Retro-fit of gear indicator?

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
AR

Retro-fit of gear indicator?

Post by AR »

An old digger from the Boss Hoss community downunder is not yet ready to give up his 2 wheeler but is occassionally forgeting to shift back to 1st gear when riding slow or acceleratating. It has already cost him a rebuild so he's looking to retro-fit a gear indicator light of some kind to his 2004 model. He just needs a reminder light or something that lets him know what gear he's in. I told him I have never heard of anyone doing it previously but thought I'd ask here for ideas.

Would a 'jockey shift' make it easier?

Any ideas? :?

Thanks.
hogv8

Re: Retro-fit of gear indicator?

Post by hogv8 »

I'd like to see this myself . Fred Strammer once told me that it can be done but never told me how .

Jack
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

I have a jockey shift on my bike but don't know how that would remind you to shift back into first. I've forgotten a few times as I'm sure most of us have but have never gone WOT from a stop while in OD thank God :shock: .
2009 350/385 MBH bike
SRF
Tech Advisorator

Post by SRF »

#7 converter makes it much easier to realize you are in the wrong gear. The gear indicator uses a C transmission I believe which has the connector on the back to plug in the wires for the gear indicator. I don't know what internally is used and if it could be added.

Shane