Front Tire

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Orlando606VetteTrike

Front Tire

Post by Orlando606VetteTrike »

When I purchased my bike it had a rear tire on the front mounted backwards. It was heavily worn on the l/h side. So, I purchased a Michelin Commander 2 front tire (made in Thailand). Read lots of great reviews about them. Once installed I had a vibration at 80. Tried static balance, no help, tried speed balance, no help. dyna beads, no help. I decided to live with it because I don't ride at that speed and to be honest didn't want to take it all apart and deal with sending it back (amazon purchased). I got like 6 or 7 K out of it, but it was finally showing signs of significant wear. Did some searching on here and on V8Bikeriders site and found lots of you used and like the Metzeler ME888. Well, bought one (again amazon) and this was made in Brazil. Mounted and performed static balance. Last night I went out for a ride and WOW, what a difference. So smooth and NO vibration at 80. Running 50 PSI. Felt like a new machine.
2008 606 Corvette Trike
mmaupin

Re: Front Tire

Post by mmaupin »

I tried a rear tire mounted backwards on my Goldwing trike. It had an annoying vibration as well.
Regards,

Mark

Puff

Post by Puff »

If anyone runs a tire "backwards" on the front,
how in the HECK can it diffuse water ????
Don't ride it like that in the rain !
I run a rear tire on the front, but in "forward"
rotation. Does fine for me. 140/90
Bill Van Sant

V8Norm

Post by V8Norm »

Just bought a new tire. have not put it on yet. looks good!

140/70B18 Metzeler ME880 Marathon $206 load 73 speed H
Norm
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

For the life of me I have no idea why anyone would run a rear tire on the front mounted backwards, but then again I wouldn't run a car tire either. But anyway I am using the Metzler ME888 Marathon Ultra and have been very happy with it.
2009 350/385 MBH bike