HEADLIGHT BRIGHTNESS

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
SQ4MN

HEADLIGHT BRIGHTNESS

Post by SQ4MN »

Tonight I was riding the Boss Hoss and it seemed that the headlight was not as bright as I remember. Last week we rode our Triumph Rocket 3 Touring model all night from Salt Lake City Utah to Las Vegas and the lights were great. It has 3 lights on the front and the Boss Hoss only has one but I remember it being brighter. After I got home I realized that the headlight had been changed when I got in my accident and the new one is different than the old one. Tonight I ordered a "OPT7" headlight bulb assembly that has a built in fan and the powerpack is supposed to fit inside the shell and its just a plug in replacement for my H4 bulb. A friend told me these things are really bright so I'll give it a try. Las Vegas nights are great to ride in so a little upgrade on the headlight is a plus. I'll have it by the weekend and install it and let you guys know if it was worth doing, costs about 75 bucks.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
SQ4MN

Re: HEADLIGHT BRIGHTNESS

Post by SQ4MN »

I installed the OPT7 LED headlight bulb with no problems. When I look into the light its much brighter than an H4 but on the hi way it only seems a little better than the H4, better but not great. I would like a light that throws out a stronger beam farther down the road. This was an improvement but I think there is something better out there still.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
rocketsteve

Post by rocketsteve »

I've has similar thoughts and been looking into mounting a light bar to add a lamp either side of the headlight.

There are two threaded holes at the front of the bottom triple tree, are these for anything special or can they be used for a light bar?
To test a man's character, give him (Hoss) power.
TXscooterguy

Post by TXscooterguy »

I installed this last Spring. Big improvement.

https://www.amazon.com/Truck-Lite-27270 ... B007K8AA7I
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

I just ordered a similar one from OPT7, its a complete light and reflector, about the same price as the TRUCK LITE you show. Hopefully I will be happy with it. I would have bought the one you showed but I am a day late.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
randy burkey

Post by randy burkey »

TXscooterguy wrote:I installed this last Spring. Big improvement.

https://www.amazon.com/Truck-Lite-27270 ... B007K8AA7I
I put the Truck lite in my Boss..Major improvement.. Had it in my old Harley ultra along with their passing lamps, and they beat the shit out of the Harley Daymaker lights on my new Harley!!! Best light on the market !
phpBB [video]
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

Before I left for Denmark, My Headlight Mount Broke. While I was having one made I decided to Replace the TruckLite that I had installed because While it was Brighter than the stock H4 Setup, It wasn't Bright Enough to Actually illuminate the dark roads "At Speed". Quite dangerous actually.
I found this on the Shelf at Boss Hoss of Denmark and brought it home. Glenn told me up front that there was another Brighter headlight, But I did not feel like Spending $500 on a headlight ... Sometimes I am too cheap for my own good LoL. This light is certainly Bright enough for me!! Can't wait to get a ride in at night to see if my initial opinion of it is valid :) The upper and lower row are parking lights. I have them wired to come on with the low beams to give a unique "Look at Me" effect to car drivers that may not otherwise notice me.
Attachments
High Beam
High Beam
Low Beam
Low Beam
Thing of Beauty
Thing of Beauty
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
Ron Radulski

Post by Ron Radulski »

What was the price of that headlight Dennis?
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

Triker wrote:What was the price of that headlight Dennis?
75 Watt LED's $150 They come in Chrome or Black. Glenn is coming over Oct 11 so IF anyone wants one, Speak up Quick so he has time to get it in stock and into his suitcase. Shipping from Daytona is a LOT cheaper than shipping from Denmark ;)
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
JAT

Post by JAT »

JW Speaker LED headlight. Unbelievable improvement.
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

My new OPT7 complete headlight arrived but for some reason does not light. The OPT 7 bulb without the complete reflector works so they are refunding my money. I have now ordered the trucklite assembly and will try that.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

THANK YOU, Texas Scooter Guy and RANDY BURKEY, after the new OPT7 headlight did not turn on I returned it and bought the TRUCKLITE that you guys were happy with and I am now a believer. My Boss Hoss has NEVER had such good light at night as it has now. It is way better than my hopes and expectations, in fact it is amazing. I ordered the one from AMAZON that RANDY has a line to in his post. I think it was about 175 dollars total and is worth every penny. The install is a 10 minute job and a flat and a phillips screwdriver are all the tools needed. Its about midnight here and I just got back from a ride with a giant smile on my face. It lit up both sides of the road and super far in front of me even on low beam, high beam is unbelievable. I had an H4 bulb before with a stock reflector and then a LED bulb but with the stock reflector. The new light came sealed with a special reflector made for the LED assembly it uses and is just so superior to what I had before it isn't even in the same league. I hope any of you guys with the older stock headlights will make this switch, my bike is a 2003 so the newer bikes might already be good for all I know.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
Orlando606VetteTrike

Post by Orlando606VetteTrike »

I installed a JW Speaker and it has to be the greatest improvement I've done since owning my bike. It's so nice being able to see, especially after breaking into my 50, night vision is not quite like it used to be. lol :-)
2008 606 Corvette Trike
TXscooterguy

Post by TXscooterguy »

SQ4MN wrote:The install is a 10 minute job and a flat and a phillips screwdriver are all the tools needed.
I'm glad your install went well. My stock bulb got so hot it melted the plastic socket. I had to solder in and shrink wrap a new socket. But it was certainly worth it. The high beam is really something, isn't it.
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

JW Speaker headlights. Thought I'd take a look on eBay WOW. Between £300 and £900 for a light bulb, A LIGHT BULB. maybe there is a lot of mark up but wow. What one do people go for?? Has anyone spent $1200 on a bulb
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

TXscooterguy wrote:
SQ4MN wrote:The install is a 10 minute job and a flat and a phillips screwdriver are all the tools needed.
I'm glad your install went well. My stock bulb got so hot it melted the plastic socket. I had to solder in and shrink wrap a new socket. But it was certainly worth it. The high beam is really something, isn't it.
Mine is sealed, I never saw the bulb or socket, only the 3 prong plug. DO YOU MEAN INSIDE THE SEALED UNIT YOUR SOCKET MELTED?

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
TXscooterguy

Post by TXscooterguy »

SQ4MN wrote:DO YOU MEAN INSIDE THE SEALED UNIT YOUR SOCKET MELTED?
No, I should have called it the 3-prong plug instead of a socket.
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

Thanks for clearing that up. I have been running an LED with no problems with a hot plug, I changed to the trucklite to get their reflector instead of my stock reflector which was designed for a normal bulb.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada