ODYSSEY BATTERY

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
SQ4MN

ODYSSEY BATTERY

Post by SQ4MN »

My 925 ODYSSEY battery seems to be finally going bad. The battery is over 6 years old so I think its done me right. I will replace it with the same kind. My solenoid is starting to click almost every time I start the bike. The ground cable snd connections are good. If I'm riding the bike on a ride I have no problems but if it sits for about 5 days it will barely start. I tried charging it with an Odyssey Battery Charger and that works for a bit but after 5 days its weak again. I will have the battery shop check to see if it has a weak cell but I will probably find it needs replacing. Mine is metal jacketed and I think I'll get the metal jacketed one again. The V8 Chopper has a 625 Odyssey battery in it and I had to finally replace that one last month, it lasted about 5 years. The new battery spins the motor so fast I don't even have to start it, I just put it in gear and hold the starter button then let off the button once I'm tired of burning rubber!
Last edited by SQ4MN on Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
Ron Radulski

Re: ODYSSEY BATTERY

Post by Ron Radulski »

SQ4MN wrote:My 925 ODYSSEY battery seems to be finally going bad. The battery is over 6 years old so I think its done me right. I will replace it with the same kind. My solenoid is starting to click almost every time I start the bike. The ground cable snd connections are good. If I'm riding the bike on a ride I have no problems but if it sits for about 5 days it will barely start. I tried charging it with an Odyssey Battery Charger and that works for a bit but after 5 days its weak again. I will have the battery shop check to see if it has a weak cell but I will probably find it needs replacing. Mine is metal jacketed and I think I'll get the metal jacketed one again. The V8 Chopper has a 625 Odyssey battery in it and I had to finally replace that one last month, it lasted about 5 years.
My Odyssey battery was 8 years old in June! I have it on a trickle charger 24/7 - 365 when not riding. Best battery I've ever owned.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I've been keeping my Odyssey on a battery tender... I used to get the click after a week or 2 of sitting... now it isn't an issue.

I hardwired the pigtail to the battery and ziptied the plug end to the frame. When I park I just pick 1 plug up off of the floor and plug it into the "bike". Takes 2 seconds.
1998 Wild One Custom - Homebuilt
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

So I went to the battery place today. They hooked up the tester and at first said it looked good. They then gave it a load test and it said REPLACE BATTERY. I don't mind replacing it after all the good years it gave me. I never bothered trickle charging it to keep it maintained and still got over six years out of it. It costed more at my battery place but they got it for me today. It was $197.00 for the metal jacketed one. I think on line they are around $160. I want to trailer it to LA tomorrow as we have a club ride on Saturday. Could have saved a little money by taking the Triumph but felt like riding the Boss. Since I got married Gina is always with me so I don't get to ride the V8 Chopper to much anymore, when I do its a treat.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
Ron Radulski

Post by Ron Radulski »

SQ4MN wrote:So I went to the battery place today. They hooked up the tester and at first said it looked good. They then gave it a load test and it said REPLACE BATTERY. I don't mind replacing it after all the good years it gave me. I never bothered trickle charging it to keep it maintained and still got over six years out of it. It costed more at my battery place but they got it for me today. It was $197.00 for the metal jacketed one. I think on line they are around $160. I want to trailer it to LA tomorrow as we have a club ride on Saturday. Could have saved a little money by taking the Triumph but felt like riding the Boss. Since I got married Gina is always with me so I don't get to ride the V8 Chopper to much anymore, when I do its a treat.
SQ4MN, First of all, what is the metal jacketed battery? Secondly, has Boss Hoss been installing the metal jacketed batteries on their new bikes and trikes? And if so, since when, if you know. Triker
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

odyssey makes the batteries METAL JACKETED and regular cased batteries. The metal jacketed ones are for extreme conditions, like in a dune buggy. Any application where there s lots of shaking or heavy vibrations on the battery. We probably don't need it but its not much more money so I just get it. I have no idea what BOSS HOSS comes with.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
2crzy

Post by 2crzy »

Just so you know the metal jacket comes off and you don't have to purchase one every time with a new battery.
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

2crzy wrote:Just so you know the metal jacket comes off and you don't have to purchase one every time with a new battery.
I NEVER KNEW THAT, LIVE AND LEARN, THANKS

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

I recently replaced my original battery of 7 years. I had no complaints with it and no reason to switch brands from the OEM battery so I replaced it with the same one. $169 with shipping on eBay --->

http://4xspower.com/shop/d-series/d925/
2009 350/385 MBH bike
Paul H

Post by Paul H »

Sonny, that's an Odyssey with a color change!!!!!

Paul H
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Yeah I guess as they are pretty similar.
2009 350/385 MBH bike
randy burkey

Post by randy burkey »

Hey SQ4MN ,, I read in you original post that you can do a burnout just from the power of your starter?? I ( and others ,I'm sure) would like to get pictures and specs of your impressive starter !! LOL
phpBB [video]
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

Randy, the picture is locked in my head, if I can upload it I will.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
Ravinsomniac

Post by Ravinsomniac »

I just ordered a new PC625 battery from Battery Mart for $109.95 delivered. I installed the last one in 2010. Five to six years seems to be the norm for these batteries.
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Being in the industry for 13 years and selling batteries to every make and model of motorcycle there seems no rhyme or reason to how long any battery lasts.

Some guys get 7 years out of a battery without ever using a Battery tender during the sitting winter months and others get 2 years....

If anyone gets 4 to 5 years there should be no complaints at all...
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

I have a PC925 - always on the tender but I see you talking about a PC625 (Available in the UK and cheaper). Obviously a lower power but is it strong enough for the Hoss?
Gordon from England
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

GordonBH wrote:I have a PC925 - always on the tender but I see you talking about a PC625 (Available in the UK and cheaper). Obviously a lower power but is it strong enough for the Hoss?
Small Blocks use the 680 and Big Blocks use the 925 ... Typically.

I have a Braille battery in mine now that is crazy Stupid high in cranking amps ( 1300ish I think ) but before that the 680 always seemed to start my bike just fine. When my bike got hit, the battery gave up the ghost shortly after so Mike put the Braille in mine because that is what he uses in the Vanquish for those insane power plants. Bike cranks so effortlessly now it is crazy.

Like Dave, I can do a burnout with my starter ;) OOH! Dave, Let's Drag race the bikes on starter only!!!
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
Ron Radulski

Post by Ron Radulski »

My small block came from the factory with a 925. Dennis, I will look into the crazy Braille battery you have in yours now when mine finally dies though. What number Braille battery are you using? Are BH bike and trike batteries the same dimensions?
Ravinsomniac

Post by Ravinsomniac »

I've always been curious about 'how it's made'. This is a 15 minute video about how the Odyssey is put together.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkstixBuwjc
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Great video !
2009 350/385 MBH bike
GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

really interesting! does that make me a sad git? if so I don't care.

But that guy has to be holding up an empty demo case at the end! or he's superhuman!
Gordon from England
Ron Radulski

Post by Ron Radulski »

Great video! My battery is 9 years old.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Thanks for the video. Had no idea how any battery was built, and now I know how my battery was built.
1998 Wild One Custom - Homebuilt