TRANSMISSION COOLER & ECT.

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
craig haymaker

TRANSMISSION COOLER & ECT.

Post by craig haymaker »

After reading all the responses from Knockdolian's OP beginning on 09/06/2016, I thought I'd interject my thoughts. My discussion can relate to both bikes & trikes.
I am so sorry that every one of these pics posted sideways, and I don't know how to correct ?

- First off lets address "unprotected radiators" :
Looks like 98% here run unprotected radiators ! The fine line and question in our minds here, is looks VS function.
I have selected a cold rolled plain steel, Hexagonal hole design, 22 gage, mill surface with a 79% open area at McNichols.com.
Very easy to cut and bend then power coat paint a color of your choice. I used the heavy type art paper that you buy from say Walmart, and layout and cut an exact template. This then is used to cut out your pattern on the steel. I also slit length wise, some 5/32" black poly tubing, to slip over the 12 high plastic chrome shroud supports, that radiate from center - outward around the circumference. This was to protect the chrome from peeling off (we've all seen that)! Miniature black nylon wire ties (black ones are UV resistant) are used to go around those radial spokes and through the screen, to secure in place. As seen, I cut-out the screen, to go around the fan motor's chrome cover.
IMG_0694.JPG

- Next comes added transmission cooling :
I believe in extra cooling period ! And I would highly recommend the B&M # 70265 a "plate and fin" design, like the factory used, before they began welding them to the LS radiators. These are "tuff" and can take small projectile rocks without harm. They have a 1/2" NPT inlet & outlet. These coolers are a perfect size to fit under and just ahead of the cross member. It's height also allows a slanted install, and along with shrouded air scoop, looks and WORKS good ! I have also installed 3- small IP64 60 CFM fans, mounted onto it's leaving air side.
IMG_0698.JPG
IMG_0690.JPG
IMG_0695.JPG
-- COOLER TEMP. CONTROL AND MONITORING --
If your machine is before the LS engines came out, then adding a SPDT 3- terminal (on-on) toggle switch + a temp. sensor, will allow the OEM coolant temp. gauge to be dual functional. This arrangement has been discussed many times, including wiring schematics.
However on the newer CanBus data com. OBD2 systems, DO NOT electrically tie into the existing temp. gage.
An added trans. temp. gauge, mounting means and a temp. sensor is needed. For this gauge, I went with matching my OEM Speedhut gages. I selected the exact style, face and font type gage that is on my trike, 60-260 deg. full scale range and labeled "Trans. Temp".
Because Boss Hoss does not offer this particular gage, and when you can prove to Speedhut (like a picture of your machine), that it is "your" machine that you are buying for, they will also put "BOSS HOSS" on it, to provide a exact match ! In my LS application I also added a SPDT 3- terminal switch and two temp. sending units. Flip the switch "forward" and read the oil temp. leaving the TQ (going to my two "in series" coolers). Flip the switch "back" and read the trans. oil pan (sump) temp. (the coolers returning oil - drops into the pan).
I built a gage housing and had it chromed, to hold the trans. temp. gage and two push button on-off switches.
I mounted it to be just above my handlebar to riser clamp, and to look as OEM as possible! On the top leaving air side of the added cooler, I installed 3- 60 CFM IP-65 12 VDC puller fans. These can energize in one of two ways :
1. A 190 deg. on - 180 deg. off, strap-on snap disc thermostat located on the metal line portion "leaving" the TQ.
2. An override push on-off button located on the left side of the trans. temp. gauge.
IMG_0692.JPG
IMG_0693.JPG
Thanks for letting me share, Craig Haymaker
Last edited by craig haymaker on Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knockdolian

Re: TRANSMISSION COOLER & ECT.

Post by knockdolian »

Interesting reading thanks. I have bought some mesh and plan to fit it over the winter. I have two fans on the front of mine and am planning to fit the mesh between the fans and the rad. Would be interesting to know if two is better than one. Bit of security should one fail. So you have two senders, one either side of the trans coolers. Do you have a thurmostat. Is there not a danger of over cooling the transmission ? I have never owned anything automatic before this so to find out I needed a cooler was a supprise especially when towing. Thanks
craig haymaker

Post by craig haymaker »

For the trans. temp. gauge I have two senders :
1. I have cut and installed a 3/8" brass pipe tee with barbed fitting in the tee's run, Into the forward trans./converter out rubber 3/8" line going to the coolers. I used a 3/8"X1/4" brass reducer on the other port for
sender.
2. On my 4L70E trans. oil pan, on the lowest vertical side, I drilled and installed a fitting to screw the temp. sender into, and this can be used as a drain port also.

For the added trans. cooler's 3-fans we talked about, they are automatically energized by that strap-on, snap-disc t-stat I was talking about, or the override push button mentioned.
My feelings are that lower trans. temps. is not a bad thing, at least in the temps. which we ride. More is better in our tranny's case ! On the other hand as we all know, our engines are "designed" to run at a certain temp. range. And running them at too low of coolant temps., causes excessive wear. And to be outright honest here, I see "little to no" difference in trans. oil pan temp. when manually running those added fans for a while in hot weather ! Maybe in extensive stop & go hot weather riding it would help! My fans have never came on by the t-stat !
V8Bikers
Site Admin

Post by V8Bikers »

Great Job Craig! Very clean and well thought out install. :capwin:

DeLand, FL.

"This is just one of the many reasons I love V8Bikers; able to openly display T&A, curse, say what you will;
able to be a fucking man here. Thanks Bill" - Grand Canard
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

This is mk1, an MGB oil cooler
This is mk1, an MGB oil cooler
Attachments
Then this. It's a Land Rover trans cooler and the fan is from China for £11 delivered.  I'll fit the heat sinc one and the bigger one under the body with a Thurmond valve and switch. That should do it ?? Only hope the damage hasn't been done. I've got a gauge on its way only because I rested it before I read about the two way switch
Then this. It's a Land Rover trans cooler and the fan is from China for £11 delivered. I'll fit the heat sinc one and the bigger one under the body with a Thurmond valve and switch. That should do it ?? Only hope the damage hasn't been done. I've got a gauge on its way only because I rested it before I read about the two way switch
IMG_0313.JPG
knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

Finally had a weekend free when I could get stuck in to the trike. Managed to service it. The transmission fluid was clean and sweet smelling so hopefully not too much damage done after boiling it. Fitted the finned cooler and a deep pan. I will fit the gauge when it gets here and see how things go before adding the other cooler
Attachments
IMG_0333.JPG