Acceleration hiccup

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
knockdolian

Acceleration hiccup

Post by knockdolian »

Hi all, took my trike to work today and thought I'd show off by giving it a hand full of throttle on front of my workmates. Very disappointing result. It initially lifted the front end then cut out, cut in, cut out then in till I shut the throttle a bit. It's a 1901 carb. Any ideas ?
Thanks
The Mindless Philosopher

Re: Acceleration hiccup

Post by The Mindless Philosopher »

knockdolian wrote:Hi all, took my trike to work today and thought I'd show off by giving it a hand full of throttle on front of my workmates. Very disappointing result. It initially lifted the front end then cut out, cut in, cut out then in till I shut the throttle a bit. It's a 1901 carb. Any ideas ?
Thanks
Paul,

You're firmly in my territory on this one. LOTS of things it could be. Simple stuff first:
- Dirty/clogged air filter atop the carburetor
- Loose positive battery cable (yep, it can vibrate loose and cause that behavior)
- Clogged inline fuel filter(s) or filter in the carburetor body
- Loose wire connector on fuel pump
- Loose fuel pump-to-electric fuel tank selector switch-inline fuse housing (especially the old schoool twist-lock type with a glass encased fuse inside)
- Loose wire(s) on electric fuel tank selector switch (if you have one in conjunction with an auxiliary tank)
- Exposed electrical wire making contact with the frame (could be dry-rotted split in the insulation)
- Pinched fuel line
- Loose carburetor base plate (extra air getting in)
- Loose carburetor vacuum line
- Loose vacuum advance line at the distributor
- Loose spark plug on one or more cylinders
- Loose ignition wire on one or more spark plugs
- Crack in ignition wire insulation
- Loose wire harness on the distributor cap (your tach needle will bounce a lot if this is the case)

More advanced issues to look into:
- Failing ignition module (inside the HEI distributor cap)
- Failing distributor (remove the cap and pull up on the rotor cap while it's still fastened down. The rotor/internal distributor shaft should not budge upward at all)
- Failing fuel pump
- Failing tank selector switch (if you're running an auxiliary tank)
- Failing continuous duty master solenoid
- Sticking carburetor "butterfly" plates (if I am recalling the term correctly)
- Other internal carburetor problems

I have experienced every single one of these over the past 2-1/2 years, except the pinched fuel line and sticking "butterflies."

The trick is to look for the simple problems first, no matter how tedious and time-consuming (electrical especially). Throw money at it after ruling out the simple stuff, but make sure you've been methodical and positively ruled things out via test equipment and methods.
Last edited by The Mindless Philosopher on Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Mindless Philosopher

Yep. The list is a mile long. There are likely a few other possibilities I am overlooking.

I wouldn't be quick to lay blame on the 1901 carburetor, though the internals can get gummed up and out of tolerance over time.

Mine was working fine but looked way too "iffy" from age and obvious external corrosion and "weeping" from the gasket areas where the upper carburetor body and base plate met. All visual indicators told me to play it safe and get a Carburetor Mike rebuild before it started giving me problems.

I got a Carburetor Mike Stage II build. Been pleased as punch ever since.
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

Wow, ever wished you hadn't asked a question !!!
I think many of them can be ruled out as it only does it with a handful from stationary. Any other time say from 10 mph up no problem. Also no problem cross count art. Well across an uneven field anyway. I'm leaning towards a carb issue as stated but no idea where to start. Maybe YouTube !!
The Mindless Philosopher

Be sure to post an update when you find a resolution.
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Could be as simple a shit gas (water ) Put a can of Seafoam in your next fill up .
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

hogv8 wrote:Could be as simple a shit gas (water ) Put a can of Seafoam in your next fill up .
Thanks, I have some of that. I'll give it a go. Keep forgetting I have that stuff
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

hogv8 wrote:Could be as simple a shit gas (water ) Put a can of Seafoam in your next fill up .

I agree 100% AND also a small can of gas line antifreeze...3 or 4 oz

I have had amazing results with Seafoam..mechanic in a can..lol
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

My bike always runs good but I still add a can of Seafoam every now and theN and it could be my imagination but the engine seems to fire up quicker and run crisper .
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

hogv8 wrote:My bike always runs good but I still add a can of Seafoam every now and theN and it could be my imagination but the engine seems to fire up quicker and run crisper .
Thanks I'll give it a go. The whole can or the reccomebed oz per gallon ??
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

knockdolian wrote:
hogv8 wrote:My bike always runs good but I still add a can of Seafoam every now and theN and it could be my imagination but the engine seems to fire up quicker and run crisper .
Thanks I'll give it a go. The whole can or the reccomebed oz per gallon ??
I use the whole can with a full tank of gas .