf I have not seen this setup on a Boss Hoss so I am just guessing. I believe the starter wire would be going to the S terminal of the starter and should cause this relay to energize the fuel pump when the engine is cranking. You can put a test light on that terminal to see if it is only energized when cranking.
Or look at the started and see if you can see the same circuit labled on the S terminal (small terminal).

Shane
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

SRF wrote:Olaf I have not seen this setup on a Boss Hoss so I am just guessing. I believe the starter wire would be going to the S terminal of the starter and should cause this relay to energize the fuel pump when the engine is cranking. You can put a test light on that terminal to see if it is only energized when cranking.
Or look at the started and see if you can see the same circuit labled on the S terminal (small terminal).

Shane
Shane, I've just been in the garage. There is no wire #58 at the starter relay...there is one with number 87, but no #58...wish my electrical skills would be better than they are :-(

Olaf
SRF
Tech Advisorator

Post by SRF »

KrautV8 wrote:
SRF wrote:Olaf I have not seen this setup on a Boss Hoss so I am just guessing. I believe the starter wire would be going to the S terminal of the starter and should cause this relay to energize the fuel pump when the engine is cranking. You can put a test light on that terminal to see if it is only energized when cranking.

Shane
Shane, I've just been in the garage. There is no wire #58 at the starter relay...there is one with number 87, but no #58...wish my electrical skills would be better than they are :-(

Olaf
It could be attached at the starter solenoid or relay either way as long as it is on that circuit would have the same function. Do you have a wiring diagram that shows this circuit?

Shane
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Olaf , of course my bike is a 2000 but the #87 wire from the starter relay goes directly to the starter Solenoid , # 86 wire to the ignition switch , # 85 goes to the reverse solenoid and to the reverse button on the handle bars and # 30 goes to the fusebox .

Jack
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

I found it! I found it!
Jack, you are right, #87 goes from the starter relay to the starter solenoid. There are 5 wires connected to the starter relay in all. The one, connected in the center of the relay is the wire number 58!! Shane, is the terminal in the center of the relay the terminal you called "S-Terminal"? And what do I have to do with it now?

Damn, I feel like a half-time, floor sweeping employee of a hair salon when it comes to electric related questions...hahahahha....oh man :-)

Olaf
Puff

Post by Puff »

So Olaf,

Would sweeping hair part-time in a hair
salon be a bad thing?? :?

Puff
Bill Van Sant

Puff

Post by Puff »

Olaf,

Andy Gibson said:
"Do NOT do away with the # 58 wire."

Puff
Bill Van Sant

SRF
Tech Advisorator

Post by SRF »

KrautV8 wrote:I found it! I found it!
Jack, you are right, #87 goes from the starter relay to the starter solenoid. There are 5 wires connected to the starter relay in all. The one, connected in the center of the relay is the wire number 58!! Shane, is the terminal in the center of the relay the terminal you called "S-Terminal"? And what do I have to do with it now?

Damn, I feel like a half-time, floor sweeping employee of a hair salon when it comes to electric related questions...hahahahha....oh man :-)

Olaf
The S terminal is the "start terminal" on the starter solenoid, the small terminal which is only energized when pushing the start button.

Shane
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

Puff wrote:So Olaf,

Would sweeping hair part-time in a hair
salon be a bad thing?? :?

Puff
Bill, it's not a bad thing, but at my work people use to say things like this,
if someone does a really stupid thing during machining something:

"Hey,go sweeping hair in a hair salon!"
or:
"You better sell Hamburgers!"
or:
"What's your job? Baker?
or:
"Go, and breed sheep"

Doesn't mean these jobs are bad, but they've nothing to do with metal or technic.

Back to the topic - I shouldn't do away with the #58 wire.....but where do I connect it when I want to throw this rattly switch away? I don't feel a need for it cause I have a gauge for the oil pressure with low pressure warning indicator.

Can I hook all three wires together? Is it as simple like that?

Damn, I should breed sheep...or sweep in a hair salon...or better sell mushy Hamburgers....hahahahaha

Olaf
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Olaf , when I was a young guy going thru my apprenticeship to become a Tool and Die maker my shop Foreman would tell me I should have gotten a job in a grocery store stocking shelves if I were to fuck something up in the shop . Several years later I became his Supervisor and reminded him several times about what he used to tell me if I made a mistake . :D

Jack
Last edited by hogv8 on Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AR

Post by AR »

KrautV8 wrote:Damn, I should breed sheep...
Olaf
I'd like to breed some sheep too!
:D
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

hogv8 wrote:Olaf , when I was a young guy going thru my apprenticeship to become a Tool and Die maker my shop Foreman would tell me I should have gotten a job in a grocery store stocking shelves if I were to fuck something up in the shop . Several years later I became his Supervisor and reminded him several times about what he used to tell me if I made a mistake . :D

Jack

Hahahaha...that's cool. I sure would looove to be the supervisor of my job trainer from the old times. He liked it a lot to tell us 15 years young boys to better look out for jobs like "clover field security" and "train gate keeper" when we made stupid things....hahahaha

Olaf :-)
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

Shane, Bill - thanks for your input.

I have put wire number 59 & 60 together - and eliminated wire number 58 complete, since it's only for energizing the fuel pump while cranking, like Shane assumed.

Threw the switch in the trash can yesterday :-)
Thanks a bunch, guys!

Olaf