Check your throttle cable!!!

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Check your throttle cable!!!

Post by CanuckHoss »

A couple weeks ago while in Montana I noticed or thought that the throttle on the trike had more play than usual...I was away from home already so I just ran with it.

I got used to the play in it but this morning thought I had better take it and check it at the shop as it seemed to be even more play when I rode last night.

Pictures below are what it looked like when I just took off the cap of the throttle that is held with two screws. Then we changed to inside part...we meaning Josh with my help...lol

The trike has 16,000 miles....well worth the 2 minutes to check yours regardless of mileage and maybe lube it.
Attachments
IMG_1527.JPG
IMG_1525.JPG
IMG_1523.JPG
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
GordonBH

Re: Check your throttle cable!!!

Post by GordonBH »

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm going to check mine tomorrow...

ps do you have any for an SS just in case? or do you guys use an aftermarket one?
Gordon from England
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

I may have for an SS...if you just want to replace the inner that is an easy part to get I think...we had a 50" one and cut it to length when we installed it for my 502 BB trike without risers...even with risers it would have been long enough...it was simpler than I thought to install.
CanuckHoss

GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

Thanks Barry,

I'll check for inners that would be easier.

ps sent you 2 emails re swing arm bushings...
Gordon from England
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

GordonBH wrote:Thanks Barry,

I'll check for inners that would be easier.

ps sent you 2 emails re swing arm bushings...
OK...probably to my business email...will check tomorrow when we open again..thanks
CanuckHoss

Ravinsomniac

Post by Ravinsomniac »

My throttle cable wire broke a few years back and had a hard time finding a cable the same color to match. I ended up buying a bicycle brake wire replacement kit at Wal-Mart. The molded on barrel on the end of the wire is the same size. I slid the wire into my existing cable, pushed the barrel into the throttle assembly and hooked up the other end to the carb. Total cost was under 5 bucks and under a half hour to repair.
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Ravinsomniac wrote:My throttle cable wire broke a few years back and had a hard time finding a cable the same color to match. I ended up buying a bicycle brake wire replacement kit at Wal-Mart. The molded on barrel on the end of the wire is the same size. I slid the wire into my existing cable, pushed the barrel into the throttle assembly and hooked up the other end to the carb. Total cost was under 5 bucks and under a half hour to repair.

Quick easy fix for sure...
CanuckHoss

Imzz4

Post by Imzz4 »

I had ordered a throttle cable from Mark at Barnett Clutch, and he knew what I needed. The diameter of the inner cable is larger and he fixed me right up. Good guy to deal with if you are looking for a spare inner, or a new complete cable any length .
Stoneciphes

Post by Stoneciphes »

The Walmart brake cable works perfectly and gives you A spare
rocketsteve

Post by rocketsteve »

Don't have my BH just yet so I can't see the set-up, but are you able to keep your spare cable taped right next to the one in use?

Just swapping over the nipple ends on the roadside might get you a quick fix... :idea:

Edit: Be interested in knowing what the inner cable is chaffing on to cause the fraying, maybe a plastic sleeve needed there somewhere?
To test a man's character, give him (Hoss) power.
V8Bikers
Site Admin

Post by V8Bikers »

I've had 1 break in the middle of the cable. There was a good amount of rust in there and have to assume water got in there through the housing and down the cable sheath. Another time, the cable almost brake but managed to nearly rub through the metal elbow that goes into the housing. I would not tape your spare to the existing cable. Better off just keeping it stored somewhere on the bike - not sure if the ss has under seat storage?

DeLand, FL.

"This is just one of the many reasons I love V8Bikers; able to openly display T&A, curse, say what you will;
able to be a fucking man here. Thanks Bill" - Grand Canard
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

Hi Bill, no the SS has no underseat storage. I guess it's down to good maintenance/luck
Gordon from England
V8Bikers
Site Admin

Post by V8Bikers »

Maybe a small knapsack? When I ride alone I always use one to carry phone, tablet, a few tools, rags and other items. When Sue and I ride together we use her trunk.

DeLand, FL.

"This is just one of the many reasons I love V8Bikers; able to openly display T&A, curse, say what you will;
The Mindless Philosopher

Post by The Mindless Philosopher »

Mine snapped on the freeway just a few days after returning home from California back in May. It had sawn completely through the 45 degree elbow beneath the hand grip. Turns out the cable didn't have any slack in it at idle. This being my first ride (bike/trike) of any kind, the cable tension seemed normal. It wasn't until it popped and I saw the burred "coin slot" hacked in the inner bend of the elbow, that I researched and discovered the root cause was actually insufficient slack. I'm glad it happened in two lanes of light desert traffic and not in 6 lanes of California mad house. My new cable appears to have the right amount of play in it at idle now (no endless tension against the replacement elbow).

Definitely add the throttle cable to annual inspections (if not more often).
V8Bikers
Site Admin

Post by V8Bikers »

Agree, and disassemble the grip housing and shoot some lube down there at least yearly.

DeLand, FL.

hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

I think it is Barnett that sells what they call a custom throttle cable that doesn't have the bend . It comes straight out of the throttle housing , has a straight adjuster and is straight all the way to the carb . Only problem is I've only seen it in black but my cables are all black so that will be my next throttle cable . I think the bend in the housings causes pemature wear on the inner cable .
craig haymaker

Post by craig haymaker »

And Barnett is who BH gets their cables from, at least for the Joker controls I know. I had Mark (there) build me a longer throttle cable (80") when I moved the APPS (acc. pedal position SW.) back and out from under the gas tank.
Craig H.
johnny redneck

Post by johnny redneck »

There is a nylon sleeve the cable goes through in the curve of the housing. You do need to lubricate at least once a year, spray lube not silicone, or the nylon gets cut and the throttle starts to stick and then the cable snaps.
John